Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-15-2022, 07:43 PM

Default Appliance guys...

Ok...

Our washer and dryer are about 15 1/2 years old (Kenmore). Yeah, some may think it is time to upgrade, which I fully respect...hehe

Anyways...washing machine still working 100%.

Dryer has an issue, noticed by my wife today. If you face it (direction info only), the rear right corner gets very hot when the wet clothes first go in. Gets back to normal after clothes get dryer with the cycle. There are no new excessive noise noted (ie. bearings...if any located there).

Having said that, I am worried about excessive heat possibly being a fire hazard. So the dryer was shut down.

I checked the main duct-OK. Checked the actual vertical vent to the roof-OK. Vent screen at bottom is OK. Lint screen has always cleaned.

My question is this: What would cause heat build up at that particular corner? What is there? Put a hand on it and cannot keep it there due to heat.

Ya...maybe time for a new one.

But I would like some input, and maybe check things out by tearing this thing open. Maybe be a simple fix...don't know...

Any advice would be much appreciated...scrap it and get a new one, or some
stupid small thing I am missing here?

As usual, TYVM for any advice...
Old 02-15-2022, 10:02 PM

Kenmore was made by a few different manufacturers of appliances. Depends on the model, it could be made by GE, Whirlpool or Frigidaire.
Most likely the heat you feel is the actual heating element, it is located at the back of the dryer. When it first starts, it goes on max heat and then it cycles on/off or goes into lower wattage… The hot spot can be normal in that case.
The biggest problem with all dryers is the actual venting. The lint will accumulate in the exhaust and can block the airflow substantially but that usually will prevent the dryer from drying ( the thermostat will kick in and turn the heat off).
Old 02-16-2022, 06:12 AM

yea its probably where the heater element is. there really isnt much to the old dryers to go wrong and they're stupid easy to fix. mine has burned out high switch cause of lack of cleaning lint traps (my bad) theres a ton of y-tubr stuff for them dont be shy to take back off and look, make sure you unplug/disconnect breaker first. My rule of thumb is some guy built it overseas that could'nt even spell dryer so I should be able to figure it out!
Old 02-16-2022, 08:31 AM

Default My $0.02

It does sound like an issue with the heat source, is it a gas or electric dryer? Try running the dryer on air only setting to see if it causes excessive heat. If it stays cool to the touch, you will have part of the answer.
It could be something as simple as a heat shield/exhaust pipe (if gas) being out of place, a high temperature limit switch has failed, or the electronic control module is the problem. (calling for heat beyond the safety limits)

Plug the dryer model number into the online parts suppliers to see what parts are available before you start tearing it apart. If it looks like all the parts are listed for purchase, it won't hurt to have a look inside. If all you can buy is a replacement motor and a lint screen? It could still be repairable, but you have to decide how much money you are willing to dump into it before you call an appliance repair shop.

Online parts suppliers:
https://www.reliableparts.ca/section...ber-on-a-dryer

https://www.partselect.ca/Find-Your-...el-Number.aspx

https://www.amresupply.com/catalog/Dryer-Parts-637107

Remember, appliance repair is easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg appliance repair is easy.jpg (40.4 KB, 27 views)

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 02-16-2022, 09:33 AM

Thanx for the tips guys. Will drill down further...

And it is electric.
Old 02-16-2022, 01:16 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Disconnect the vent and clean it really good, including t
Into the area where it attaches to the wall and dryer
Pull lint trap and I used the long skinny nozzle on the vacuum and got right down into that area
Lots of crap got sucked into the vacuum
Hooked everything back up and ran it again
Could hear crap moving out to the vent hose so repeated the entire cleaning and dryer hot spot and issues went away
Now I clean it more often and our appliances too are 15 years old
Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-16-2022, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Ok...

Our washer and dryer are about 15 1/2 years old (Kenmore). Yeah, some may think it is time to upgrade, which I fully respect...hehe

Anyways...washing machine still working 100%.

Dryer has an issue, noticed by my wife today. If you face it (direction info only), the rear right corner gets very hot when the wet clothes first go in. Gets back to normal after clothes get dryer with the cycle. There are no new excessive noise noted (ie. bearings...if any located there).

Having said that, I am worried about excessive heat possibly being a fire hazard. So the dryer was shut down.

I checked the main duct-OK. Checked the actual vertical vent to the roof-OK. Vent screen at bottom is OK. Lint screen has always cleaned.

My question is this: What would cause heat build up at that particular corner? What is there? Put a hand on it and cannot keep it there due to heat.

Ya...maybe time for a new one.

But I would like some input, and maybe check things out by tearing this thing open. Maybe be a simple fix...don't know...

Any advice would be much appreciated...scrap it and get a new one, or some
stupid small thing I am missing here?

As usual, TYVM for any advice...
I'm willing to bet that your drum motor is located in that corner. Motor is probably on its way out and with the increased load of WET closes starts to heat up. As the clothes dry the implied load on the motor lessons and it cools off.