Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-13-2020, 05:22 AM

Default Caldwell Lead Sled Question

Hi I would like to know if other users here use the lead sled to set up there rifles?
i bought mine 5 years ago and wanted to get my rifles sighted in and I am
finding that the front holder wobbles with lots of play until you lock the screw tight and the rear holder where the gun butt sits is loosely in the holder.
I get frustrated using it because the gun isn't secured properly and if I shoot my short barreled guns I cannot hold the front down properly and bullets travel high due to the design of the sled.
I won't use a gun with a hard butt plate in it cause I am scared to crack my stocks.
Any one out there having the same issues or any suggestions to modify it to make it work for me.
Beadrick
Old 05-13-2020, 05:48 AM

I have seen people fight with those things at the range for years. The easiest solution is to change to a bag setup.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:02 AM

After seeing a couple of cracked stocks resulting from using a lead sled, I don't bother with them. A proper rest and bags have always worked well for me.
Old 05-13-2020, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beadrick View Post
Hi I would like to know if other users here use the lead sled to set up there rifles?
i bought mine 5 years ago and wanted to get my rifles sighted in and I am
finding that the front holder wobbles with lots of play until you lock the screw tight and the rear holder where the gun butt sits is loosely in the holder.
I get frustrated using it because the gun isn't secured properly and if I shoot my short barreled guns I cannot hold the front down properly and bullets travel high due to the design of the sled.
I won't use a gun with a hard butt plate in it cause I am scared to crack my stocks.
Any one out there having the same issues or any suggestions to modify it to make it work for me.
Beadrick
Have one and do not have any issues with a wobbly front end, in fact rarely tighten the lock screw and the platform is nice and stable. I have no issues with the rear either, keeping in mind one still needs to pull the rifle rearward and hold it in a stable and secure position. I really like using it to sight in and for load development purposes, especially shooting heavy recoiling magnums. A common complaint is that the sled can cause stock damage. I have used mine for years with no problems. IMO it is important not to weight the sled down with too much ballast and allow it to move slightly rearward when shooting heavy recoiling rifles. With non magnum rifles I use no ballast at all. I know several people do not like them however, I believe as with any tool one needs to learn how to use it effectively. Even though I have a gun vice, sometimes I use the sled to hold and secure rifles when cleaning or performing mechanical work. Totally happy with mine.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:47 AM

Really hard on a stock, I cracked my 30-06 in one.
Old 05-13-2020, 10:01 AM

The stock issue isn't one with synthetics
Old 05-13-2020, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
The stock issue isn't one with synthetics
Actually it is, one of the cracked stocks that I saw, was a B&C synthetic.
Old 05-14-2020, 06:42 PM

I used to use one. Switched over to bags. Wayyy better for me
Old 05-14-2020, 06:51 PM

I think if the recoil is a real issue then a lead sled my be your answer. I have used one but didn't like it much.

However if you want to get used to shooting your rifle go with bags off a table, or a bi-pod shooting prone.
Old 05-14-2020, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckman View Post
I think if the recoil is a real issue then a lead sled my be your answer. I have used one but didn't like it much.

However if you want to get used to shooting your rifle go with bags off a table, or a bi-pod shooting prone.
I’m not an expert but if it’s a heavy recoiling gun I’d think it would be even more likely to cause damage in a sled. Shoot those babies from a standing rest.
Old 05-15-2020, 03:22 AM

Wanted a lead sled years ago but I was also worried about recoil damaging the rifle - especially on larger bore with heavy bullets and magnum rifles with lots of energy

So I ended up buying a Hyskore

https://hyskore.com/rifle-rests/

It is very accurate and reasonably repeatable - although it is something you really have to spend time with set up adjusting between shots

I don't use it much anymore - tend to shoot off a bipod like I do in the field.

However it is a nice piece of equipment to use when need calls.

It has hydraulic dampeners so as to not damage the rifles by slowing the recoil (effectively lowering the impulse) rather than a dead stop like in a lead sled.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post
Wanted a lead sled years ago but I was also worried about recoil damaging the rifle - especially on larger bore with heavy bullets and magnum rifles with lots of energy

So I ended up buying a Hyskore

https://hyskore.com/rifle-rests/

It is very accurate and reasonably repeatable - although it is something you really have to spend time with set up adjusting between shots

I don't use it much anymore - tend to shoot off a bipod like I do in the field.

However it is a nice piece of equipment to use when need calls.

It has hydraulic dampeners so as to not damage the rifles by slowing the recoil (effectively lowering the impulse) rather than a dead stop like in a lead sled.
They look to be well made and a quality piece of equipment.
As for the Lead Sled, I find with mine, if I do not weight it down and let it move upon firing, it works just fine causing no damage to rifle stocks. A important basic rule of physics is the absorption of energy over distance, that is why auto manufactures developed padded dashes in automobiles years ago. Trying to stop or contain energy without involving absorption over distance is what results in damage. That is what the hydraulic dampeners accomplish with your Hyskcore.
Old 05-15-2020, 06:36 PM

Default Caldwell Lead Sled Question

I have decided that I will try shooting bags and will look at modifying my lead sled since I am a mechanic by trade I am sure that I can come up with a fix that will satisfy me.
Thank you guys for your suggestions.
Beadrick
Old 05-15-2020, 07:11 PM

I have used a lead sled for over a decade on many wood stock and synthetic rifles. We don’t put weight in them any more just because we don’t like packing the plates around But we used to load it up. I’ve never had a broken stock and I would bet that that doesn’t happen nearly as much as people who just want to poo poo the product let on.

If your just table top shooting they work fine. If you want something that can work in more austere locations a bipod and a rear bag is better don’t buy a cheap bipod on Amazon I’ve been down that path to it just ends up with a modified junk bipod that you can’t return.
Old 05-15-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
I have used a lead sled for over a decade on many wood stock and synthetic rifles. We don’t put weight in them any more just because we don’t like packing the plates around But we used to load it up. I’ve never had a broken stock and I would bet that that doesn’t happen nearly as much as people who just want to poo poo the product let on.

If your just table top shooting they work fine. If you want something that can work in more austere locations a bipod and a rear bag is better don’t buy a cheap bipod on Amazon I’ve been down that path to it just ends up with a modified junk bipod that you can’t return.
Yes a table top or any smooth shooting platform works just fine. The critical factor is, they must be able to move just a little upon recoil. Used mine again today. I have shot many different rifles from the sled including heavy recoiling magnums and never damaged a one. Just don't weight them down to excess. After participating in this discussion, today I made a conscious observation of the sleds movement and could clearly see evidence based on before and after firing that the sled moved backwards with some rifles up to one half an inch.That's all that's necessary to absorb recoil over distance.
Old 05-15-2020, 10:00 PM

I bought one because I thought I needed it, when I started shooting. I used it a few times...didn't like it, couldn't get comfortable. Sold it, now I shoot off of bags, much happier.
Old 05-16-2020, 08:51 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
After seeing a couple of cracked stocks resulting from using a lead sled, I don't bother with them. A proper rest and bags have always worked well for me.
100% all day long....good advice...

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 05-18-2020, 01:57 PM

I have a lead sled , it is now collecting dust as I went with bags, 10X times better , Lead sled is only good for a rest to to clean your guns