Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-19-2017, 11:45 AM

Default ATV advice. Honda vs yamaha

Hey guys, I'm looking for some feedback, opinions, pros cons etc from people with personal experience. Looking at new honda 420 rancher IRS EPS automatic with electric manual shift and also looking at the yamaha Kodiak 450 EPS. They share a lot of similar features and are in the same price range. Biggest difference is in the transmission, yamaha having their belt drive vs honda with more of an automotive style gear transmission with dual clutches. Thanks for any thoughts you would like to share.
Old 09-19-2017, 11:58 AM

Both are the best quality machines. Buy one where you are comfortable with dealership. Support local if you can.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:02 PM

Honda, honda, honda
Old 09-19-2017, 12:04 PM

HONDA.

Both are great machines but I do not want to depend on a belt that could let go and leave me stranded.

I have researched Hondas, Yamahas and Suzukis when I bought mine. Ended up getting a Foreman. Happy, no issues.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:05 PM

You already pointed out the most important difference. The Honda transmission is what puts them way out in front.

Full disclosure I previously owned both brands, and was never let down by either. But if you asked me which I one I would ride 30 k into the bush, no question it's Honda.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:10 PM

Yamaha!!!
Old 09-19-2017, 12:29 PM

Go with the Yamaha for the CVT style transmission. Blows any Honda offering out of the water. Always in the right gear, smooth as butter and belt life is fantastic.
Old 09-19-2017, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
Go with the Yamaha for the CVT style transmission. Blows any Honda offering out of the water. Always in the right gear, smooth as butter and belt life is fantastic.
Thanks for the reply, I heard they are way better for shift points and it always feels like the right gear. I heard the honda in automatic is sometimes looking for gears on inclines and what not, sometimes have to switch to manual. But the thought of a belt worries me. I haven't looked into them much but are they sealed away from the elements and deep mud? And how big of a job are they to change? Somethjng that could be done on the trail?
Old 09-20-2017, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
This. Run a 450 kodiak since 2004, changed belt at 5500kms and 500hrs.
Always in the right gear, throttle and go.
Old 09-22-2017, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Both are the best quality machines. Buy one where you are comfortable with dealership. Support local if you can.
Yup, what he said, but you do meet the nicest people on a Honda, LoL.
Rob
Old 09-22-2017, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Yup, what he said, but you do meet the nicest people on a Honda, LoL.
Rob

To be fair I have met some very nice people under their Polaris machines, working on them.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:50 PM

I think Yamaha has come a long ways I had a 2006 grizzly in my opinion was not a good machine. They sputters in the water until it cooled down the belt got wet cause of intakes( thus clutch gets dirty ) the drive shat would pop out have to be put back in but they never sealed good. That was my experince but they did improve greatly since this year but I sold my grizzly after one year and bought a ringcon in 2008 not the power house of a grizzly gets the job done but it's 2017 and I still have the same quad
Old 09-23-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
I think Yamaha has come a long ways I had a 2006 grizzly in my opinion was not a good machine. They sputters in the water until it cooled down the belt got wet cause of intakes( thus clutch gets dirty ) the drive shat would pop out have to be put back in but they never sealed good. That was my experince but they did improve greatly since this year but I sold my grizzly after one year and bought a ringcon in 2008 not the power house of a grizzly gets the job done but it's 2017 and I still have the same quad
My 07 rincon has 24k on it. It needed a new spark plug,and needs a new tie rod .
Old 09-19-2017, 04:50 PM

I have a Honda 420 Rancher
8000 km on it

Zero mechanical issues

Ive changed cv boots just to do it

Oil changes, fluid changes, clean gas

I know nothing of Yamahas tho.

I would buy another Honda tomorrow.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:04 PM

Thanks for all the replies and opinions guys, much appreciated. So far I'm leaning on the Kodiak. And for the guys that said can am, I would love to but it's out of my budget unless I go used. And I'd rather new.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grmpy View Post
Thanks for all the replies and opinions guys, much appreciated. So far I'm leaning on the Kodiak. And for the guys that said can am, I would love to but it's out of my budget unless I go used. And I'd rather new.
Opinions here are biased, opinionated, sometimes rude, uninformed, over informed, friendly, goofy, intelligent. Its up to you to decide which is what. Or,,,,, trust friends, your own research and you needs. Most people that say honda have likely never owned anything else, same with the Yamaha folks, both are fine machines and there can be a lemon in any brand. I saw you mentioned not wanting used, I would go used in a heart beat, i have bought several used machines that were fantastic and sold several that I would trust my daughter on. Know what your looking for and know who your dealing with. Ive never owned a honda (vanilla) and have had very good yam's, polaris and currently run a 1000XMR canam on tracks. Just do your research and watch out for the internet hero's,,,, good luck on you search
Old 09-19-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xbolt7mm View Post
Opinions here are biased, opinionated, sometimes rude, uninformed, over informed, friendly, goofy, intelligent. Its up to you to decide which is what. Or,,,,, trust friends, your own research and you needs. Most people that say honda have likely never owned anything else, same with the Yamaha folks, both are fine machines and there can be a lemon in any brand. I saw you mentioned not wanting used, I would go used in a heart beat, i have bought several used machines that were fantastic and sold several that I would trust my daughter on. Know what your looking for and know who your dealing with. Ive never owned a honda (vanilla) and have had very good yam's, polaris and currently run a 1000XMR canam on tracks. Just do your research and watch out for the internet hero's,,,, good luck on you search
I know what you mean, I've been reading and watching countless reviews, but I know everything is biased. That's why I was looking for people with these machines to chime in with what they like and don't like. I have 4 old Honda's in my garage now, all from the 80s. I just want something brand new so I know the machine, know what it's been through and know all the maintenance will be done properly and regularly.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grmpy View Post
I know what you mean, I've been reading and watching countless reviews, but I know everything is biased. That's why I was looking for people with these machines to chime in with what they like and don't like. I have 4 old Honda's in my garage now, all from the 80s. I just want something brand new so I know the machine, know what it's been through and know all the maintenance will be done properly and regularly.
Grmpy, one thing I don't think anyone has mentioned yet is by buying new, you will have the chance of the newest technology.

I'll give an example - the older 400 that I sold to my brother? It was a 2006 machine with a carb. I used to take it to a plane crash site South of Coleman, above the tree line. That poor little quad would start stumbling and coughing half way up there and by the time we reached the crash site, it was working hard just because of the carb! However, my FIL had a newer fuel injected machine and had full power without a glitch at the top. That's what convinced my to upgrade to a newer used unit with fuel injection.

I'm not sure about the newer Hondas as I have stopped looking, but I know the Honda work machines we have here are about a 50/50 mix between carbs and fuel injection. I can't see myself ever stepping over a carb unit again....

J.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:09 PM

Total honda guy but my 2007 grizzly 700 with the efi and eps. (Power assist steering) blows any honda away. I mine and prospect gold where no man or beast has ever been. I put my life in that machines hands. Enough power to get you out of a bind. 400 and 500cc machines are fine till you try to climb a mountain or got serious sticky mud to deal with. I seen those little Hondas plugged up so tight with mud they won't move. Depends what you want it for. Better too much gun than not enough I always say.
Old 09-22-2017, 10:29 AM

I have two Hondas, a 1992 Honda 350 (4 wheel drive) and a 1989 Honda 250 (2 wheel drive) both are used as working bikes at our camp, so lots of log pulling, rough terrain and countless miles. I would love to have an excuse to buy a new bike, but other than oil changes, occasional new spark plugs, and worn out parts (brakes, mufflers) I can't justify the purchase. Honda just never quit.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:14 PM

Honda has done we well over the years.

Picked up a 420 two years ago with tires and tracks, 10 to 11.000 k by tires and 7000 k on tracks,,, thats half distance at 3500 kms.

Covered most of Alberta's Eastern Slopes and many areas in BC last winter.

Been tapping it kool with this unit since folks said that the axles will brake due to extra stress from the tracks.

So far so good as I go into winter 3 with no damage or broken parts.

The 420 is like a miniature D 4 cat on the hills.
Do the all season tracks as they will take many places.

Don

PS: All units now days work good, just find a dealer you can work with incase you need things sorted at some point.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:59 AM

28000 extremely hard Kms. the Honda and the other Honda has 17000 Kms. very dependable machines. Brakes and the odd oil change are the only things done to the machines.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
28000 extremely hard Kms. the Honda and the other Honda has 17000 Kms. very dependable machines. Brakes and the odd oil change are the only things done to the machines.
Wow, 17000 km on Honda. With basic maintenance. My lil Honda 2000 Honda rancher has 2800 km. If I live to 2050 I can drive lil honda in Vintage ATV Parade. The machine might make it into the 22nd century.I won't need another machine ever.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:26 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmtada View Post
Wow, 17000 km on Honda. With basic maintenance. My lil Honda 2000 Honda rancher has 2800 km. I won't need another machine ever. If I live to 2050, I can drive it in Vintage Atv Parade, won't have 10,000 km on it. It Might live to 2100.
Had mine in to get the brakes done and dealership said they see these fourtrax come in with plus 30K on them as they are widely used by many companies that require thier employees to use an atv...now you know how employees use company equipment and they can't afford downtime so they run with Honda's.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...