Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2009, 10:35 PM

If I became unwanted, and my owner wanted to:

A: Sell me for slaughter

B: Haul me to the auction to be sold for slaughter

C: Let me loose in the wild

I know which one I would choose!
Old 04-28-2009, 10:53 PM

Wonder how long domesticated horses can go without proper foot care in the wild? Does a ferrier not have to do work on their hooves each year so that their feet stay healthy? I've seen wild horses (on tv, I'm no expert) with bad feet that could barely walk. That would be a horrible way to go... pass the bullet please..shoot me now!!
Old 04-29-2009, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Does a ferrier not have to do work on their hooves each year so that their feet stay healthy?
Every six weeks , I think ?

Wasn't there a rescue over by Revelstoke this winter ? Did that fellow get charged for leaving them in the bush ?
Old 04-29-2009, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
I so happen to know you're just kiddin'. Having said that, horses deserve much better. These animals have been faithfully at our sides though countless battles. They belong right along our side throughout history.
actualy its true what i said about bears loveing horse flesh
espeacialy grizzley
there was a grizzley(might evan still be in there) a few years back in the blackstone gap,that hunted stricktly horses espeacialy ones that were hobbled or tethered
as for beleiving the farmer should be charged yes sir he should be charged
under cruelty to animals act
and yes a horse is a good and loyal freind that deserves to be treated as one
as far as I,m concerned , that is how that farmer would like to be treated??
that is probably how he treats his freinds?
or wife?
or children?
how would he like to be dumped off by his family & freinds.
rt in the middle of skid row and told he is to to much trouble and his costs of keeping him are way to high so just dump the farmer off on skid row,wth no money or food ,tell him to fend for himself & not to return home.
someplace he is unfamilair wth makeing his way around
lets see how that @$$hole makes out
Old 04-29-2009, 07:22 AM
gitrdun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
If I became unwanted, and my owner wanted to:

A: Sell me for slaughter

B: Haul me to the auction to be sold for slaughter

C: Let me loose in the wild

I know which one I would choose!
The choice is pretty obvious but you're straying away from the owner's responsibility as livestock owner. There are "rescue" centers which will take the horses at no costs. This loser released some colts or fillies, and an adult mare apparently. Very desirable horses for some. A rescue center is only a phone call away, the one that I know of would have picked them up for free. At the center, they are then vet checked, fed and their feet are taken care of. A suitable home is then found. Turning them loose is certainly not a better option than this.
Old 04-29-2009, 08:56 AM
Fishing Gal

Quote:
The choice is pretty obvious but you're straying away from the owner's responsibility as livestock owner. There are "rescue" centers which will take the horses at no costs. This loser released some colts or fillies, and an adult mare apparently. Very desirable horses for some. A rescue center is only a phone call away, the one that I know of would have picked them up for free. At the center, they are then vet checked, fed and their feet are taken care of. A suitable home is then found. Turning them loose is certainly not a better option than this.
x2.
Old 04-29-2009, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuck44 View Post
The crown land up and down the forest trunk road 2hrs north and south of Calgary is full of free range cattle put out by ranchers, could this be a similar situation?

It seems everybody is real quick to condemn something they don't really know much about. I don't know the area but just because he is releasing them does not mean he is abandoning them.
Could not agree with you more. This is why vigilante justice has been outlawed. People hear a story and the guy is already strung up with no evidence, and no trial. IF he did abandon them, he deserves to be punished. But, we need proof first. People here tell stories of "poachers" being called "hunters" and say "Don't group us hunters with poachers". Don't group this guy with people who actually abandon animals until he is found guilty.
Old 04-29-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunman300 View Post
Could not agree with you more. This is why vigilante justice has been outlawed. People hear a story and the guy is already strung up with no evidence, and no trial. IF he did abandon them, he deserves to be punished. But, we need proof first. People here tell stories of "poachers" being called "hunters" and say "Don't group us hunters with poachers". Don't group this guy with people who actually abandon animals until he is found guilty.

I know Mike and the area. He's not one to make up stories and the area he is talking about is crown land not some grazing lease. There were horses dumped not far from there 2 years ago {Lingrel Pit rd}, and I'm pretty sure none of them made it {the big black one was gorgeous if you seen it}.

In short it's no story and you should be grouping this guy with people who abandon animals.

Then again it is spring bear and I bet there is nothing quite like some live bait

** cue scene from Jurassic Park**
Old 05-02-2009, 11:21 AM

I was with Mike K when the spca arrived last wednesday. We helped them catch all but 1. I saw the colt yesterday morning on the way to work. Not sure if they picked that one up yet. The ones we did catch looked mal norished and were very hungry. Its sad to see the horses in that shape. You could tell that the mare (in the worst shape of all of them) had been handled by people in the past and was very well tempered.

I hope the rancher is charged.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:31 AM

This is just kinda sad. I'm not a farmer, and i'm certainly no expert. But I love horses, and hope to one day live out in the country where I can have some of my own. I find it hard to believe there was noone this man could have found that wanted these horses. Hell I could think of a few friends and family of mine right off the top of my head that would take in colts. It was a cop out as far as i'm concerned.
Old 05-02-2009, 05:22 PM
gitrdun

Based on what I've seen posted, there is no doubt in my mind that the horses were dumped. Then in another thread, wild horses are being discussed and the general concensus is that they ought to be shot on site. Just today, my good friend and neighbour voiced a similar opinion because the wild horses supposedly eat grass that cattle are being deprived of. Ok, I'll give you that, but who initiates the problem in the first place? Irresponsible WANNABE RANCHERS that suddenly have to many horses that cannot be fed when times are hard. I'm still of the opinion that this man ought to be tarred and feathered and then kicked in the nuts.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Based on what I've seen posted, there is no doubt in my mind that the horses were dumped. Then in another thread, wild horses are being discussed and the general concensus is that they ought to be shot on site. Just today, my good friend and neighbour voiced a similar opinion because the wild horses supposedly eat grass that cattle are being deprived of. Ok, I'll give you that, but who initiates the problem in the first place? Irresponsible WANNABE RANCHERS that suddenly have to many horses that cannot be fed when times are hard. I'm still of the opinion that this man ought to be tarred and feathered and then kicked in the nuts.
kicked in the nuts is mild
i say stake him on an ant hill wth a toilet paper tube soaked in honey stuck up his rectum woops rectum omg kilt him
Old 05-02-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
Yesterday I watched a Guy with his Ranch Name and logo alover his truck and trailer back up on to a oil lease at km 2-95 on the two lakes (approx 100 km SW) of Grande Prairie unload 4 colts and one mare into the ditch and then drive away, and leave them there, This morning I drove by this morning there was a few left by the road, I called the RCMP and they went to investigate last night Havnt heard back yet. Now I feel bad for farm animals that get sold and shipped off, but as a farmer this is unexecptable, you cant dump unwanted livestock in the bush its illegal, plain and simple and If I hit one on the way home thats the owners fault and he should be liable, if my cows got out on the road and got hit I would be sued, and rightfully so. Please let me know what you thin kand If you want I'll give you the ranch Name. I contacted him this morning and he said the just go wild, and that they would have to of been put down otherwise,, Thats Farming. If everyone did that wed be over run with loose livestock
Mike, so what's the name of the ranch ?