Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-30-2020, 09:13 AM

Default Moose Hunting Success

Guys how was your moose hunting success this fall. My partner and I almost never miss getting a moose for last 60 years. we were skunked this fall. He is 80 this fall so slowing down a bit but I am only a young 75.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:16 AM

Great job on getting out and trying, I'm 60 years old and my body is breaking down after 25 years of guiding hardly hunted at all this fall very depressing.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2020, 09:28 AM

Default moose

Whelen, we always hunt hard including this year. We work the bush and usually track, kick a bull moose out of his bed then schut him. However without tracks we can not find a moose. Lots of wolves though.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:00 AM

I was hunting SW Alberta for awesome foothill bull moose, knew there were two bulls that would break 50” on the ranch hunted hard all season with the goal of only harvesting either of these bulls. The smaller of the two dropped his antlers November 28 as I watched him cross into a spot I could shoot, he got a pass as a result but it was cool to pick up his fresh sheds. The larger of the two I got on yesterday morning after having to let him walk in the archery season twice because I didn’t have a shot, unfortunately even after I closed the distance some willows blocked his vitals and I had to let him walk again. Back at work today but I had more fun chasing those two giants then I ever have before and I would do it all again the exact same way. Had I shot a meat bull earlier in the year I never would have got to experience the thrill of hunting such trophies these last few days. Such is hunting.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I think the biggest success was that you were out there! Gonna sit this afternoon but will more than likely pass unless its a cranker...the little ones can grow another year but when it comes to moose I seem to be on the if its legal I take it side of things.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-30-2020, 12:00 PM

Managed to fill my bull tag just east of the wainwright base. If I'm being honest, I was hoping for a bigger bull as the area holds some true giants. But from not seeing anything big on the cameras this year and limited time to hunt, I happily settled on a good eating bull.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4431-2.jpg (125.8 KB, 419 views)
Old 11-30-2020, 12:25 PM

Default Lots of hours on ground but no success

Both myself and my Dad (75 years of age) spent many days in the field this year trying to track down a Bull that my Dad was drawn for. Like everyone else we ran into issues with wolves. Everytime we zeroed in on some fresh sign of Moose in the area we were hunting, the wolves then moved in and the Moose disappeared. Thought that our chances were going to be really good based on early season scouting as I had three bulls on trail cameras. Oh well...maybe next time!
Old 11-30-2020, 12:48 PM

Default moose

My 2 son's were lucky enough to harvest these great bulls
One touches on 50"s and the other we figure damaged his horn during velvet to grow a unique side

Cheers FH

IMG_2332.jpg

IMG_2872.jpg

IMG_2323.jpg

IMG_2869.jpg
Old 12-01-2020, 09:58 AM

Default moose

Guys, agree we probably had some good success in parkland country where we have no wolves, bears and lots of good eats. Would like to hear how some of you guys made out in foothills and boreal areas.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:11 AM

God willing, I wanna be just like you guys when I grow up. Meant with sincerity I've only got 10 years to match your current status. Keep at her fellas.

I have seen many bulls and cows in the foothills and mountain zones but getting a tag takes like........ciphering..........I would be 90 before I'm drawn lol. So, I put in for tags well N of my home zone.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:18 AM

wasn't hunting moose this year but we saw 5 cows . My buddy got his bull first day out in 304 . we were in 310 .
Old 12-01-2020, 10:32 AM

I managed to find a bull in one of the 500 zones in the NW. Hasn't been good for moose in the last 10 years but actually saw 2 bulls this year.

The elk on the other hand were not where they usually hang out for me.
[/IMG]
Old 12-01-2020, 10:46 AM

Did pretty well with the zones i hunt... total moose seen combination bull cow amd calf. 49 moose

Dropped my first ever double droptine bull for 2020

Old 12-01-2020, 01:43 PM

Seen more Moose this year than years prior, our group managed to drop a Bull and 2 Calves
Old 12-01-2020, 03:33 PM

Default Bigbore

Very nice moose! That is a quite a unique rack!
Old 12-01-2020, 04:33 PM

Had a really good year moose wise! The area we hunt the farmland borders the crown! 4 out of 5 moose tags in our group filled!! My son could have filled his tag making it 5 but he decided to not shoot as we were pretty far in and i left my chainsaw at home!!Talked to a fish a wildlife officer and he was amazed at the moose population in the area!!
Old 12-01-2020, 06:02 PM

I live and hunt in zones 204 and 230, numbers and quality are both down. I did not have a tag this year but as someone who spends a lot of time in the field it is disheartening to see the prairie zones being depleted. If you had a tag and didn't get one. I feel it is your fault as they are definitely out there but not at the numbers they were even 5 years ago. Congrats to al the successful hunters.
Old 12-01-2020, 10:07 PM

I was lucky and got my personal best this season
Believe me I couldn’t be happier, to me it’s a moose of a lifetime but being a deer hunter dealing with a moose like this was so much work I think I’ll be sticking to whitetails for a while 😂
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6A3539CE-1F57-4FD8-B650-03886DBA0638.jpg (21.9 KB, 252 views)
File Type: jpg 0EB240AD-6E19-420E-B013-1DDEC08A4BEA.jpg (28.7 KB, 220 views)
Old 12-02-2020, 09:31 AM

Default moose

Deer crazy, nice moose well done, quite a rack.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:26 AM

Congrats on that bull Deercrazy!
Old 12-03-2020, 06:36 AM

Our group had 2 bull tags in the early season, filled both within 3 days, also had a cow tag in Nov and filled it the 2nd day out, having said that the Elk gave us fit's this year, I had a cow draw and hunted hard but the tag will go on the X-mass tree this year OH well

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:00 AM

Good bulls.

I had a harder time than expected this year. A lot of my areas had washed out access points. Was contemplating off loading the 14’ boat in a lake I had scouted as a back up this summer. That complicates the week i had with my dad. Also he didn’t have the fire in his eyes when I said we might need to take the boat , not like he used to. So we opted to access our areas from alternate points and did some walking and calling. A ton of KMs on the truck and many multiple km by foot days. Not seeing a single moose , not even a cow, and not hearing any calls in the quiet morning or evenings.
Getting worried .
Finally one morning we returned to a nice old well road that dead ended at a small creek with a nice willow flat. We’ve called there many days.
We parked at the entrance to this old road and opted to walk the last 1km and listen for calls. We rounded the corner and startled this young bull . He ran. I chased him around the wide turn. Took a knee when I got to the straight away. Called and he stopped to look back over his shoulder. Was hoping to get a broad side or even quartering away shot but couldn’t risk waiting on the only bull we’ve seen . Calmed my self, dad whispering about 130 yards. Waited what seemed an eternity (45 seconds), settled on the neck , which was all I had . Squeezed the shot . The 338 RCM let loose a 225 grain Interbond and obliterated the moose’s spine. He turned off like a light switch. Felt the thud in my feet when he dropped to the old washed out corduroy road.
So relieved when he dropped, no follow up needed. Not a fan of neck shots but they have their place.
Managed to straddle the ruts and washouts and got the truck right to him.
Beauty eating bull. Very happy that my dad was there with me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4DC72B2C-0C38-4764-8F7E-F2A829A5A86F.jpg (36.0 KB, 105 views)
Old 12-03-2020, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight01 View Post
Good bulls.

I had a harder time than expected this year. A lot of my areas had washed out access points. Was contemplating off loading the 14’ boat in a lake I had scouted as a back up this summer. That complicates the week i had with my dad. Also he didn’t have the fire in his eyes when I said we might need to take the boat , not like he used to. So we opted to access our areas from alternate points and did some walking and calling. A ton of KMs on the truck and many multiple km by foot days. Not seeing a single moose , not even a cow, and not hearing any calls in the quiet morning or evenings.
Getting worried .
Finally one morning we returned to a nice old well road that dead ended at a small creek with a nice willow flat. We’ve called there many days.
We parked at the entrance to this old road and opted to walk the last 1km and listen for calls. We rounded the corner and startled this young bull . He ran. I chased him around the wide turn. Took a knee when I got to the straight away. Called and he stopped to look back over his shoulder. Was hoping to get a broad side or even quartering away shot but couldn’t risk waiting on the only bull we’ve seen . Calmed my self, dad whispering about 130 yards. Waited what seemed an eternity (45 seconds), settled on the neck , which was all I had . Squeezed the shot . The 338 RCM let loose a 225 grain Interbond and obliterated the moose’s spine. He turned off like a light switch. Felt the thud in my feet when he dropped to the old washed out corduroy road.
So relieved when he dropped, no follow up needed. Not a fan of neck shots but they have their place.
Managed to straddle the ruts and washouts and got the truck right to him.
Beauty eating bull. Very happy that my dad was there with me.
Perfect size of moose for me, congrats too you and your dad!
Cat
Old 12-03-2020, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Managed to fill my bull tag just east of the wainwright base. If I'm being honest, I was hoping for a bigger bull as the area holds some true giants. But from not seeing anything big on the cameras this year and limited time to hunt, I happily settled on a good eating bull.
That’s a nice bull. He gets a bullet from me no matter how early or late in the season. That’s a Shooter on day one for me. Lol.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:29 PM

Default Butchering by firelight.

A fond memory from this years moose trip. Many a moose hunter can relate.
Hope the picture is legible. Am trying a new image host via with my iPhone.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 12-03-2020, 02:42 PM

The old Sunshine of the Night comes in handy

And yes
Love the fire pics
Congrats to all success 2020 hunters

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2020, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post

A fond memory from this years moose trip. Many a moose hunter can relate.
Hope the picture is legible. Am trying a new image host via with my iPhone.
If you click the photo, you can see the bull, just getting the different image host dialled in.

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?