Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-03-2020, 06:50 AM

Default Backpack Meat/Bone Saw Recommendations

My Gerber saw died this year while working on the skull plate of my buddies bull elk in preparation for the pack out. As such I require a new one and am looking for something of better quality, while still light and folding or collapsable. We do use a cordless sawzall when we can get an atv relatively close, but when thats not possible this saw will come into play.
Thanks
Old 10-03-2020, 07:50 AM

I haven’t used one but silky seems to get mentioned a lot for packable saws.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:53 AM

I have used a Wyoming saw for 20 years but this year I can’t find it. They are not ultra light weight but well built.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
I have used a Wyoming saw for 20 years but this year I can’t find it. They are not ultra light weight but well built.
X 2 ...mine has the leather sheath.....Best ever....1980 Christmas gift.....

Over the years, I needed an extra couple of blades. Princess Auto sells 24" replacement wood and meat saw blades; I simply cut and drilled them to fit.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.

Last edited by graybeard; 10-03-2020 at 08:29 AM.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:12 AM

Ya Wyoming saw gets my vote as well.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:18 AM

My Wyoming saw hasn't failed me yet - Got as a gift in the early 80's sometime.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:29 AM

Coglhan Folding saw. Have used one for 35 years, has one meat and one wood blade, with room for a spare of each, that sits in the longer runner when folded down. Weighs a few ounces and is about 21" long folded down about 4" wide, 1/2" thick.

Old 10-03-2020, 08:48 AM
Banned

Default Wyoming saw

Quote:
Originally Posted by raw outdoors View Post
have to agree I had mine at least 20 years gave it to my brother last year to use on a moose hunt he came home without it never again. Good luck in your search for a saw .
Old 10-03-2020, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by savageguy model 111 View Post
have to agree I had mine at least 20 years gave it to my brother last year to use on a moose hunt he came home without it never again. Good luck in your search for a saw .
You are so correct......I wanted one for my son and one day at a random garage sale, there was one lying on the table...but not for long.....

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Coglhan Folding saw. Have used one for 35 years, has one meat and one wood blade, with room for a spare of each, that sits in the longer runner when folded down. Weighs a few ounces and is about 21" long folded down about 4" wide, 1/2" thick.

Have a few of those around. Been using them as long as I can remember, always one in my pack. I have others including a Wyoming, but they are all to big, bulky and heavy.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

This is the one I carry around over 25 years now, has 2 wood blades and one meat blade , used to be called what a saw, but these are the same now.
Old 10-03-2020, 09:49 AM

https://www.amazon.ca/Coghlans-8901-.../dp/B000ECSDHG

Here is what Amazon has to offer...Oct 13-14 Amazon Black Friday Probably cheaper yet..
Old 10-03-2020, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
https://www.amazon.ca/Coghlans-8901-.../dp/B000ECSDHG

Here is what Amazon has to offer...Oct 13-14 Amazon Black Friday Probably cheaper yet..

I would look around, you can usually get them for right around 20 bucks. Last time I saw one at that price was last fall at Peavy Mart. Canadian Tire also used to carry them. Flahertys has them for 23 bucks but out of stiock.

https://alflahertys.com/coghlans-folding-saw-21-8901/
Old 10-03-2020, 05:31 PM

Much thanks everyone.
Cory
Old 10-03-2020, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coxy95 View Post
I haven’t used one but silky seems to get mentioned a lot for packable saws.

This .

Silky saws.

Nothing on the market compares.

I am 100 % confident you could split and entire moose down the spine like nothing.

They have all sizes.

I have a 650 Katana and you could cut a 24" tree with that saw....if needed....
Old 10-03-2020, 07:16 PM

https://www.filzer.com/products/buck...w-saw/#details

I have owned this saw for close to 30 years, was once call a trailer blazer pack saw, now Filzer owns the patent.
So light i carry it most of the time i'm in the bush
Old 10-03-2020, 07:53 PM

Wyoming saw all the way
Old 10-05-2020, 09:54 AM

Another vote for the Wyoming saw. I got one 25 years ago for my 16th B day and still have it. Bone saw and wood blade are very handy.
Old 10-05-2020, 04:09 PM

Me and the kids use the gerber folding saw its light comes with a bone blade and wood blade we have done many animals with them
Old 10-05-2020, 04:24 PM

Default Princess Auto 6" folding pruning saw

PA has a folding pruning saw which has a 6" blade. Handle is good quality with a lock for the blade. Blade is pretty thick, and the right tooth count and pitch.

Best part is that they are on sale right now for about $7!!!!

For splitting a chest open, or splitting quarters, this is a pretty good little saw! It cuts both forward and back, and the blade is nice and thick. Just wash it in hot soapy water first, and oil it with some vegetable oil. When it gets dull, don't feel bad about replacing it.

Drewski
Old 10-05-2020, 04:33 PM

Originally called What-a-Saw, Coghlan's folding saw - had one since the early 80s. Wood and bone blades in one saw.
Served me well.
Old 10-06-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski Canuck View Post
PA has a folding pruning saw which has a 6" blade. Handle is good quality with a lock for the blade. Blade is pretty thick, and the right tooth count and pitch.

Best part is that they are on sale right now for about $7!!!!

For splitting a chest open, or splitting quarters, this is a pretty good little saw! It cuts both forward and back, and the blade is nice and thick. Just wash it in hot soapy water first, and oil it with some vegetable oil. When it gets dull, don't feel bad about replacing it.

Drewski
Link is here:

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...aw/A-p8774200e

I picked up an inexpensive saw at my local dollar store - it doesn't fold up, it's not light, but what an awesome saw! I've used it extensively when taking trees down (cutting tips and branches) and it's a perfect companion for clearing trails. At the price point, you don't cry too much if you lose it (or if the person you loned it to never gives it back).

One of my old-time favourites was the Uncle Mike's Sidekick hunter's saw. I would tie a string through the handle and hang it over my shoulder as I climbed trees. One edge was for bone, the other for wood. Lightweight too. Unfortunately, almost impossible to find nowadays. I gave mine away as a "thank you" to someone for helping me out, never thinking that they would no longer be produced.

In my pack, I carry a Gerber pack saw. Inexpensive, weighs next to nothing, slim and works on small branches, briskets etc.:

What I like is that it has a blunt end; so there is reduced risk of puncturing innards when you decide to split the pelvis or brisket on an animal.

I used to use a Gerber Exchange-a-Blade saw like this one:

Blades were great (bone and wood saws included), but the pivot was weak, and I eventually stopped using it because I hated how the blade wobbled around.

Now I have a lightweight Fiskars sliding saw which I clip to my climbing stand. It's effective and has sufficient blade length to cut medium-sized branches as I climb, as well as clearing some of the smaller trees on my shooting lanes if required. Only gripe is that the blade lock doesn't always hold so well.

Last edited by Stinky Buffalo; 10-06-2020 at 10:10 AM.
Old 10-06-2020, 01:29 PM

I have a small (but not foldable) Scrade Old Timer saw. comes with a handy little sheath and can be worn on the belt. Close set teeth, really rips through green wood, a little harder going through bigger, dry stuff. Haven't tried it on bone yet, but I think it would work well.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 10-06-2020, 03:49 PM
Banned

was with a bud last year and he dumped a little whitetail, he is lifelong wyoming saw guy, pulled out my outdoor edge griz saw as he was starting to fumble around with the assembly of the wyoming saw and he used the griz saw and got all the details from me when back in town to order one up...wyoming saw got retired immediately, i'm several years with the griz saw and love it, did many years with that retractable gerber and they are ok also but the griz saw is next level fast and easy

so get the griz saw, not too heavy, little plastic sheath, perfect pack/truck guttin buddy

https://www.outdooredge.com/products/griz-saw-gw-2
Old 10-07-2020, 04:57 AM

https://youtu.be/W16JjWIadc4

[youtube]W16JjWIadc4[/youtube]

I have Silky Saw Bigboy and huge Katana 650( but apparently they make a 1000)

You can buck alot of firewood with the 650. Actually some YouTubers use it for their camps vs a chainsaw.

The 650 will go threw a 12" jackpine across a trail in about 30 strokes.

You are not cutting a 12" -24" log with a Wyoming saw?

Last edited by 350 mag; 10-07-2020 at 05:05 AM.
Old 10-07-2020, 06:54 AM

The saw I’m looking to get is for bone work on a downed animal only. Unless a survival situation arises of course.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:39 AM

Like a lot of other responders I use a Wyoming saw.

Mine came with a wood blade as well as bone and I've used the wood blade in the field on several occasions.

https://www.amazon.ca/s?k=wyoming+saw&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

I looked at the fixed blade units but like how much more compact the Wyoming is and the fact that it has a wood blade too. I would never use a bone blade to saw a tree.
I am the captain of my soul.

***William Henley***
Old 10-07-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
The saw I’m looking to get is for bone work on a downed animal only. Unless a survival situation arises of course.
In that case, I would suggest the Gerber Pack saw. The biggest downside is that you will rap your knuckles if you go too deep while sawing, but it makes quick work on brisket and pelvis on deer. For legs, I use a knife to cut the skin and tendons at the lower part of the kneecap and break them.
Old 10-07-2020, 11:48 AM

Default Gerber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stinky Buffalo View Post
In that case, I would suggest the Gerber Pack saw. The biggest downside is that you will rap your knuckles if you go too deep while sawing, but it makes quick work on brisket and pelvis on deer. For legs, I use a knife to cut the skin and tendons at the lower part of the kneecap and break them.

We’ve been using this saw for a few years and have had no issues and make quick work
Old 10-07-2020, 12:01 PM

I too used my Gerber for likely 15 years or so, but it proved too much for it this year sawing the skull plate apart to recover the rack for the pack out. I can tear down any game animal with just a knife other than pelvis, skull plate and ribs off the backbone (pelvis and rib bones can be done if willing to ding the back of your knife blade with a rock). My buddy loves his Montana while I have always found the Gerber awkward to use.