Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 02:53 PM

Default cellular game cam

I'm looking to buy a new game cam, I currently have the Spypoint Link Evo, it is a few years old and doesn't seem to be taking pictures regularly and doesn't seem to be working properly anymore. I am looking for a cellular one that will obviously work in Alberta, which ones have worked well for you.
Old 12-02-2020, 03:56 PM

MY new spy point still sending pictures. link micro 6
Old 12-02-2020, 04:04 PM

My Link EVO is about 3 or 4 years old, runs like a clock, as long as it’s got cell service, and good battery life.(Hack attack: get the 12 volt sealed lead acid battery kit, or build your own)

https://www.spypoint.com/en/products...t-kit-12v.html

Batteries die very quickly in the cold, so a 7.2Ah or 10Ah Sealed lead acid battery(maybe even a lawn tractor battery) will keep things working long after your lithium’s have died.

Also if cell service is crappy try the long range antenna kit, I pulled it up over a tree branch with a piece of masons line and tied it off at about 12 feet up.

https://www.spypoint.com/en/products...uct-ca-01.html

There are no absolutes

Last edited by Dick284; 12-02-2020 at 04:12 PM.
Old 12-02-2020, 06:37 PM

I have been testing the Reconeco ScoutHD and have been impressed with the photo quality, the trigger sensitivity, and battery longevity. Plus it’s a local business so support is excellent, worth checking out.

https://www.reconecooutdoors.com/shop
Old 12-02-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dvisscher View Post
I have been testing the Reconeco ScoutHD and have been impressed with the photo quality, the trigger sensitivity, and battery longevity. Plus it’s a local business so support is excellent, worth checking out.

https://www.reconecooutdoors.com/shop
dont buy the scout hd I have that camera and its ok but for the cost it should be a lot better, FIRST there learning to program it if you dont have a bell card it takes a long time and you'll have to call Telus to get the correct info to pit in, the battery's die FAST on active mode another tidbit of info is you can command tell it to check a photo with out it on the active mode. you can remotely change its setting but those won't take effect until it takes a photo and connects to the cellular network. the camera picture quality was ok but there was times we would walk right infant of it and it wouldn't take pictures. I had to talk to there tech support a few times and it took multiple restore to factory settings to get it to work followed by it battery going flat for the last 3 weeks of the season. there also taking out the remote trigger option in the next app patch. buy anything else spy point reconooutdoors ANYTHING but that devil camera.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:32 PM

Anyone tried the new stealth cam cellulars currently on sale at Cabelas???
Old 12-02-2020, 08:52 PM

Go and check the Tactacam Reveal thread. Lots of information there.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:52 PM

I have 2 Spypoint EVO's and they're total garbage. Unreliable, battery life sucks, picture quality poor. I'm done with them
Old 12-03-2020, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubious View Post
dont buy the scout hd I have that camera and its ok but for the cost it should be a lot better, FIRST there learning to program it if you dont have a bell card it takes a long time and you'll have to call Telus to get the correct info to pit in, the battery's die FAST on active mode another tidbit of info is you can command tell it to check a photo with out it on the active mode. you can remotely change its setting but those won't take effect until it takes a photo and connects to the cellular network. the camera picture quality was ok but there was times we would walk right infant of it and it wouldn't take pictures. I had to talk to there tech support a few times and it took multiple restore to factory settings to get it to work followed by it battery going flat for the last 3 weeks of the season. there also taking out the remote trigger option in the next app patch. buy anything else spy point reconooutdoors ANYTHING but that devil camera.
I have never had issue with the Reconeco, even worked in the -50 weather we had last winter. I have had it trigger on a dragon fly... so the trigger speed is quick, and the sensitivity is good without taking a ton of grass pictures. I use the lithium internal solar panel and the thing is awesome! Full constant 2 way comm and the batteries lasted 11months, pretty good in my opinion.

LC
Old 12-03-2020, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil McCracken View Post
Go and check the Tactacam Reveal thread. Lots of information there.
I've been researching reviews for awhile now and tactacam has been a favorite in almost all I've read.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
I've been researching reviews for awhile now and tactacam has been a favorite in almost all I've read.
I have had my 2 out in the field for probably 4ish months. Been extremely happy with the performance of these cameras.

At one location in the foothills with spotty service, I had tried a Spypoint link Micro (with a cable to increase cell service) and the pictures were very hit and miss as to when they would send. The Tactacam has been extremely reliable with full bars of service and no booster cable to mess around with.

And the Tactacams are on sale at Cabelas right now for $150.

DR
Old 12-03-2020, 07:38 AM

I have attached the previous Tactacam thread below. As you will see, I had some issues with mine. Post #34. Will be following up with them now that hunting season is over.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...=385700&page=2
Old 12-03-2020, 07:51 AM

I bought a stealthcam fusion this year. I liked it so much I went and bought 2 more and sold my U-Way cam.

Activating it is so easy and fast. Usually takes me a 1/2hr with telus every year with my U-Way cam, literally 2 minutes and the stealthcam is sending pics. Also the lowest plan is only $5/month (650pics) compared to I think I was paying $30/month to keep my U-Way activated.

Everything on the fusion is controlled through the app you can change all your settings instantly and de-activate real quick.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
I bought a stealthcam fusion this year. I liked it so much I went and bought 2 more and sold my U-Way cam.

Activating it is so easy and fast. Usually takes me a 1/2hr with telus every year with my U-Way cam, literally 2 minutes and the stealthcam is sending pics. Also the lowest plan is only $5/month (650pics) compared to I think I was paying $30/month to keep my U-Way activated.

Everything on the fusion is controlled through the app you can change all your settings instantly and de-activate real quick.

How is the "reception" ?? IS your hunting area in a spot with good or poor reception? I found the spypoints have a hard time finding a signal.
Old 12-03-2020, 09:16 AM

Ok what is the best cell cam for areas with max 1-2 bars cell service?

Reliable without a hiccup and don’t miss pics of game. If stating they are reliable at not missing pics of game have you tested by running a proven cam in the same location same time? If so what did you use to test as a comparison?

I am interested in cellular trail cams but it was expensive enough to sort through junk standard trail cams to find what is reliable. Don’t want to go through that process again

Spy points have already been scratched off the list as potential cellular cams to by
Old 12-03-2020, 09:34 AM

I have found with my U-way that it would miss sending some pics. After the season I collect my cams And I would find that when you plug the memory card into the computer there would be pics on there that didn’t get sent to me. I haven’t brought my stealth cams in yet but I lost service for a couple hours mid November because the network went down but the camera didnt miss a beat, it still worked like a regular trail cam snapping pics and when the network came back up the cam sent all the pics it took during the down time all at once.

As far as service goes with the stealth cam I’m in a decent service area and I noticed I get full bars where I only had 2-3 with my U-Way
Old 12-03-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
I have found with my U-way that it would miss sending some pics. After the season I collect my cams And I would find that when you plug the memory card into the computer there would be pics on there that didn’t get sent to me. I haven’t brought my stealth cams in yet but I lost service for a couple hours mid November because the network went down but the camera didnt miss a beat, it still worked like a regular trail cam snapping pics and when the network came back up the cam sent all the pics it took during the down time all at once.

As far as service goes with the stealth cam I’m in a decent service area and I noticed I get full bars where I only had 2-3 with my U-Way
When it comes to service what is the comparison to your cell phone vs trail cams
Old 12-03-2020, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I have never had issue with the Reconeco, even worked in the -50 weather we had last winter. I have had it trigger on a dragon fly... so the trigger speed is quick, and the sensitivity is good without taking a ton of grass pictures. I use the lithium internal solar panel and the thing is awesome! Full constant 2 way comm and the batteries lasted 11months, pretty good in my opinion.

LC
Well, I was doing jumping jacks in front of mine with full service in okotoks and it wouldn’t trigger. Dosnt make me confident after spending 450$. They didn’t want to take it back or replace it and assured me it was a programming error, I’ll never recommend that camera.
Old 12-03-2020, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
When it comes to service what is the comparison to your cell phone vs trail cams
With the u-way it was always less but with the stealth cam it’s the same as my cell.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:34 PM

Has anyone tried the Browning Pro Scout Celleular Trail Cam? It seems to have good reviews.
Old 12-03-2020, 01:14 PM

Telus is my phone provider, does that mean I'm limited to just spy point? Or does the stealth and tactacam also work with Telus?
Old 12-03-2020, 02:47 PM

Think all the new ones come with their own sim card and are already setup with a provider. You just activate it after you buy. Stealthcams are on AT&T I believe. Don't ask me how that works but it works.
Old 12-03-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Ok what is the best cell cam for areas with max 1-2 bars cell service?

Reliable without a hiccup and don’t miss pics of game. If stating they are reliable at not missing pics of game have you tested by running a proven cam in the same location same time? If so what did you use to test as a comparison?

I am interested in cellular trail cams but it was expensive enough to sort through junk standard trail cams to find what is reliable. Don’t want to go through that process again

Spy points have already been scratched off the list as potential cellular cams to by
My Reconeco works in a spot my cell phone won’t... FWIW.

LC
Old 12-04-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Telus is my phone provider, does that mean I'm limited to just spy point? Or does the stealth and tactacam also work with Telus?
Tactacam works with Telus.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Anyone tried the new stealth cam cellulars currently on sale at Cabelas???
Dont know but I ordered a pair as well.