Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-04-2020, 06:41 AM

Default Camp Wainwright 2021?

With the cancelation of this years hunt, will the base be doing its own ungulate cull to control numbers/CWD? Looking at historical harvest numbers for deer, moose and elk on the base, it would seem to me that not culling those animals for even one year could have a dramatic effect on many things.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:56 AM

I doubt they will do any kind of big cull. Probably be some army members out there hunting.

If you drew this year did you get your priority back?
Old 12-04-2020, 07:06 AM

Yes people who awarded a tag were given priority back plus a point for this year. Basically like they 999d
Old 12-04-2020, 07:43 AM

A year or two without hunting would make that place “pretty interesting” when it does open.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:44 AM

The first hunt to take place on Wainwright might be a good one
Old 12-04-2020, 07:47 AM
Banned

I don’t think it would make a big impact
The animals from there run onto and off of the base constantly
There was 350 bull elk tags in the area surrounding the base this year
That’s not going to be helping much for that hunt
Old 12-04-2020, 07:56 AM

Default Camp wainwright

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I live close to there and hunt the surrounding area. I agree with what Marky has said.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:03 PM

Default Camp wainwright

Hard to say what impact a year off will have on game populations? I guess we will find out next year, but I can’t see it doing anything other than improving the situation? Just my opinion, not science based at all. There will be some long faces when those that were drawn this year ( and got their priority points back) don’t get drawn next year, after guys that have been saving up priority points decide to drop the hammer after the break. Just sayin.
Old 12-04-2020, 06:10 PM

Wait for it........ no access to the base unless you’ve got proof of being vaccinated, or having antibodies.

Pure conjecture on my part, but it wouldn’t surprise me one bit.

That’s also if they even have the hunt next year..... probably depends on the vaccine scheme etc.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-04-2020, 06:24 PM

Whatever became of the camp's bio? I forget his site name....
Old 12-04-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
After the piling on he took on this forum, he packed up and left this place.

Hasn’t posted in nearly a year.

Another marvellous moment in the history of the AOF.

There are no absolutes
Old 12-04-2020, 07:05 PM

That's too bad....

Thanks Dick.
Old 12-04-2020, 07:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushmaster View Post
Shane? He’s a good guy. One of the few bios in this province that are going a great job.
Old 12-07-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
I doubt they will do any kind of big cull. Probably be some army members out there hunting.

If you drew this year did you get your priority back?
As a military guy living in Wainwright, I can tell you that we are not allowed to go hunting in the training area this year...like any other Alberta citizen.

Unfortunately, range control/army/governement opened the door for some first nation guys to hunt there. Probably the same guys that didn't respect anything last year.
Old 12-07-2020, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck du Nord View Post
As a military guy living in Wainwright, I can tell you that we are not allowed to go hunting in the training area this year...like any other Alberta citizen.

Unfortunately, range control/army/governement opened the door for some first nation guys to hunt there. Probably the same guys that didn't respect anything last year.
Thanks for the info unfortunately this is another frustrating exemption made for FN should not have happened

Laws made in the name of health and safety don’t matter when you are FN I guess
Old 12-07-2020, 08:28 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:

first off thank you for your service and yup sad when some get access to hunt and don't respect what is given to them....for those who get access/drawn to hunt next year it might be easy pickings....did it once was not my cup of tea just a little too crazy for me...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-07-2020, 08:32 AM

Quote:

So you’re saying that while the hunt was cancelled this year, FN were let on the base?

If so this is an outrage.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiabeticKripple View Post
So you’re saying that while the hunt was cancelled this year, FN were let on the base?

If so this is an outrage.
X2!! See below on the notice sent out from the base earlier this year, I guess FN doesn't fall under "all Hunting" anymore in this province. Another wedge being driven between licenced hunters and FN again IMO.....
I wonder if any were from out of province like the last couple years, that would be even more frustrating with the current Covid situation....

Cancellation of all Hunting Activities [/B][/B]on CFB Wainwright WMU 728/730 due to COVID-19

In order to ensure CFB Wainwright remains operational and to protect CFB personnel from potential exposure to COVID-19, CFB Wainwright Command has notified AEP of intent to close access to CFB Wainwright for the 2020 Hunting Season. This will cancel all hunting activities within Wildlife Management Units 728 and 730.
• This cancellation includes the grouse season September 5th to September 7th.
•All big game hunting seasons beginning November 26th through to December 12th have been cancelled.
•All holders of a 2020 gamebird hunting licence will receive email notification advising them of this closure.
•All big game hunters successful in the 2020 draw will be notified that seasons are cancelled and arrangements will be made to cancel their special licence opportunities and restore their draw priority.
•It is expected that the over 250 affected hunters will be disappointed however early notification and cancellation of special licences will allow hunter to explore other opportunities.
•At present, the elk hunting seasons on CFB Suffield are still being planned in conjunction with CFB personnel. That status could change and if it does, hunters will be notified accordingly.
•If the hunts do occur, hunters can expect increased safety measures related to COVID-19 as well as potential delays each day to accommodate required safety briefings, as determined by CFB personnel.

Last edited by 7magtime; 12-07-2020 at 09:24 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:05 AM

Quote:

So the safety of our service members is less important than virtue signaling based on race? Disgusting!
Old 12-07-2020, 09:40 AM

Quote:

By the time I was reading the 1st post, I was already thinking I wonder if they allowed FN to access the base this year. Wish it wasn't true. Even in a pandemic, FN can trump all the health rules & restrictions.
Old 12-07-2020, 09:51 AM

I and my 77 yr old dad were drawn for antlerless moose this year. Of course, we were told to stay home. This really chaps my butt. Don't know how many more moose hunts he's got in him. Shane always said that the FN guys at least had to abide by the same rules as we did. Like seasons and weapon restrictions. Don't know how they could have made "all hunts" more clear. But I guess rules don't apply if you have the right skin color. It's never been about equality...
Old 12-07-2020, 11:14 AM

There is 100% no hunting going on base this year by anyone. If we can have indoor gatherings of 250+ people next year hopefully we have the hunt.

S
Old 12-07-2020, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shedcrazy View Post
There is 100% no hunting going on base this year by anyone. If we can have indoor gatherings of 250+ people next year hopefully we have the hunt.

S
HEY! Howdy, long time no hear! glad you posted this info.
Cat
Old 12-07-2020, 11:19 AM

Quote:

S
Thank you for clearing this up.

Cheers

There are no absolutes
Old 12-07-2020, 11:20 AM

This situation is like the States do, they just love causing a divide between people!
I assume FN is immune to this virus..lol
Old 12-07-2020, 11:23 AM

First this

Quote:

Now this

Quote:
Someone in the military is misinformed. I hope it's the first quote.
Old 12-07-2020, 02:08 PM

Quote:

S
Good to hear
Old 12-07-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marky_mark View Post
I wonder what the success rate was this year on bulls in the surrounding areas?
Old 12-07-2020, 05:32 PM

Quote:

S

Thanks Shed. Always nice to hear straight from a source.

On the other discussion in this thread, I think that there will be some additional quality next year on or around the base. Having a chunk of land like that with absolutely zero hunting this year has provided a number of animals with limited pressure to leave the base. I would guess there will be a few more animals alive that will now have a chance to get through the winter and grow next year. My $0.02

DR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-07-2020, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
I wonder what the success rate was this year on bulls in the surrounding areas?
It’s not that high on the base so I have no idea what it would be like off of the base