Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-27-2015, 09:01 PM

Ya I heard once from a friend who had another friend and his sister had a friend who she knew that had a friend..............
Old 12-27-2015, 09:08 PM

"One of the worst incidents occurred two decades ago near a campground parking lot at the Columbia Icefield in Jasper National Park, where Michael Shipsey, a millionaire hunter from California, shot a trophy ram on the highway with a pistol while his Canadian guide fed the sheep bread crusts. The guide was apprehended, spent 75 days in jail and paid a $5,000 fine. He lost his guiding licence and his hunting territory in British Columbia. In an international investigation coordinated by Jasper park warden John Steele, Shipsey was convicted in the United States on seven counts involving illegally killed game. He received a $14,000 (U.S.) fine, 40 days in jail and five years’ probation."
Old 12-27-2015, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Ya I heard once from a friend who had another friend and his sister had a friend who she knew that had a friend..............
thats an excerpt copied out of the Sacrificial Ram article...
Old 12-27-2015, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deercamp View Post
a millionaire hunter from California, shot a trophy ram on the highway with a pistol while his Canadian guide fed the sheep bread crusts.
Must have been a young sheep....The smart big Rams only come in to the salt and vinegar chips
Old 12-27-2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
Must have been a young sheep....The smart big Rams only come in to the salt and vinegar chips
Sounds like a guy just trying to get to the sawmill inn and a ram was holding up traffic..... drive by gone wrong??? lol
Old 12-27-2015, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
I use popcorn it's lighter to carry and cheaper lol
Old 12-27-2015, 10:23 PM

Quote:
LoL
Old 12-27-2015, 10:39 PM

Didn't Fredie die coming down for an apple ?
Old 11-10-2019, 03:28 PM

He posted this same deer he got busted on and turned off commenting when some one brought up that it was confiscated today lol. What a joke
Old 11-10-2019, 08:20 PM

Get rid of all outfitters. And the law that allows hunting with spot lights in Alberta. What a fricken joke.
Old 12-03-2020, 12:28 PM

Default More news on the buck these guys poached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
A game-hunting company run by two brothers from Spirit River has fallen afoul of Alberta's wildlife laws.

Blake Shmyr, 33, and Cordell Shmyr, 26, were charged following an investigation by Alberta Fish and Wildlife Enforcement's Major Investigations and Intelligence into a white-tailed deer that was poached by an American visitor during a 2012 hunt with Big Tine Adventures, the Shmyrs' outfitter company.

The brothers appeared in Grande Prairie Provincial Court on Dec. 17, when Cordell Shmyr pleaded guilty to charges under the Wildlife Act of having a loaded firearm in a vehicle and unlawfully possessing wildlife. Following the guilty pleas, the Crown dropped the other charges, including those against Blake Shmyr.

According to the facts heard in court, Cordell Shmyr took an American client out on Nov. 10, 2012. During the hunt, the client shot a white-tailed deer from inside a vehicle parked on a road east of Sexmith. The investigation began shortly after, when the Grande Prairie Fish and Wildlife Office received a complaint about a deer being illegally killed, according to Alberta Justice spokesman Scott Sehested.

"As the case involved the illegal transport of wildlife across the Canada-U.S. border and into the state of Georgia, where the client of Big Tine Adventures resided, provincial investigators conducted a joint investigation with the Georgia Department of Natural Resources, the state Office of the Attorney General and the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service," Sehested said in an email.

The investigation took a long time because it crossed an international border and involved different jurisdictions, Sehested added. In June, 2014, the State of Georgia Department of Natural Resources seized the deer, which had by then been full-body mounted, and forfeited it to the Crown. The investigation wrapped up late that year.

Judge Morris Golden sentenced Cordell Shmyr to a fine of $12,000 and prohibited him from holding a guide designation or outfitter permit for two years.

Earlier in 2015, Blake Shmyr was sentenced on a separate charge under the Wildlife Act, after pleading guilty to providing false information in relation to a fraudulently obtained export permit for a black bear trophy to send to one of the outfitter's U.S. clients. Shmyr was fined $575 on May 11, 2015. A second charge, under the Criminal Code - impersonating someone to gain an advantage - was dropped.

"We thank the members of the public who called in the initial information that led to these convictions," Sehested said.

Any suspicious hunting or fishing activity can be reported to the 24-hour Report A Poacher line at 1-800-642-3800.
I follow these two on social media and yesterday Cordell posted photos of the buck he got busted for. Posting this right after November to make it look like he shot the buck this year and probably hopes that people forgot about his previous pee pee slap.

If you have Instagram he posted it on c_shmyr_
Old 12-03-2020, 01:32 PM

Default Crooked outfitters

Well the only good thing about these slease ball outfitters is there will be no Americans this year or next ,Maybe they will be out of business all the bad ones .
Old 12-03-2020, 02:49 PM

Ole Jimmy must be sleeping.
Old 12-03-2020, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
Ole Jimmy must be sleeping.
Why is that?
Old 12-03-2020, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
Why is that?
Just surprised was all. Poachers and their court proceedings seems an area of expertise of yours.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Well the only good thing about these slease ball outfitters is there will be no Americans this year or next ,Maybe they will be out of business all the bad ones .
Boarder wasnt closed anybody can fly into Canada . Not all outfitters had clients but many did have american or others. Closed borders not true lots of politics.

Last edited by albertarick; 12-03-2020 at 05:55 PM.
Old 12-03-2020, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Bahahahaha! I bet!l
Old 12-03-2020, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertarick View Post
Boarder wasnt closed anybody can fly into Canada . Not all outfitters had clients but many did have american or others. Closed borders not true lots of politics.
While the border isn't closed, it most certainly is still restricted to essential travel from the USA and other countries, whether by air, land, or marine.
Old 12-03-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curly Bill View Post
Just surprised was all. Poachers and their court proceedings seems an area of expertise of yours.
Defending them seems to be the purview of others.

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-03-2020, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Where do you get your information from name me one Outfitter that had an American client this year

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-03-2020, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
Where do you get your information from name me one Outfitter that had an American client this year

I cant name names sorry . Fish cops have told me . look on face book or other sights u see for yourself . Saskatchewan outfitters showing there clients with there harvests .
Old 12-03-2020, 06:22 PM

And you know they're foreigners how ,lots of Outfitters were taking Canadians I even phoned a few in Saskatchewan.

Old 12-03-2020, 06:23 PM

Anyway the fact is most to 99% of them had no clientele this year, just a matter of time till the poor ones are out of business.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:48 PM

It's good that they pursued this after so many years. And they actually went after the deer. Hopefully that deters others from doing the same.

But like mentioned before, lots of these clients don't care if its legal or not. They just want their trophy.
Old 12-03-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
I cant name names sorry . Fish cops have told me . look on face book or other sights u see for yourself . Saskatchewan outfitters showing there clients with there harvests .
You are still incorrect about travel restrictions that are currently in place. Several CDN citizens, permanent residents or immediate family member class of travellers could be admitted but the travel restrictions are still in place for foreign nationals that are deemed non essential travel.
Old 12-03-2020, 08:03 PM

Quote:
The only non residents from the US who were allowed to hunt this year were ones working here long term already. A couple did get to hunt in BC like this.
So they were on a 6 month work term for Imperial Oil in Calgary for example, and booked a hunt during that time they were already scheduled to be here.

We were told if somebody got caught sneaking in and we took them there would be Federal charges laid, not wildlife offences. I don’t know anybody that would risk it