Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 08:04 AM

Congratulations
Old 12-02-2020, 08:27 AM

Great story ,
Old 12-02-2020, 08:50 AM

congrats! great story i really enjoyed reading it.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:39 AM

Congrats on a great buck, great hunt and a great write up on your adventure!! Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-02-2020, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Fabulous. Way to go!
x2
Old 12-02-2020, 10:21 AM

Wow.

That captured the essence of hunting and woodsmanship. Congrats.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-02-2020, 10:32 AM

That was an awesome story and a great adventure. Those bucks must have had a hot doe around to be acting so bizarre. I have seen a few bucks loose there minds over the years, unfortunately it was after the season closed or in a area that I couldn’t hunt.
Killed a mule deer in the mountains of BC once that had a buddy with him when I tracked them down. Thought I shot the bigger of the two, instead I shot the older of the 2 and that bigger younger deer stayed 10 m away and watched me gut and drag his buddy down the mountain. This was in the pre rut.
This year while hunting with my 16 yr old son we caught a glimpse of a cow elk in a remote cut block. I let out a bugle in hope of getting a reply from a bull that may be near. Instead she trotted our way. We were not in good cover so We sat low to the ground. She came right up to us and stood arms length from my son. I was worried she may stomp us when she figured it out. The wind was blowing right to her. I finally turned my head as she got beyond the view from the corner of my eye and she jumped a bit and ran 10 m away and stared at us for 2-3 more mins before walking away.
The more we go out the more we are rewarded with these unique experiences. You will remember it forever.

What date did you shoot your buck on? 28th? 26th?

If there world is warming why is there so many new snowflakes?

If we are all equal why are you demanding special treatment?
Old 12-02-2020, 10:40 AM

Great story, and awesome buck. Enjoyed the read very much. And ya, 10-11 is the timber hunter's magic hour for sure. I've always figured it has something to do with the thermal reversal. Its also often about the same time that the wind decides to settle down. I kill far more deer even from noon to about 3pm than I ever do at first or last light.

Last edited by Bushleague; 12-02-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:43 AM

Thank you as well for sharing your story. Neat making a fire at the site the buck laid down. How perfect is that setting. Wonderful as heck.

I too enjoyed your story and pics. Wonderful,
Old 12-02-2020, 11:07 AM

Default Inspiration

Great buck and great writing! It is posts like yours that keep inspiring us to keep trying and success or not , there is no better day than a day in the bush!
Old 12-02-2020, 12:43 PM

Thanks for the exciting story and photo's of the events!
Congratulations on the big buck.
You help me confirm a plan for next year. Cheers
Old 12-02-2020, 01:17 PM

Superb story telling, and excellent photos. Thanks for taking your time in presenting both, & sharing them with us.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
Great story, and awesome buck. Enjoyed the read very much. And ya, 10-11 is the timber hunter's magic hour for sure. I've always figured it has something to do with the thermal reversal. Its also often about the same time that the wind decides to settle down. I kill far more deer even from noon to about 3pm than I ever do at first or last light.
Sorry, by "wind settling down" I mean that it figures out which direction it wants to blow. At least in my neck of the woods the wind is very switchy for most of the morning. It makes it tough for the hunter to plan his day, and I think it also makes it hard for the deer to decide where they will bed down for the day.

Once the wind settles down, usually around 10:00 am, there is often a spike in deer activity. I've come to believe that when the wind settles they will often move their bedding location.
Old 12-02-2020, 04:10 PM

Nice deer, congrats.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 12-02-2020, 05:37 PM

Nice write up and pics for sure. Well played.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:28 PM

This is Hunting,
Congratulations on a great adventure, fantastic bush buck and an incredible story, one of the best posts ever
Two thumbs up 👍🏼 👍🏼
Bluedog
Old 12-02-2020, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Thanks for taking the time to write that up, a great story to read. Congratulations on a very successful hunt, that's a beautiful buck, and also love the dark rack on him. There is just one question everyone wants to know the answer to.

Did you use a magical 6.5 CM?

HAHAHA, 30-06 Remington 760 Carbine, 180-grain Core-Lokt, PSP
Old 12-02-2020, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
Thanks for sharing. That is an awesome story. I don’t think anything is more rewarding than a remote still hunt.

Why would you bother to be any closer to a quad track than you have to be?
-Just in terms of hauling game out, but after that experience I now know it can be done!

Just a couple questions on tactics. Did you hunt near your mock scrapes? Why 6 km from camp? Did you make camp close to a quad trail and then just hike into your desired hunting location?
I hunted in the general area (within 1-2 km) of the mock scrapes, more or less circled the area with the intention of cutting tracks traveling into and out of it

6 Km from camp was the distance I traveled to reach the area, camp was essentially at the end of the line.

Exactly, camp was on a reclaimed haul road. I hiked from camp every morning. It was all good country for the 6 km, I just liked it back in there
Old 12-02-2020, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Best hunting post ever....the Benoits would be proud...not too many posts get the blood pumping as a reader and yours did...congrats and thank you for sharing this with us....oh and very classic eastern Canada still hunting rifle...works out there and obviously here too

I carry a fillet knife to debone if required especially in my younger days when I would venture way off the beaten path and not really realize it until the animal was down just how far I got to hump this animal out now...but hey and you will do this someday look back, remember when and smile from ear to ear.
Thanks! That exactly what I will pack along next time, fillet knife will be perfect to debone
Old 12-02-2020, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cory View Post
Great story, very well written!
Congrats on a good hunt.
Question, did you pack in your remote camp? Packing in a wall tent is impressive if so.
I did debate backing packing in with my Tipi Tent and titanium stove.

I was able to quad/haul camp into the end of a reclaimed haul road!
Old 12-02-2020, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by husky7mm View Post
That was an awesome story and a great adventure. Those bucks must have had a hot doe around to be acting so bizarre. I have seen a few bucks loose there minds over the years, unfortunately it was after the season closed or in a area that I couldn’t hunt.
Killed a mule deer in the mountains of BC once that had a buddy with him when I tracked them down. Thought I shot the bigger of the two, instead I shot the older of the 2 and that bigger younger deer stayed 10 m away and watched me gut and drag his buddy down the mountain. This was in the pre rut.
This year while hunting with my 16 yr old son we caught a glimpse of a cow elk in a remote cut block. I let out a bugle in hope of getting a reply from a bull that may be near. Instead she trotted our way. We were not in good cover so We sat low to the ground. She came right up to us and stood arms length from my son. I was worried she may stomp us when she figured it out. The wind was blowing right to her. I finally turned my head as she got beyond the view from the corner of my eye and she jumped a bit and ran 10 m away and stared at us for 2-3 more mins before walking away.
The more we go out the more we are rewarded with these unique experiences. You will remember it forever.

What date did you shoot your buck on? 28th? 26th?

Exactly! It is amazing what is going on and what one can witness when totally immersed in the natural environment...just like those wild experiences you mentioned!

I didn't actually make it to the end of the two weeks, came across that guy after a week in there! It was bittersweet, but I still went out after I had filled my tag, tracked deer with my GF and buddies (I was designated meat hauler), and with the camera!
Old 12-02-2020, 09:02 PM

Default whitetail

That was cool,good job
Old 12-02-2020, 10:10 PM

This is the best story I have read on this forum ever the pics of everything was great. I met Hal Blood once pretty nice man. I enjoy his and the benoits books as well. Thanks for sharing such an epic adventure.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairiekid View Post
Thanks for sharing. That is an awesome story. I don’t think anything is more rewarding than a remote still hunt.

Why would you bother to be any closer to a quad track than you have to be?

Just a couple questions on tactics. Did you hunt near your mock scrapes? Why 6 km from camp? Did you make camp close to a quad trail and then just hike into your desired hunting location?
You gotta post your pics and story buddy, you've definitely got a good tale to tell, and that was a sweet buck too... do it quick and we could put 4 nice bush-buck still-hunting story's on the same page!
Old 12-03-2020, 04:39 PM

Great story, thanks for sharing!
Old 12-03-2020, 05:46 PM

Excellent buck and read, THANKS!!
Old 12-04-2020, 08:34 PM

Love the write-up & the pics. Great hunt with a wonderful ending. Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-06-2020, 09:47 AM

Fantastic adventure ... this is what memories are made of!!!!
Old 12-06-2020, 09:48 PM

Very well written and good pics that help bring you there. Thank you for the post.
Old 12-09-2020, 02:53 AM

Awesome read and buck! A decent bush buck always impresses me more than a big farmland deer. Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk