Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 11-29-2020, 11:09 PM

Default Wall tent

So I’ve got the go ahead from accounting to purchase a wall tent for the family. I have previously used both canvas wall tents and also a spike tent from canvas tent shop. I’m leaning towards a 12x12 tent from the canvas tent shop. I’m curious as to what you guys prefer and why.
What I like about the Selkirk model is the ease of setup compared to a true wall tent. The sewn in floor is a nice feature although a little more work at take down for clean up. I’m thinking that staying smaller with an extended fly would serve me better than a larger tent.
Primary use would be short hunting trips in the fall and skidoo trips in to remote lakes for some ice fishing. It will be myself and 2 boys this winter and 3 boys next winter and when the youngest is out of diapers she will be out with us as well.
Located in the Okanagan so winter camping is not near as cold as the little bit I did in AB.
Any thoughts?
Chris
Old 11-30-2020, 08:56 AM

I have a 14x16 with a 10’ kitchen from Deluxe wall tents. It’s more than what you need but they’re excellent service and quality. If yo can, buy the internal pipes for a really easy set up.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:05 AM

With your family I'd go 12x 16'
You'd be quite tight, especially with a stove, to house 5 with anything less.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Guy View Post
With your family I'd go 12x 16'
You'd be quite tight, especially with a stove, to house 5 with anything less.
This is correct advice. A 12x12 is too small even with 5' walls for a family of 5. Go larger.
Old 11-30-2020, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yukongold View Post
This is correct advice. A 12x12 is too small even with 5' walls for a family of 5. Go larger.
Agreed, I run a 12x14 wall tent with a 10’ porch from Deluxe wall tents. We have a family of 4 and a dog and it’s the perfect size. Elk camp with 3 guys and all our gear is perfect as well. The stove takes up lots of room when you factor in how hot they get. I run the camp chef alpine wood stove and love it as well.
Cheers
Old 11-30-2020, 09:32 AM

Default tent

If you buy bunk/cot beds for your young hunters will save a lot of room in your 12x12 tent.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:07 AM

I run a 14x16 from airdrome canvass you can sleep 4 with gear a table with the cooking stuff and a wood stove comfortably, any more and your tripping on everyone. I would skip the floor and just buy an outside mat like they use with trailers there probably on sale for super cheap at Canadian tire right now. We have been out in -30 with a meter of show falling and it has held up but we did have to add a propane heater to keep it nice and warm.
Old 11-30-2020, 10:11 AM

Bigger is always better in a wall tent to a point

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2020, 10:40 AM

I have a full set up 14x16 from the tent shop for sale in the classifieds. It’s a nice space for a good sized group
Old 11-30-2020, 08:42 PM

Thanks for the replies fellas. I have talked to a few others that have gone the tent route and here is what I’ve decided. The 12x12 is on its way. I got the 6’ extended fly so I’ll have a place for boots and the camp chef. I hear all the guys that say go bigger, my concern was that where we plan on camping, especially in winter, finding a level spot can sometimes be challenging and adding even a little more tent does make it that much harder. I’m thinking about double camp cots to free up space.
Now hopefully it gets cold enough for some ice to actually stick around on the lakes here. At this rate it might not be till after Christmas.
Super pumped though that this thing is on its way!!
Old 11-30-2020, 10:25 PM

Disc-O-Bed bunks work great. We use them in our wall tent for 4 of the 8/9 in our group in a 16x20 Deluxe Wall Tent. Sure helps free up space. It’s a bit heavy to pack compared to a cot it if you drive to your camp site not a big deal then. it give a guy that shows up an extra bed it’s there, if not it’s storage. I will suggest to buy the XL version to have more width.
Old 12-01-2020, 06:45 PM

I think you will love it, hopefully you got a frame for it as I can not stress enough how much more convenient that makes a wall tent. A wall tent is the ultimate year round accommodation imho. They generally get passed off as a fall and winter thing but I find them awesome to stay in during the summer on fishing trips as well. Don't even pack the wood stove just a big buddy heater on low-medium and even on the coolest summer nights it's very comfortable. Lots of room to move around when it rains, beats a holiday trailer any day of the week especially if you have a boat to haul around as well.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:24 PM

I thought I would piggy back on this thread instead of staring a new one, I see that the OP got his tent so hope I’m not derailing. I have just bought a small 10x10 canvas pack tent( already have a deluxe big tent and stove) anyway I need a small wood stove for this tent. Seems everyone across Canada is out of stock. I’d liked to buy Alberta if I can, but getting a bit desperate finding one and want to get out. Any suggestions? Needs to be a pack stove if possible, doesn’t need to break down, but want to keep the weight down. Thanks.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrick View Post
I thought I would piggy back on this thread instead of staring a new one, I see that the OP got his tent so hope I’m not derailing. I have just bought a small 10x10 canvas pack tent( already have a deluxe big tent and stove) anyway I need a small wood stove for this tent. Seems everyone across Canada is out of stock. I’d liked to buy Alberta if I can, but getting a bit desperate finding one and want to get out. Any suggestions? Needs to be a pack stove if possible, doesn’t need to break down, but want to keep the weight down. Thanks.
I have a stove Ill sell you, a bit rusty but it does burn wood, 12 inch by 12 inch by possibly 30 inch long, pm me if you wish
Old 12-05-2020, 09:39 AM

Default stove

If you have a friend with a welder, can weld one up to your exact specs for metal weight, size etc.
Old 12-05-2020, 01:29 PM

Bunk bed cots would be a wise purchase in a 12x12. We use a 16x14 Big horn 3 and with 2 cots, 4ft table, and stove the thing is full.
Old 12-05-2020, 06:56 PM

Go big or go home...lol... a good rule of thumb is go one size bigger than what you think that you need. Go with an aluminum frame if you can afford it light easy to set up and take down nothing to rust, and most importantly dry it out completely before storing it away. A good wall tent will last you decades if you look after it.

Last edited by Bush Critter; 12-05-2020 at 07:11 PM.