Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-02-2020, 01:41 PM

Default All in all its just another rack on the wall,or not.

Started off the season great,my Bow hunting partner scored on a Bull Elk.

With half of the meat in my freezer I decided to focus on a mature Whitetail Buck. I have harvested several that are in the 140-150 range,but wanted the challenge of a 160 class deer. Don't misinterpret this as me being only after the trophy. Like I said it was more for the hunt, and the degree of difficulty that comes with finding a deer of this caliber in the mountain zone I like to hunt in.

I hunted hard and long right till the last day. I saw only one deer that was what I considered a shooter,he never gave me a shot. Passed on several that were respectable though.

I enjoyed every day I was out,in fact it was one of my most memorable seasons ever.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:56 PM

Default Me too

Hi: My buddy shared half a moose, my wife shot a little buck. I took the same approach as you did. I saw a good number of WT bucks, but that special buck never gave me a shot. Because I love coyote hunting so much, I still feel I have lots of hunting left until February.

But wait until next year!

Hoopi
Old 12-02-2020, 02:03 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

that's what it is all about...doing what you want and like you I had a great season even though the tag gets hung on the tree...pure 2020 entertainment

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-02-2020, 02:14 PM

I set a different goal every season that can range from style of hunt, weapon I use, or size. For myself it’s a matter of setting a personal goal a guide going for it

Buckman I set out with a similar goal last year but it was 160 or better public land with a muzzle loader. I invested more time then I would like to admit and ate my tag. Only seen 2 bucks that fit the bill and missed one. 160s are definitely not around every corner

In the end succeed or fail I enjoy my season and usually learn a thing or two as I go