Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2018, 01:00 PM

Default Arming Teachers?

Let's keep this on the tracks and restrict comments to the title topic. Although I reject the idea teacher carry, I do believe there may be measures that could prove effective. My idea includes the following:
* That at least one long barrelled firearm be kept under lock at every school. That firearm should be "different" than the AR/AK style ... something like an M1 Carbine...equipped with red dot sight system ... and painted in a bright color to make it easily identifiable. Color would be changed once or twice each year through school interchanges within the system.
* Stored under a lock that could only be opened with "finger print" technology.
* Storage would include a bright colored, bullet proof vest and a brightly colored cap matching the color of the rifle.
* Color combinations would be known only by trained staff and police...and would be changed a minimum of once each year.
* Training for teachers/staff that volunteer.
* Training, training, training.........
Old 02-26-2018, 01:03 PM
Banned

I have two questions,

Why not an AR? They are much better suited to the CQB requirements.

Why only one, stored in a specific location? Chances are the shooter would be between the trained staff member and the firearm.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:07 PM
Banned

Default i also have a question ?

Why the bright colours - are you suggesting teachers involved in protection duty "suit up" before responding ?

TBD

PS ... BTW i'm behind trump 100%, these gun free school zones have to end

move all the gun free zones to the democrat sanctuary cities ...

Last edited by TBD; 02-26-2018 at 01:14 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:10 PM

When i took my PAL last spring in Calgary 7 were teachers,from the CSB..
Old 02-26-2018, 01:16 PM

Quote:
MSNBC and CNN took the NRA’s bait on arming teachers
Outlandish ideas are a gun rights strategy to deflect from real policy.

https://www.vox.com/2018/2/26/170529...ia-gun-control
Old 02-26-2018, 01:16 PM

Assuming the idea on the color of the vest and cap to allow law enforcement to know the difference quickly when they enter the facility. Correct?

Not sure why the difference on the type of firearm? Can you explain your thoughts on this.

Training, passing some type of proficiency exam and annual refresher training.

Not sure on the location for the locked storage. It should be in proximity to the trained staff.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:23 PM

Guard at each door and metal detector would be a big help
Old 02-26-2018, 01:27 PM

When I think back to my school days I can only think of one maybe two teachers that wouldn't faint looking at a gun much less shoot one.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:27 PM
Banned

My thoughts are arm everyone that wants to be armed for the simple reason is that just because you are a teacher doesn't mean you can't be a lunatic. What to say the duty gun bearer is gonna follow thru with what is required of him or her. Seems to me they had armed guards at the recent school shooting that didn't follow thru so what will make a teacher any different.

Maybe stop spending money and resources on gun control and deal with mental health issues instead.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:35 PM

I'd be for it. When all other safeguards fail, the teacher is the final line of defense. At least they should have that option, with proper qualifications, naturally.

I recall after the Sandy Hook shooting, I was speaking with a relative who is a teacher at an inner-city school. One of the first things she said was, "I wish teachers would be able to have concealed carry." Her suggestion. Not mine.

I agreed with her... I've seen her shoot.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:38 PM

Default Arming teachers

Not a good idea,teachers are against using the strap let alone shooting people, it would involve lots of training. As was suggested by others, people control seems like the way to proceed IMO.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
I still like this the best, or was suggested by another member hire retired military. Already trained in weapons, hand to hand and many with experience, similar to SWAT. If I had kids in school I would feel more comfortable with a military person "on guard" much more than a teacher or a policeman.
Old 02-26-2018, 01:44 PM

How do you measure bravery?

How do you know who will stand face to face with evil?
How do you know who will cower when faced with danger?

Do people come any braver than this?
Old 02-26-2018, 01:49 PM

Arm the teachers or have a guard.probably that would be enough to deter 75 percent of these cowardly crazies
Old 02-26-2018, 02:01 PM

Schools are dangerous. Ban schools.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
When I think back to my school days I can only think of one maybe two teachers that wouldn't faint looking at a gun much less shoot one.
When I think back to my high school days ... we used to have shotguns in our vehicles and went bird hunting with some of the teachers after school. Guess those days are gone.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darren32 View Post
When I think back to my high school days ... we used to have shotguns in our vehicles and went bird hunting with some of the teachers after school. Guess those days are gone.
not where I come from we have some teachers that still love a little time out side the class with the kids
Old 02-26-2018, 02:10 PM

If you think gun free zones are the reason that these mass shooters target schools just stop with the schools being a gun free zone for licensed people. If the possibility of an armed teacher being present works I’m ok with that, the question though is the reason schools are targeted is because they are gun free zones or for other reasons?
Old 02-26-2018, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
If you think gun free zones are the reason that these mass shooters target schools just stop with the schools being a gun free zone for licensed people. If the possibility of an armed teacher being present works I’m ok with that, the question though is the reason schools are targeted is because they are gun free zones or for other reasons?
Probably other reasons, but they are considered a soft target so they are a little more appealing to a psycho as opposed to a mall or other busy public place where there is a high probability of someone carrying concealed.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:36 PM

The was an article posted on the The War Zone (it is a sub blog on thedrive.com).

The suggestion in the article is to employ returned/retired soldiers as armed protectors of the school. The two main points IMO are:

1) These soldiers are often trained in CQB type situations (unlike a teacher would be)
2) This would help with the under-employment that faces many ex-military personnel

of course the comment section exploded saying how terrible of an idea this is...

I would rather have a vetted ex-military person guarding a school rather than a teacher who has no clue how to run a gun.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:43 PM

Why put that burden/responsibility on a teacher.

If your going the route to arm someone, hire some Vets or guards, train them. X amount of guards per number of students. Guards don't have to be like a bank in Mexico and be carrying assault rifles. Nice and concealed. At least any person thinking about attacking a school or post secondary would know there is now resistance that is not easily seen and may re think. It will be a first step in defense of the kids.

Then try and figure out this access/mental health issue.

We spend all kinds of money protecting all kinds of people and venues, but, protecting kids in school is even a debate nowadays? There are probably times when a teacher would like to be able to protect themselves from the kids in a school in some places. But, why are kids considered less valuable than a sports figure or politician or even a media personality or a bank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newview01 View Post
I have two questions,

Why not an AR? They are much better suited to the CQB requirements.

Why only one, stored in a specific location? Chances are the shooter would be between the trained staff member and the firearm.
A firearm that is “probably” going to be different than that of a potential shooter, and thus more easily identifiable to first responders
There could be more than one location, got to start with the low cost options, if money is there more are good. My OP mentioned at least one...

Last edited by 260 Rem; 02-26-2018 at 03:11 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:52 PM

TBD- The “suit up is a vest” with Velcro ...takes 10 seconds to put on...and the color combination is privy to first responders

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
A firearm that is “probably” going to be different than that of a potential shooter, and thus more easily identifiable to first responders
There could be more than one location, got to start with the low cost options, if money is there more are good.
I sort of get where you are going but an M1 Carbine/Ruger Mini 14/AR-15 all look pretty similar 50 to 100 yards away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Old 02-26-2018, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
Let's keep this on the tracks and restrict comments to the title topic. Although I reject the idea teacher carry, I do believe there may be measures that could prove effective. My idea includes the following:
* That at least one long barrelled firearm be kept under lock at every school. That firearm should be "different" than the AR/AK style ... something like an M1 Carbine...equipped with red dot sight system ... and painted in a bright color to make it easily identifiable. Color would be changed once or twice each year through school interchanges within the system.
* Stored under a lock that could only be opened with "finger print" technology.
* Storage would include a bright colored, bullet proof vest and a brightly colored cap matching the color of the rifle.
* Color combinations would be known only by trained staff and police...and would be changed a minimum of once each year.
* Training for teachers/staff that volunteer.
* Training, training, training.........
Sounds like a gun-fetishist fantasy.

In Canada? Zero chance of this gaining any traction. Not even a good idea. The level of training required to make this armed teacher an asset and not a liability would be insane and not easy. The increased risk of accidental shooting or someone else getting the firearm is greater than the benefit it would provide.

Even in the Excited States of America, I can’t see many teachers wanting the additional weight of such a role.

Last edited by Mikeham; 02-26-2018 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Tollers View Post
Assuming the idea on the color of the vest and cap to allow law enforcement to know the difference quickly when they enter the facility. Correct?

Not sure why the difference on the type of firearm? Can you explain your thoughts on this.

Training, passing some type of proficiency exam and annual refresher training.

Not sure on the location for the locked storage. It should be in proximity to the trained staff.
Training ... must include “situational training and practice”. Monthly “practice”.
Old 02-26-2018, 02:58 PM

I don't pretend to know the details, but doesn't Israel arm teachers in parts of that country?
Old 02-26-2018, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK71 View Post
Your taxes just doubled....that would never be supported.