Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-16-2023, 12:52 AM

Default The storm in Calgary

I have not seen one like that in a (looooong) while myself. Not sure where else it hit, but in SW it lasted good 15-20 minutes. At point, about 10-15 minutes in, it seemed like it let go for a minute or two, then it came back with the vengeance for another 5 or so, haha. While I am a visitor, I got some dents on my hood like a real “southerner”, lol. Nothing significant, but I am happy to drive a 2008 4Runner. Couldn’t help but think about the neighbours’ pretty new Tundra parked on the driveway, as well as many other vehicles on the street and elsewhere without a roof/cover over.

It came out nowhere too.

When it just started:

That’d be ice:

Many were significantly larger in size than that ^ and a few probably more than double.

A few minutes in:

After:

Same spot, about 3.5 hours after it ended:

Hardly a wind, but:

This one was no joke, that’s for sure.
Old 07-16-2023, 01:13 AM

Daughter called to say that we had a lot of damage to our trees and garden. Sounds like there's gonna be a fair amount of cleanup. Hopefully the plants can recover as our garden was looking really nice this year.

Located SE Calgary.
Old 07-16-2023, 07:35 AM

Man I live in braeside now and we never even had a sprinkle of rain, I heard some thunder north of me but yeah not a single drop.
Old 07-16-2023, 08:01 AM

Sundance had no rain from the earlier storm. Lots of thunder to the North.

At 11 pm we had some rain start. Nothing awry this morning.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 07-16-2023, 08:54 AM

It's amazing how localized intense hail can be.....a few weeks ago we only got a small bit but just on the other side of our subdivision they got 5-10 times as much.

After getting $8k damage to the wife's vehicle several years ago from driving into a hail storm I've become a fan of the MyRadar & Flightradar24 apps for my phone. Shows realtime precipitation and you can see where the seeding planes are flying to get an idea where the experts think the risk is.

Last night as soon as I saw the blob show up over Calgary we started rearranging the garage to get all the vehicles under cover and dropped the downspout extensions. Ended up getting nothing this time but we've got to down to a science on exactly what everyone has to do anytime I say hails coming in terms of prep.
Old 07-16-2023, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Man I live in braeside now and we never even had a sprinkle of rain, I heard some thunder north of me but yeah not a single drop.
East of Sundre, I had two thunderstorms last night. 6 o'clock Global news or Environment Canada site didn't give a heads up either ?

Grizz

Isaiah 5:8
Old 07-16-2023, 10:18 AM

We got hammered in Riverbend. Siding broke, paint stripped from trim, major damage to vehicles, garden and plants destroyed. Lived here since 1987 and never had hail as big or as hard as what we had last night. A lot of it was the size of golf balls.
Old 07-16-2023, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriertxv View Post
We got hammered in Riverbend. Siding broke, paint stripped from trim, major damage to vehicles, garden and plants destroyed. Lived here since 1987 and never had hail as big or as hard as what we had last night. A lot of it was the size of golf balls.
Wow sad to here,Im in the NW closer to deerfoot.Many of times Ive been just on the edge of huge storms that destroyed the NE.
Not much one can do,hope it all gets replaced with insurance.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:52 PM

How do I pay more taxes to stop this from happening?
Old 07-17-2023, 04:39 PM

Got hit again this afternoon. Not as bad as Saturday but enough to do damage.
Old 07-17-2023, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macdrizzle View Post
How do I pay more taxes to stop this from happening?
Idk is they still do, but there was a program that seeded all these great white combines to mitigate damage...very effective..
Old 07-18-2023, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stob View Post
Idk is they still do, but there was a program that seeded all these great white combines to mitigate damage...very effective..
They still do.

The cloud seeding is very effective at dissipating the storms that are headed for the center of Calgary, only to reform and hit a bit farther north.
I suspect this is why the heavy storms in recent years are letting go in the NE of the City.
I wonder if this seeding is in effect creating larger thunderstorms.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 07-18-2023, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
I wonder if this seeding is in effect creating larger thunderstorms.
Hmmm, that's a good question! It would explain a lot.