Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-02-2014, 11:51 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwm1273 View Post
I found that when I took driver training, I had far more experience than the instructor. I already had my license, and only took the course for the insurance break. Most of the stories the instructor (21yr old) told me were about him backing into things, driving into the garage door, writing off a car in snow, hitting the ditch on an offramp, and so on.

I finally had enough of his stories and him hitting the brake because I would creep a couple inches forward to let in someone at a turning lane, because he was adamant that one must have 20ft distance between you and the vehicle infront to be a safe driver. The final straw was when he hit the brake because I had slowed down and pulled into the shoulder because a bus was passing a semi and was still in my lane only a couple hundred yards ahead. His fear was that I would drive into the ditch. He was oblivious to the danger of a headon collision. I suppose he had never driven hiway 63 before. If this is the type of training given in Canada, I would say we are better off without it.
ill suggest zie germans may just have slightly better instructors given that there roads are basically as safe as Canada's with sections of open roads. Granted trained folk understand 10000lb pick up truck is a hazard to other road users with the real hazard at the wheel when driven with out the respect 10000lb deserves.
Old 07-03-2014, 12:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
ill suggest zie germans may just have slightly better instructors given that there roads are basically as safe as Canada's with sections of open roads. Granted trained folk understand 10000lb pick up truck is a hazard to other road users with the real hazard at the wheel when driven with out the respect 10000lb deserves.
I fully agree. I have spent some time driving in Germany, and my rental had no hope of ever keeping up to some of the cars in the left lane. But regardless how fast some drove in that lane, there was always someone going faster, and they always moved over after passing. If people here could learn just that one little piece of common sense, our roads would be far safer.

The other thing I noticed driving in other locations with better trained drivers, is that they don't take their time to pass, they got on with it, and then move over. Here we have idiots who will never go an inch over the limit, even when passing, and then take forever to move back over, if they do. On a single lane road this causes long lines of frustrated drivers, who then take chances that kill others.

When I was a kid learning to drive, it seemed just about everyone would pull onto the shoulder if they were being passed. This is not done anymore, and I think this leads to more danger than could be caused by driving on the shoulder for a short period when being passed.
Old 07-03-2014, 02:19 AM

I don't even like going faster than 100 so I'll stick to the right lane. Vehicles are safer but people's reaction times haven't changed.
Old 07-03-2014, 06:46 AM

Yup, I'm all for it, especially the zero tolerance part. About time we slowed people down on our highways!

R...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/britis...km-h-1.2694277

likely will be zero tolerance. Think Alberta will follow suit?
Old 07-03-2014, 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Pullings View Post
I don't even like going faster than 100 so I'll stick to the right lane. Vehicles are safer but people's reaction times haven't changed.
But tires pavement brakes and vehicle weight are all more condusive to stopping so u could drive faster and stop quicker. This is the most overdue change. Even headlights!! Headlights on a 78 Cadillac might as well be a candle with your hand in front of it to keep the wind from blowing it out. U drive off the lot in a new caravan u can light up a drive in theatre screen From the last row.

It won't be zero tolerance. Same as today.

Some people are so sour about everything it's a wonder anything ever gets done.
Old 07-03-2014, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricktye View Post
Yup, I'm all for it, especially the zero tolerance part. About time we slowed people down on our highways!

R...
where does it say zero tolerance though?
Old 07-03-2014, 07:29 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Idiots...up the speed limit to 120 so 150, 160 is now speeding....idiots!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-03-2014, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Idiots...up the speed limit to 120 so 150, 160 is now speeding....idiots!
Ya that argument is idiotic. So is making all law abiding people drive much slower than is safe to protect the criminals that like to speed. You are protecting the dumbest people. Thank you

1979 - 2004 vehicle deaths dropped by 50% in Canada. Is the because we drive slower? Is it because people are better drivers today than 1979? No, it's because they have engineered better everything to keep people safer. Allow people to stop when they need to and see what they need to and cushion the sudden stop.

Like people who think its dangerous to own a gun do us a favour and don't get a firearm. Please if driving 120on the QE2 is dangerous for u stick to the side roads.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero View Post
where does it say zero tolerance though?
It doesn't.. And it won't happen (zero tolerance).

Too many variables. Same reason cops don't pull someone over for going 10% over the limit.

Proof of calibration, I seriously doubt every radar/laser is within 1km/hr.

Not to mention factory calibration of oem speedo's isn't that accurate.

It would take one bored retired lawyer on his way to his yacht on the coast that got a ticket for 121kmhr for all tickets to get thrown out.

OH.. And it's 40kmhr over = 7 week suspension.
Old 07-03-2014, 08:58 AM

I don't know, wife's friend just got pulled on hwy 16 for 117 in a 110, the cop said they are not going to be as lenient anymore; new agenda.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-03-2014, 09:02 AM

Default But in Germany.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Whoa fella....
I'll be buying shares in a garage if that's the case.

I'll be taking one of my trucks off the road soon.
Front end work and it's age and a few other things, it's not worth it to drive on the hiway at high speeds and it's not worth it to fix.
The parts are worth more than the entire truck.

Means a newer truck for me

Automatic court appearance. Explain it to his honour and your insurance company.
My comment about annual inspections for vehicles was not pointed at any particular post or person.

My newest vehicle is an 09 and oldest is an 04. I like to drive them until they are pretty much worn out. I also refuse to drive a scrap heap or allow the wife and kids in a piece of junk.

Some person will soon post on here that in Germany the don't have speed limits on some roads. Etc. this is very true. They also have very high equipment standards and training standards for their drivers. I would love to see Alberta open up some roads to greater speeds. Would also love to see a huge increase in the mechanical fitness of vehicles and the required skills of our drivers.

Germany also has very liberal liquor laws. but they are very strict on alcohol related driving issues.

Montana adopted "safe and prudent" as the speed limit on some highways years ago. That did not last long.

At a buck thirty a litre I am too cheap to drive much faster anyways and I am happy to stay in the Righthand lane.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:11 AM

Quote:
I don't know, wife's friend just got pulled on hwy 16 for 117 in a 110, the cop said they are not going to be as lenient anymore; new agenda.
Sounds like she got a new recruit.

I would fight it.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebrand View Post
Germany also has very liberal liquor laws. but they are very strict on alcohol related driving issues.
Yes, but the big difference is that In NA, it is socially acceptable to drink & drive, in Europe it is not.

But, the other side of it, is in Europe the public transit is ALOT better than ours. Not only can you get anywhere in Europe by transit (sometimes quicker than a car), it is alot safer afterhours.

As far as I'm concerned, there should be a ZERO tolerance for DUI's, and it is immediate permanent seizure of vehicles owned by that person, and jail time. End of story.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbgnik View Post
I for one can't believe that maximum speed limits haven't increased with automotive technology.

Back in the day, 100 KPH felt fast in most cars, no matter how quickly it floated up to that speed.

These days, buy the cheapest compact junker on any lot, it will drive arrow straight, zero lift, at 160 KPH all day long.

Any car built after 2000 can safely travel faster than the 110 KPH on the QE2, the trick is for everyone to travel at that speed.......... except highway trucks.
Unfortunately, the "nut" behind the wheel has not evolved at the same rate as the automotive technology.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:26 AM

More $$$$$$
Old 07-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Sounds like she got a new recruit.

I would fight it.
How do you fight driving faster than the posted limit? It is breaking the LAW.

I hate to say it, and the word is really overused today, but that is the very definition of entitled.

Think a Judge will side with you because 'all the rest of the kids are doing it?"

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 07-03-2014, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimPS View Post
Unfortunately, the "nut" behind the wheel has not evolved at the same rate as the automotive technology.
Yet we are seeing less deaths. Maybe it's all the video games?

Deaths resulting from motor vehicle accidents declined from 25 deaths per 100,000 population in 1979 to 9 deaths per 100,000 population in 2004.

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-003-.../10648-eng.pdf
Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Yup - PC government realized a PST is a death sentence. Memo goes out to Alberta Sheriff's and RCMP that says something about how increasing taxes will save lives.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
How do you fight driving faster than the posted limit? It is breaking the LAW.

I hate to say it, and the word is really overused today, but that is the very definition of entitled.

Think a Judge will side with you because 'all the rest of the kids are doing it?"
Was she speeding though? What did her speedo say? What if the radar wasn't calibrated right? What if she was actually going the speed limit and got a ticket for going 7 over? Is that right?

These "self-checks" are in place for a reason. Being able to challenge a ticket is there because everyone makes mistakes.

Don't get me wrong, IF she was legitimately speeding, then YES, she should pay, but if the LEO's aren't following proper procedures (calibration), then should she pay?

You'll also see, that challenging a ticket rarely involves getting off "scott-free", more than likely she will have to pay anyways, just no demerits. Yet if that LEO did something wrong, they are less likely to make the mistake next time.

Entitled? You're right, we are entitled to question authority. Why else would we be legally allowed to plead not guilty?

Last edited by JB_AOL; 07-03-2014 at 10:06 AM.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:03 AM

Default Decrease in the number of deaths over the years.

Advancements in vehicle construction hased to vehies that are built to save lives. Paramedics and the increase in the availability of First Responders and the availability of EMS air services and the increase in the skills of Trauma centres is why the death rates are decreasing over the years.

Same applies to the Murders rate. The victims are better cared for and not dying.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Techer View Post
Ya that argument is idiotic. So is making all law abiding people drive much slower than is safe to protect the criminals that like to speed. You are protecting the dumbest people. Thank you

1979 - 2004 vehicle deaths dropped by 50% in Canada. Is the because we drive slower? Is it because people are better drivers today than 1979? No, it's because they have engineered better everything to keep people safer. Allow people to stop when they need to and see what they need to and cushion the sudden stop.

Like people who think its dangerous to own a gun do us a favour and don't get a firearm. Please if driving 120on the QE2 is dangerous for u stick to the side roads.
120 will increase speeding to 140 or more, the idiot behind the wheel will kill us probably the same idiot that shoots across highways during hunting season. Wrapped up in a super safe vehicle does give the driver a false sense of security but it is the idiot behind the wheel that will get you in the end...little pieces of sheet metal spread down the highway for a mile mixed with mangled body parts, sure glad the air bag went off!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-03-2014, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Was she speeding though?
Yes she was speeding, said herself she does all the time.

You do know of course that as the operator of the motor vehicle you are responsible for it and must know yourself if your equipment is operating correctly. I have checked my vehicles with GPS after doing tire changes, etc.

We all tried that and likely got away with it when we were kids, 'do bigger tires throw off the speedo? wink wink but as 'non entitled mature and responsible adults' should we not be held accountable for our actions?

Old 07-03-2014, 10:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
We all tried that and likely got away with it when we were kids, 'do bigger tires throw off the speedo? wink wink but as 'non entitled mature and responsible adults' should we not be held accountable for our actions?
So should kids be penalized for trying to get away with it? We have many more laws today Ken, it's reality. The safety of cars has gone way up over the years, but the laws are getting rediculous. And the people behind the wheel are the issue, some people just can't drive.

I personally think upping the speed limit is a good idea. Many people will sit at 120 and set the cruise. People aren't going to change, unfortunately there will be accidents - it's a given. Can you fix stupid? No, we all know that.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
120 will increase speeding to 140 or more, the idiot behind the wheel will kill us probably the same idiot that shoots across highways during hunting season. Wrapped up in a super safe vehicle does give the driver a false sense of security but it is the idiot behind the wheel that will get you in the end...little pieces of sheet metal spread down the highway for a mile mixed with mangled body parts, sure glad the air bag went off!
You are afraid for no reason. You are less likely to die in an accident today than 35years ago. For all the anecdotal wisdom people love to spout driving from edm to Calgary is safer today than ever before.

And again what do you want to do to stop people from speeding?? Make the limit for everyone 80 so they are only going 110 when speeding??

Stop regulating everything for the lowest common denominator in society
Old 07-03-2014, 10:54 AM

I have an idea that will settle this speed limit debate for good. I believe the average speed a horse travels is 6 mph. Drop the speed limit to 6 mph then, many people traveled across Canada and the US via horse back and wagon train and I don't recall ever hearing or reading about a 100 horse pile up on the Oregon Trail.

Problem solved, lives saved.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 07-03-2014, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Well this is interesting. Don't they know that speed kills?
Nope people who cant drive kill, we need a more strict driver road test and faster speed limits
Old 07-03-2014, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Yes she was speeding, said herself she does all the time.

You do know of course that as the operator of the motor vehicle you are responsible for it and must know yourself if your equipment is operating correctly. I have checked my vehicles with GPS after doing tire changes, etc.

Ken, you're missing the point.

Is your GPS correct? Have you ever had it calibrated? Let me guess.. Of course you have, because saying otherwise would prove my point.

I'll ignore your childish banter.. Normally I respect alot of what you say, but today you're making me question that.
Old 07-03-2014, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Ken, you're missing the point.

Is your GPS correct? Have you ever had it calibrated? Let me guess.. Of course you have, because saying otherwise would prove my point.

I'll ignore your childish banter.. Normally I respect alot of what you say, but today you're making me question that.
How do you calibrate a GPS?

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 07-03-2014, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyreefer View Post
How do you calibrate a GPS?
calibrate a gps
Old 07-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Banned

The difference in a 100 km trip is 12 minutes if you travel 120 instead of 100.