Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 09-20-2013, 01:17 PM

Default Hair/fur Request

I am posting to make a request for fur/hair samples.

I am a PhD student at the University of Calgary. My research is integrating two study areas of caribou ranges in Alberta and Manitoba to test if industrial development (hydro-electric, oil and gas, forestry) and predation play a role in caribou decline. Specifically, test if the overlap in diet between wolves (and/or bears) on caribou is higher in areas with increased industrial development.
In order to answer my research question I require fur/hair samples from species from both Northern Manitoba and West-Central Alberta (i.e. in areas with forestry, oil and gas, hydroelectric activities present). I will be tracing the stable isotopes markers (C, N, and S) within the hair through a basic food web to describe the diet profile and overlap. Then evaluate the food web data with geospatial information to test if: in areas with increased development predators show increased overlap in diet with caribou.

For the Province of Alberta I require hair/fur samples from the following animals (if possible): grizzly bear, black bear, wolf, moose, caribou, elk, white-tailed deer, mule deer, big horn sheep, mountain goat, marmot, rabbit and beaver
From the following AB WMUs: 344,352,353,355-357,440-442,444-446

And even though this is the Alberta Ourdoorsman Forum, I am aware there are members from Manitoba and thus for the Province of Manitoba I require the following: black bear, wolf, moose, caribou, white-tailed deer, rabbit and beaver
From the following caribou ranges: the Kississing, Naosap, North Interlake, Reed, The Bog, Wapisu, William Lake and Wabowden. (I can forward a map of these locations)
If you have these available, have any advice or know of any contacts, Please PM me. Also I have all collection and research permits in place. Also NOTE: the samples do not have be fresh. If you have samples and know the location and species and the date, those can be used in my study too.
Thank you in advance.
Furgirl