Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 10-10-2013, 08:49 AM

Default Question about Traplines

A couple of posters mentioned that some people will get a trapper's license, buy a trapline, and not bother with trapping - but use it as a private recreational property.
Is that even legal? How do they get away with it?

I'm NOT thinking of pulling a stunt like that myself. I just take a mild interest in the trapping industry, and I'm curious what the laws say about the land use.

Thanks!
Old 10-10-2013, 09:47 AM

This has been discussed numerous times on this forum. Maybe search back and read a couple of the older threads! The ATA is working towards implementing stricter rules concerning trapline management and some day, such abuses will hopefully be a thing of the past.

Saving one animal won't change the world, but the world will change for that one animal!

Old 10-10-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuckincity View Post
A couple of posters mentioned that some people will get a trapper's license, buy a trapline, and not bother with trapping - but use it as a private recreational property.
Is that even legal? How do they get away with it?

I'm NOT thinking of pulling a stunt like that myself. I just take a mild interest in the trapping industry, and I'm curious what the laws say about the land use.

Thanks!
I think both real tappers and real hunters get a black eye by the mis- informed public.
That statement above could easily be;
Some people buy a gun and buy ammo and don't bother with a license, they poach. They somehow get called hunters by people who do not pay enough attention to glaring details.
It's true, it's illegal and "they" do get away with it...
but- It bothers the real hunters and real trappers more that anybody else and I bet the faux trappers are not on this forum, why would they? What would they talk about here? How to reheat a nice pie from safeway at their cabin in the woods?
Old 10-10-2013, 11:55 AM

The worst part about this is that it drives up the price of lines to where they are no longer economical for the"real" trappers. Unfortunately this problem is not going to go away any time soon. I would love a line, but I cannot compete with the weekend warriors that have the money to burn. Only benefit I am finding is that it is getting alot easier to junior lines....people that don't trap still need to show usage of the lines. I guess I am likely part of the problem for this reason, but I just want to trap. Hopefully oneday there will be a solution everyone can live with.
Old 10-10-2013, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
.....What would they talk about here? How to reheat a nice pie from safeway at their cabin in the woods?
THAT wouldn't surprise me!
Its true, I'm mostly a "city boy" but when I do get out, 4-wheeling or something, I got no time for other "city folks" like those you mention who don't have a clue what its like "out there" and find something to cry about; and who should stay in the cities!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
.....I cannot compete with the weekend warriors that have the money to burn.
You just reminded me of those yuppies that buy an acreage, then whine and snivel about the smell from the local ranch, and actually try and get it shut down!
MORONS! Like that'll ever happen!
That's another bunch that better stay in the cities!

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by molly View Post
This has been discussed numerous times on this forum. Maybe search back and read a couple of the older threads! The ATA is working towards implementing stricter rules concerning trapline management and some day, such abuses will hopefully be a thing of the past.
Every time this is discussed the thread gets shut down or disappears! I think this whole trapline thing is a farce! I'm sure it would work if the existing rules were actually enforced!
Old 10-10-2013, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAPPER92 View Post
Every time this is discussed the thread gets shut down or disappears! I think this whole trapline thing is a farce! I'm sure it would work if the existing rules were actually enforced!
I agree. There is provisions to ensure people are actually trapping, but SRD doesn't have the will to enforce them.
Old 10-16-2013, 08:16 PM

Unfortunately the Alberta trapper associations doa/moa is destined to fail. Good luck telling a native trapper that his line is being taken away due to inactivity.
Old 10-16-2013, 10:13 PM

Make a difference. Join the ATA and get involved. If you already are..thanks