Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 10-22-2020, 02:40 PM

Default Gas Prices

87.9 at the new SW Costco in Calgary, 91.9 at TsuuTina station , both off the ring road that just opened a couple weeks ago. Most other stations are $105.9.
Old 10-22-2020, 03:07 PM

still 80.9 at costco in edmonton
Old 10-24-2020, 11:25 AM

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/gas-pump-...nton-1.5155499

Edmonton selling below cost
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 10-24-2020, 11:42 AM

Costco 79.9 in Nisku and South Edmonton. Streets are still pretty empty compared to pre-Vid and with next to no airplanes flying there is a huge surplus of product. I was shocked when I read what the Consumption of fuel by airplanes is. If they really want to affect Carbon burn, ways less flights has a far bigger impact than any other single variable. In 2019, U.S. airlines alone burned 19 billion gallons of fuel, world wide it is estimated at over 100 BILLION gallons.
Old 10-24-2020, 11:44 AM

85.9 in DV

There are no absolutes
Old 10-24-2020, 11:47 AM

Handy, I need to fill up some cans for hunting season.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:12 PM

I just checked GasBuddy for diesel prices at the new Tsuu’Tina Costco and it won’t list a price or even light up the station on the map when filtering for diesel, does that station only have gas and not diesel? If so, thats an odd choice for a new station, I was hoping to fill there if it did.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
I just checked GasBuddy for diesel prices at the new Tsuu’Tina Costco and it won’t list a price or even light up the station on the map when filtering for diesel, does that station only have gas and not diesel? If so, thats an odd choice for a new station, I was hoping to fill there if it did.

Most of the Edmonton Costcos don't have diesel, even the new one in St Albert. The Mobile stations at Superstore and the Safeway gas bars seem to have the best Diesel prices.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Most of the Edmonton Costcos don't have diesel, even the new one in St Albert. The Mobile stations at Superstore and the Safeway gas bars seem to have the best Diesel prices.
The next most-recently built Costco in Calgary (East Hills) has diesel, it seemed to me to be a fair expectation that the subsequent build after it would too.
Old 10-24-2020, 12:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
The next most-recently built Costco in Calgary (East Hills) has diesel, it seemed to me to be a fair expectation that the subsequent build after it would too.
Not many Costco's have diesel. That's the only one that I know of that does. My parents did a tour of the US with their 5th wheel for their retirement trip and didn't come across any, US or Canada, that actually did. Costco having diesel is fairly rare. They do pretty good without the product being offered, and normally huge line ups, why take up space with another product, more storage tanks, more pumps to service, etc?

I haven't been out today but yesterday, when I was out, gas was the same price it's been for the last month or more at $1.059.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
Not many Costco's have diesel. That's the only one that I know of that does. My parents did a tour of the US with their 5th wheel for their retirement trip and didn't come across any, US or Canada, that actually did. Costco having diesel is fairly rare. They do pretty good without the product being offered, and normally huge line ups, why take up space with another product, more storage tanks, more pumps to service, etc?

I haven't been out today but yesterday, when I was out, gas was the same price it's been for the last month or more at $1.059.
From a blank sheet of paper they can build for it. Just build an extra lane or two at the station and buy a slightly bigger lot, it ain’t rocket surgery. I can see how it would be challenging to retrofit at exiting stores & stations, but at a fresh build it’s just a tiny bit more planning.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:32 PM
Banned

While you are right, apparently somebody higher up decided not to agree with you.
For me, I used to get gas at Costco quite often. Until multiple stories, and first hand experience of it taking out engines, the automatic fuel management systems on Chev/GM in particular. Something about the additives they use or don't use. Since making the switch, I've run cleaner as evidenced by the better fuel mileage and spending less on fuel. Not much, but I see it. Everybody will have different experiences however. But as far as diesel goes, at least right now, Costco not having it doesnt seem like a big deal.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:38 PM

Quote:
While you are right, apparently somebody higher up decided not to agree with you.
For me, I used to get gas at Costco quite often. Until multiple stories, and first hand experience of it taking out engines, the automatic fuel management systems on Chev/GM in particular. Something about the additives they use or don't use. Since making the switch, I've run cleaner as evidenced by the better fuel mileage and spending less on fuel. Not much, but I see it. Everybody will have different experiences however. But as far as diesel goes, at least right now, Costco not having it doesnt seem like a big deal.

I fill at Co-op almost exclusively, the member rewards being the main driver. I'll still use GasBuddy to find stations with the best price though.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:49 PM

Even though it's not the cheapest most of the time, I use Shell gas and diesel. On the Mercedes e500, I get around 1.5mpg better fuel economy than the other stations, and on dad's Duramax, he gets around 2 mpg better.

I also assume that if the vehicle is getting better fuel economy, that it's also easier on the fuel system, which costs money to fix and could wipe out the small savings from the little bit less paid for fuel.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amosfella View Post
Even though it's not the cheapest most of the time, I use Shell gas and diesel. On the Mercedes e500, I get around 1.5mpg better fuel economy than the other stations, and on dad's Duramax, he gets around 2 mpg better.

I also assume that if the vehicle is getting better fuel economy, that it's also easier on the fuel system, which costs money to fix and could wipe out the small savings from the little bit less paid for fuel.
Hopefully your dad no longer has the CP4 fuel pump.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
Hopefully your dad no longer has the CP4 fuel pump.
It's a 2001. Not an issue in that year. Was looking at a truck in that year range, but I told him to plan on putting aside the money for the conversion if he bought one.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:04 PM

My last visit to Sherwood park Costco was 80.9 or .5 and when I got back to Camrose 98.9 thieves in Camrose,
Old 10-24-2020, 03:37 PM

That’s because Camrose has all the seniors with Money 💰
Old 10-24-2020, 05:17 PM

Well just came back from Camrose, now 93.9 still thieves
Old 10-24-2020, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Where did you find the info saying it takes out fuel management systems?
Old 10-24-2020, 05:58 PM

Quote:
The gas Costco sells has DCA - the same additive that co-op, Safeway, Superstore, Domo, Canadian Tire and countless other non- branded stations use. It's the same additive esso uses - only esso uses more of it.

Costco may have ethanol in their regular though.

Colin
Old 10-24-2020, 06:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE View Post
Where did you find the info saying it takes out fuel management systems?
This was from the service desk at a local dealership after having an engine replaced under warranty. I know of one more account of this personally, and read multiple reports online.

Colroggal, while it maybe have DCA, are all fuels really made the same? Is it the same amount? What about the other additives for their particular blend? I really don't know what the recipes are, but I'm sure they're not all the same blend.
Old 10-24-2020, 06:52 PM

Tsuut'ina Costco doesn't have diesel, but the neighbouring Tsuut'ina station does, also for a great price.

I haven't been getting gas anywhere else since that Costco opened. 15-20 cents cheaper than most other stations in the city. I hope they can keep it up. At one point it was the cheapest gas in the province according to Gasbuddy, even ahead of the notoriously lower Edmonton area prices.
Old 10-24-2020, 07:31 PM

Whitecourt and camrose sold their last summer diesel for .10c/l this week. I wish I had room for a few hundred thousand litres.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 10-24-2020, 08:52 PM

Default Camrose Price?

Still can go from Camrose to Sherwood Park! See my Mom & Dad, get some stuff at Costco, and fuel up at $80.5 You bet! works for me!saving $.13 a lt.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:19 AM

Quote:
This was from the service desk at a local dealership after having an engine replaced under warranty. I know of one more account of this personally, and read multiple reports online.

Colroggal, while it maybe have DCA, are all fuels really made the same? Is it the same amount? What about the other additives for their particular blend? I really don't know what the recipes are, but I'm sure they're not all the same blend.
Costo gets their fuel from shell, suncor or esso depending on rack price and they buy millions of liters at a time. The product code is the same for all stations. The bill of lading will not say Costo gas, it will say regular with DCA.

Costco stations in Alberta sell over a million liters a day and have for years. If they were taking out engines I'm sure we'd all know it by now. But it could just be a by volume issue:

If a million people a year buy Costco fuel and 20,000 need new engines, some percentage of them will say it must be Costco gas.

Colin
Old 10-25-2020, 07:21 AM

Cheapest in LLoydminster is 93.9

We were all born ignorant but one must work very hard to remain that way.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:33 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
Costo gets their fuel from shell, suncor or esso depending on rack price and they buy millions of liters at a time. The product code is the same for all stations. The bill of lading will not say Costo gas, it will say regular with DCA.

Costco stations in Alberta sell over a million liters a day and have for years. If they were taking out engines I'm sure we'd all know it by now. But it could just be a by volume issue:

If a million people a year buy Costco fuel and 20,000 need new engines, some percentage of them will say it must be Costco gas.

Colin
I’m letting you know what people who deal with this stuff have told me and numerous others.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:48 AM

All fuel in Alberta is tested at Fuels Lab at Alberta research Council. They ALL must meet product specifications. Then with only 3 refineries in Alberta ALL stations recieve the SAME fuel wether gasoline or diesel. End of story, anything else is BS.
Old 10-25-2020, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
All fuel in Alberta is tested at Fuels Lab at Alberta research Council. They ALL must meet product specifications. Then with only 3 refineries in Alberta ALL stations recieve the SAME fuel wether gasoline or diesel. End of story, anything else is BS.
Incorrect. All fuel stations get the same quality base fuel. The additive packs added for different fuel brands are different however. That's where the difference comes in.