Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-25-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Thanks for the information RC
Yes, I’m aware of the over the counter opportunities in Alberta lol ! And I’m more of an outfitter then a guide these days so if I wanted to take him hunting for moose, or caribou, or Elk I would likely just take him in my own guide area. And without a doubt once he’s of legal age one of my outfitter buddies would take him Stone Sheep or Dall sheep or Grizzly hunting if I asked them too.
In B.C. you only have to be 10 to hunt big game, so it’s still 3 seasons away no matter how you slice it. I’m more so thinking of right now, which is why we were headed stateside this fall.
Although he does like tagging along for coyotes and small game, he prefers big game as I’m sure lots of kids would given the opportunity. He’s been on moose hunts, deer and elk hunts, bear, cougar and lynx hunts with the hounds (his favourite), sheep hunts in the kakwa and Wilmore and we just got back from Antelope hunting Friday. He’s watched me, his uncle, my guides and my clients kill them all, and loved every minute of it.
But...... he can’t pull the trigger himself legally, that’s why I’m looking for something different for this hunt.

Thanks again for sharing your opinion and information RC
TORK>
your son has a blessed life with all the hunting opportunities hes gonna have! I wish him and you well on your experiences and hunts. Best of luck getting him some game!
Old 10-25-2020, 02:01 PM

wild boar adventures is another one in sask they have boar, sheep, deer, bison and even elk i think???
Old 10-25-2020, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronaround View Post
TORK>
your son has a blessed life with all the hunting opportunities hes gonna have! I wish him and you well on your experiences and hunts. Best of luck getting him some game!
Thanks, I’m sure he’ll like whatever I figure out.

When I was a kid the old man never left me at home, I got to hunt everywhere. I wouldn’t have it any other way for my boy !
Old 10-25-2020, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
Thanks, I’m sure he’ll like whatever I figure out.

When I was a kid the old man never left me at home, I got to hunt everywhere. I wouldn’t have it any other way for my boy !
I’ll bet you never pulled the trigger at age 7 either!
Old 10-25-2020, 03:25 PM

Some of you guys need to give your head a shake the guy is trying to do something nice for his son and spend time with him

I have no experience with theses places but good luck in your search
Old 10-25-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
I’ll bet you never pulled the trigger at age 7 either!
I’m not sure what the statute of limitations is on wildlife hunting related matters so I’ll go with “I sure didn’t” lol

But I will say things were a lot different 30 years ago and common sense was a lot more common!
Old 10-25-2020, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxwell87 View Post
wild boar adventures is another one in sask they have boar, sheep, deer, bison and even elk i think???
I sent them a message earlier, he’s supposed to get back to me shortly 👍

Thanks
Old 10-25-2020, 04:45 PM

The age restriction is a Government instated minimum requirement based upon the Average capability of humans at that age.

I know 6-8 year old's who demonstrate more common sense around firearms and ATV's than some individuals at 21+.

They should scrap it and have it replaced with a competency exam and or a declaration of control/liability from a parent/guardian.

Also there are plenty of disabled hunters who would never have an opportunity to experience the enjoyment of hunting we all here have and some take for granted. If it were not for places like Tork was inquiring about.

I also wouldn't but its a personal ethic. And as Such applies to absolutely NO ONE ELSE!

And Really when they open a new hunt in a up till now closed area, Suffield comes to mind a crap ton of people lined up for that without some of the vehemence exhibited here.
And not to leave out the Indigenous harvesters they run around potting animals from the bush roads mid summer.
There again I see no real huge difference with the quarry's unpreparedness being as they have been relatively unmolested.

I can just Imagine the lust running amok if they opened the Luscar Mine site to a limited entry Trophy sheep hunt. Bet a few on here would line up for first kick at that cat.
Old 10-25-2020, 05:23 PM

Tork

Ignore all the sanctimonious buttwadd replies. I cannot believe the stuff I have been reading on here the last while. Outside the suggestions there are some other bits of good news. If you fly out of Calgary you can get a Covid test coming and going, as long as y test negative on return there is no quarantine period. The return tests are free, outgoing is 150 a pop.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
100% agree - we should be allowed to partner youth on our own tags

But honestly man this sounds like a momma bear problem. What the heck is a 7 year old gonna remember from 3 weeks of school?! Nothing. Take him state side, then out to the trap line, and it’ll be the best time he’s ever had. School and all that other inconsequential nonsense needs to be put in its place at the bottom of the priority list.

Sask is probably better for a farm hunt...but CWD...i wouldn’t do it.
100% true.
Old 10-25-2020, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
Some of you guys need to give your head a shake the guy is trying to do something nice for his son and spend time with him

I have no experience with theses places but good luck in your search
You bet...I agree...Great for his 7 year old... so why all the fan fair and BS. How about you just do it!!! Lots of places to go and obviously no end to money to do it so just actually do it . Looking forward to some pics of some Farm elk or other game farm animals....your Son will be ecstatic!! What an opportunity to teach your Son hunting!!
I would also like to see some pics of him hunting on your sheep hunt in the Willmore and the antelope hunt...for sure priceless to a Father..please post some pics..the Willmore is a great place to go and Southern Alberta has such great opportunity for Antelope....please post away!!

Last edited by Jim Blake; 10-25-2020 at 07:13 PM.
Old 10-26-2020, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Blake View Post
You bet...I agree...Great for his 7 year old... so why all the fan fair and BS. How about you just do it!!! Lots of places to go and obviously no end to money to do it so just actually do it . Looking forward to some pics of some Farm elk or other game farm animals....your Son will be ecstatic!! What an opportunity to teach your Son hunting!!
I would also like to see some pics of him hunting on your sheep hunt in the Willmore and the antelope hunt...for sure priceless to a Father..please post some pics..the Willmore is a great place to go and Southern Alberta has such great opportunity for Antelope....please post away!!
Great to hear from you JB, I was really missing your posts. I’m not sure about “fan fair and BS” lol I asked for recommendations 48 hours ago and I’ve got a few spots to check out now, surely I’ll have something nailed down right away. It must be tough living with that affliction you wake up with daily.
And...... although I know you don’t actually want to see some pictures of our hunts, I’ll post them anyway because I’m proud of my tough little hunting buddy !
Old 10-26-2020, 06:41 AM

Pics would be great!! Always good to see pics of a Father getting his son started into the greatest outdoor activity on Earth!!
Old 10-26-2020, 06:48 AM

Last weeks Antelope Hunt in 102

August Wilmore trip

Couple hound hunted bears (by far his favourite)

This was at the awards banquet. He guided this one with his big brother Shamus

Cat Hunting with his favourite Cat guide Brian

Afternoon successful run, the final pic is not mine to post

Trapline fun at 2 years old

A couple late season moose on a November family hunt. His great grandfather was 92 when he killed this one

Couple meat bucks late season

I really need to start taking more pictures, it was fun going back through the ones I do have

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2020, 06:54 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up

Simply awesome....living a great lifestyle....well done!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 10-26-2020, 07:05 AM

Great pictures!! Thanks for posting. He's going to be a spitting image of his Dad!!
Old 10-26-2020, 10:02 PM

Default Congrats!

OK you win! The smiles on the little man's face say it all. I'd say you have a hunter in the making there. He obviously has tremendous opportunities to get out and its clear to me he's loving it.
You're doing a great job with him-keep it up!