Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 08-04-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
What a lot of people dont realize is that when the rear tires have slipped(which cant even be seen most of the time)the quad is locked solid in 4wd.This system has been around for 25 years now and actually works really well.
Do the front wheels stay engaged no matter the conditions until you switch it to 2wd, or does the system automatically stop sending power to the front wheels when the rear wheels stop spinning faster than the front wheels? If all four wheels are truly locked together,and turning at the exact same speed how can the system sense when to stop sending power to the front wheels?
Old 08-04-2011, 08:12 AM
Banned

im not the worlds biggest honda fan im a suzuki guy but between honda and polaris it's no comparison honda hands down,polaris is garbage imo.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:19 AM

Polaris has a hilliard clutch in the front ,older ones had the magnets on the hubs newer ones are in the front diff. When switched to 4x4 it takes 1/5 th of a revolution of the rear tires to spin to engage the front axle as the speedometer sensor is on the front right wheel. It will engage and disengage on it's own even though the switch is in 4 x 4 so you don't need to be constantly switching back and forth between 2 and 4 wheel drive just set it and forget it, and it is not going to engage when traveling at higher speeds. All wheels spin on a Polaris unlike others that require you to flip a lever for diff lock or to buy an aftermarket sytem cause you only have three wheels spinning.
Polaris does have a single brake lever and a seperate rear brake, it is controlled through a proportioning valve the same as your car or truck to provide approx 80 % front 20% rear, so to say that you need single brakes to back off a trailer is just plain nonsense.

If it was me i wouldn't buy either Polaris or Honda( way overpriced for 80's technoligy) i would look at a new Yamaha
Old 08-04-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
It will engage and disengage on it's own even though the switch is in 4 x 4 so you don't need to be constantly switching back and forth between 2 and 4 wheel drive just set it and forget it, and it is not going to engage when traveling at higher speeds.
Exactly, all four wheels are not locked together, they engage and disengage on their own,and you can't stop them from disengaging. What tells the front wheels to disengage?Is it not when the back wheels stop turning faster than the front wheels? How else would the system know when to stop sending power to the front wheels?

Quote:
All wheels spin on a Polaris unlike others that require you to flip a lever for diff lock or to buy an aftermarket sytem cause you only have three wheels spinning.
As you yourself just posted, the front wheels engage and disengage on their own, you can't force them to all lock up and turn the same speed.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:48 AM
Banned

I was a Honda guy for years, do yourself a favor and buy a Grizzly.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 AM

Some like Dodge, some like Chevy, others like.... Same thing with quads. I have Polaris quads, and have had zero issues with them, along with many friends of mine who have ran them for years. My new 550 only has about 35hrs on it, but running good, the '08 500 has a pile on it now, and nothing more than oil change/service to keep it running strong. Pretty much same pattern as the other one I had previous them.

As for AWD, true all wheel drive, whatever you want to call it, when I am in the muddy conditions, all four wheels are turning when they need to be, what else do you need? If anyone can notice the rotation required to engauge, I would be amazed.

The new 550 is a completely different machine than the 500, change for the better in evrything from what I can tell.

I don't think there is a wrong decision, pick the one you like best, and enjoy.
Old 08-04-2011, 09:13 AM

Pull@s's are the biggets peice of junk. i had a little 180 over land and the tranny fell out of it going up a hill, it had no guts...compared to my sisters viper 90 at the time now i got a grizzly 700 its awsome. there so much power. even leaning forward you can still pull wheelies haha.mabe i got a bit more then a wheelie.if they can handle anything i throw at them im sure it will for you too.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
Pull@s's are the biggets peice of junk. i had a little 180 over land and the tranny fell out of it going up a hill, it had no guts...compared to my sisters viper 90 at the time now i got a grizzly 700 its awsome. there so much power. even leaning forward you can still pull wheelies haha.mabe i got a bit more then a wheelie.if they can handle anything i throw at them im sure it will for you too.

nice helmet doing a wheelie there

I guess darwin will take care of this one
Old 08-04-2011, 11:43 AM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
it may just be me, but i see no advantage to any of those features....just selling points that really have no bearing on the actual field performance of the machine.
They are selling points that appeal to new riders for ease of operation. No need to figure out what gear you should be in when encountering different terrain or which brake to use. They do have a separate foot pedal that activates the rear brake only as well.
For more experienced riders it makes no difference.

Last edited by mudbug; 08-04-2011 at 11:48 AM.
Old 08-04-2011, 11:46 AM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUM View Post
Some like Dodge, some like Chevy, others like.... Same thing with quads. I have Polaris quads, and have had zero issues with them, along with many friends of mine who have ran them for years. My new 550 only has about 35hrs on it, but running good, the '08 500 has a pile on it now, and nothing more than oil change/service to keep it running strong. Pretty much same pattern as the other one I had previous them.

As for AWD, true all wheel drive, whatever you want to call it, when I am in the muddy conditions, all four wheels are turning when they need to be, what else do you need? If anyone can notice the rotation required to engauge, I would be amazed.

The new 550 is a completely different machine than the 500, change for the better in evrything from what I can tell.

I don't think there is a wrong decision, pick the one you like best, and enjoy.

That's what I notice with my Sportsman, all four wheels spin in the mud and it gets me through some pretty nasty stuff. I've noticed on Honda's that only one front wheel will spin at times.
Old 08-04-2011, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Exactly, all four wheels are not locked together, they engage and disengage on their own,and you can't stop them from disengaging. What tells the front wheels to disengage?Is it not when the back wheels stop turning faster than the front wheels? How else would the system know when to stop sending power to the front wheels?

You have answered your own questions.

As you yourself just posted, the front wheels engage and disengage on their own, you can't force them to all lock up and turn the same speed.
For a steep downhill descent yes i can force all wheels to lock up and stay engaged.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:15 PM

Default Careful what You Buy

If your choice of quad doesn't have all of these - independent suspension, automatic transmission, and all wheel drive, you will be at a disadvantage at almost all riding situation.

Don't buy a Honda is your age is 65 or less. This is good advice. You'll be much more confident at water, muskeg, hills, and rocky river banks on a bike with the above mentioned specifications

Rob
Old 08-04-2011, 11:14 PM
Banned

what a ridiculous question. its like asking...say ....should you go for a ride with rita polaris mcneil or megan honda fox? its a nobrainer between the two.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roebag View Post
If your choice of quad doesn't have all of these - independent suspension, automatic transmission, and all wheel drive, you will be at a disadvantage at almost all riding situation.

Don't buy a Honda is your age is 65 or less. This is good advice. You'll be much more confident at water, muskeg, hills, and rocky river banks on a bike with the above mentioned specifications

Rob
Some of these things have disavantages. Not a real Honda guy, (I find them short on power and clearance) but a solid rear axle will articulate better on uneven terrain but eat up clearance (one of my beefs). One of the things I like about the Honda's is having a real gear box; no belt to slip, get wet or break. Maybe not the fastest way across the mud or up a hill, but a person learns to shift to maximize performance.

I think as far as ATVs go Honda is great for build quality and reliability. A family friend who lives in the Cariboo has an 86 fourtrax that sees daily ranch use and abuse. It's ridden fast, hard, and long, never been opened up and is still trusted to take him for multi-hour rides back where help is not available. The remarkable thing is that this is par for the course concerning the 1st ATCs onward.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roebag View Post
ask the guys who guide for black bear what machine to buy.

those guys put atv's through some of the worst torture you can imagine and their camps are full of hondas for a reason. The honda will get you back to camp. End of story.

The guys above who have said just pick on you like and buy it are partially right....cause most guys who buy atv's dont work them hard anyway. Want something you can abuse and still make it out of the bush? or do you want something to sit in your garage for 10 months until hunting season comes at which time it will ride in the box of your pickup and maybe retrieve 3 deer? if its the latter buy one from Canadian Tire and save some cash LOL
Old 08-05-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkw_93 View Post
HI All,
I am looking to buy a quad and am having a tough time deciding what to buy? My logic is to see what people are selling, no honda's so that tells me they are better as I see quite a few polaris for sale. What do you think?
Thanks
Polaris 500 sportsman - used to have 2 of them - winch - storage boxes - amazing quads. only got bogged down once with it at graves in a jeep hole that I tried to navigate we wont talk about that though.
Great quad, was reliable summer/winter rain/snow. climbed good, did well on wicked uneven terrain that I went through that most people weren't going to, wish I had a few photo's still, will try and dig them up!
Old 08-05-2011, 11:57 AM

Bought my first 4-Wheeler in 2000, a Sportsman 500. Still have it today and it still runs awesome. Just bought my second 4-wheeler yesterday, a Sportsman 850. All I have to say is power steering is AWESOME.
Old 08-05-2011, 12:34 PM

Ive owned them both, I had a polaris in the mid 90's, everything from clutch issues to sprockets, stater and not to mention the old 2 cycle mix crap, I was always the last guy in the pack because no one wanted to ride behind me, maybe they are a lot better now but back then I swore that I would never buy another one again and I haven't. My old Dad told me he would rather have two sisters that were *****s then have a brother that owned a Polaris. My Dad still is and my grandfater was a Honda die hard until he passed a few years back. My brother now has my Gradfathers old 86 Foretrax 350 4x4 and my Dad is still riding his identical rig. They both run like at top and probably will for another 25 years. I bought a 2003 Foreman 450 es in 04 and a 500 FM 2008, neither on of them have given me a lick of trouble, they get oil changes and air filter service every fall and that's pretty much it. I do the valves every 1000kms and they are good to go. Don't waste you money on a Polaris
Old 08-05-2011, 06:25 PM

I'm thinking your Polaris from the mid 90's is not a very valid comparison to any machine, Polaris or other, out there today. While it may have tainted your taste permanently, every other manufacturer has had someone like you who 15 years later thinks things stayed the same. I refuse to buy another chevy, but I sure can't look someone in the eye and tell them the new ones are a waste of money solely because my 96 was a heap.
Old 08-05-2011, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoast View Post
nice helmet doing a wheelie there

I guess darwin will take care of this one
haha its in my backyard dont worry when i go to public places i always were helmets
Old 08-08-2011, 07:14 PM

I think there are good points to both brands. What it really comes down to is would you like to own a machine that you like to use or one that will last forever because it is too uncomfortable to ride.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by APA View Post
x2

artic cat is another option if you want to go places quads ain't ment to be I was in the hills the other day with my cuz who has a 400 artic cat and he was going every where my canam outlander 800 was going even though he was getting there slower
Taking quads where they arent ment to go is all fine and dandy but I'm partial to not coming home on the end of a tow rope, honda all the way anything else is just a toy and a money pit.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal View Post
Taking quads where they arent ment to go is all fine and dandy but I'm partial to not coming home on the end of a tow rope, honda all the way anything else is just a toy and a money pit.
All quads will b used as a toy at some time n all atvs will cost u money in some way no matter wut! And personaly my artic cat is still running strong!!
Old 08-08-2011, 07:59 PM

Well I rode with an acrap while shed hunting. Come to a beaver damn and saidto he'll with it the ice is thick enough. Fell through over the hand le bars. He winched me out and that 08 Honda which had 10000kms on it started the first try.... Went across the field and opened it up and all u could see was white. Haha after that she ran fine. Found ten sheds after that
Old 08-08-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailman View Post
Well I rode with an acrap while shed hunting. Come to a beaver damn and saidto he'll with it the ice is thick enough. Fell through over the hand le bars. He winched me out and that 08 Honda which had 10000kms on it started the first try.... Went across the field and opened it up and all u could see was white. Haha after that she ran fine. Found ten sheds after that
Ya we have a honda to and it starts fine but the backf is crap! Im not saying that that the prob with all of them but thats just my experience with honda! Glad you didnt kill yours!
Old 08-08-2011, 09:19 PM

Default honda

Best to get the Honda. 680 Rincon is a nice machine, it has independent rear suspension which is a nice. Otherwise the 500 Rubicon would be a great choice.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:59 PM

I have an 09 Honda 420 with independent rear, power steering GPS and automatic transmission, and EFI for sale. I just bought an 11 with the exact same options. You can't go wrong with a Honda they are bullet proof!!!!

Last edited by ram crazy; 02-23-2022 at 09:35 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by APA View Post
Ya we have a honda to and it starts fine but the backf is crap! Im not saying that that the prob with all of them but thats just my experience with honda! Glad you didnt kill yours!
That is true. Haha but this one ive had only has a couple times. But our older one was beat to pi$$ and back fired alot but ran awesome
Old 08-08-2011, 10:49 PM

Default Quads

I've repaired just as many hondas as polaris's and the main difference I've found is when a honda breaks you dig deeper and wait longer for parts.
Old 08-09-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUM View Post
I'm thinking your Polaris from the mid 90's is not a very valid comparison to any machine, Polaris or other, out there today. While it may have tainted your taste permanently, every other manufacturer has had someone like you who 15 years later thinks things stayed the same. I refuse to buy another chevy, but I sure can't look someone in the eye and tell them the new ones are a waste of money solely because my 96 was a heap.
Which was why I said maybe they are a lot better now but I can't say for sure because I don't own one. I do own Honda now and my experience with them has been nothing less then excelent. Oh and I would still never buy a Polaris or a Chevy for that matter.

Last edited by Slash8; 08-09-2011 at 12:18 PM.