Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-20-2010, 11:02 PM

Question 6mm Remington

Anyone have experience shooting and hunting with this cartridge designation? I am looking for any first-hand experience information - good, bad and ugly. Thanks in advance...
Old 04-20-2010, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLT View Post
Anyone have experience shooting and hunting with this cartridge designation? I am looking for any first-hand experience information - good, bad and ugly. Thanks in advance...
I have shote every game animal other than grizzley and cougar with this cartridge.Wors good But I would use a bigger cal on elk and moose.It is all about shot placement any way. So you go ahead.Very accurate caliber aswell.Any other questions pm me and I will answer.

Justin
Old 04-20-2010, 11:29 PM

Default 6mm rem

I shoot a 6mm Rem and love it. Is very accurate and drops deer in their tracks when you do your part and put the shot in the right place. I reload for it with everything from 55gr nosler ballistic tips to 105gr speer. My choice for it is a Barnes 80gr TTSX or 85gr TSX.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:37 AM

I've got a cousin that has killed anything from gophers to moose with his. I shot my first white tail and black bear with it.
Old 04-21-2010, 06:55 PM

Default 6mm

They are a great little cartridge. Have had mine for a few years.

Ken.

Love to Live, Live to Shoot
Live by the Gun...Die by the Gun...
Old 04-21-2010, 06:57 PM

My first centerfire when I was a kid was a 6mm. Shot plenty of big game with no issues.
Old 04-21-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLT View Post
The biggest problem with the 6mm Remington is the shortage of rifles that it is chambered in.
Great caliber!!

Extreme Accuracy at Extreme Long Range
Old 04-21-2010, 09:51 PM

love my cooper, it really likes the 85 gr. TSX at pretty close to Max., the bullet seems to do a great job on deer
Old 04-22-2010, 06:23 AM

I p-refer the 6mm Remington to the 243 Winchester.
Cat
Old 04-22-2010, 07:36 AM

It's fine within it's limitations, but then again, that would apply to any cartridge.

Talk to some guides and outfitters and see what their experiences have been with hunters shooting 25's and 6's. (I know the answer, but I'm not sayin)

I have a 6 Rem that I use for coyotes and well, just cause I like it. I, like Cat, prefer it over the 243. Would I use it for deer? Sure, if thats all I had. Would it be my first choice from the rack? No.

By the way I do have a cpl of 25's as well, before everbody starts jumpin on me.

Good, bad, ugly? Dunno...what you plan to do with it? I'm thinking of doing another 6mm, a heavy bbl 6MM Ackley. Just because I want to. As a vamint gun, 6 mm is tough to beat.

As far as gophers to Elephants......well, Elenor O'connor shot just about everthing in North America and Africa with a rifle in 7 x 57. Does that mean it's the best cartridge in the world? No, it means she knew how to use it.....and by the way it is a very fine cartridge.

Anyway, there's my two bits worth.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACKLEY ABE View Post
It's fine within it's limitations, but then again, that would apply to any cartridge.

Talk to some guides and outfitters and see what their experiences have been with hunters shooting 25's and 6's. (I know the answer, but I'm not sayin)

I have a 6 Rem that I use for coyotes and well, just cause I like it. I, like Cat, prefer it over the 243. Would I use it for deer? Sure, if thats all I had. Would it be my first choice from the rack? No.

By the way I do have a cpl of 25's as well, before everbody starts jumpin on me.

Good, bad, ugly? Dunno...what you plan to do with it? I'm thinking of doing another 6mm, a heavy bbl 6MM Ackley. Just because I want to. As a vamint gun, 6 mm is tough to beat.

As far as gophers to Elephants......well, Elenor O'connor shot just about everthing in North America and Africa with a rifle in 7 x 57. Does that mean it's the best cartridge in the world? No, it means she knew how to use it.....and by the way it is a very fine cartridge.

Anyway, there's my two bits worth.
I think the reason Abe mentioned Mrs. O'connor was not only to illustrate what a good hunter and shooter can do with a smaller calibre, but also because that is the case that the 6mm is based on.
I have always thought o these cartridges as more of a long range varmint cartridge than a hunting cartridge as well, simplybebcuase I like mor ebullet weight.
I have owned a few 25'06's over the years as well, but they do not have the appeal to me that the 6.5X55 or 7X57 do for general big game hunting.
Cat
Old 04-22-2010, 08:02 AM
Banned

I shoot a 6mm Rem out of an old Ruger 77V for coyotes. I havent shot anything bigger than a coyote with it as Ackely Abe pointed out, there are better rounds for bigger game than the 6mm. I shoot 70gr Ballistic tips at 3500 fps which kills coyotes real quick out to 500 yrds.
Here's a pic of the gun and its kills.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:25 PM
waylow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinC View Post
I have shote every game animal other than grizzley and cougar with this cartridge.Wors good But I would use a bigger cal on elk and moose.It is all about shot placement any way. So you go ahead.Very accurate caliber aswell.Any other questions pm me and I will answer.

Justin
Here, here. Love the 6mm, killed gophers to moose with it. But I don't reload was one reason why I went away with it, just couldn't find ammo.
Old 04-23-2010, 10:09 AM

Started using my 6mm when I was 5yrs old, and started killing deer with it when I was 6....Used it off and on for the last 30 yrs, and have killed 20 or 30 head of big game with it and who knows how many coyotes. Never lost an animal and none of them required a second shot, and pretty much every animal its been pointed at has hit the ground like it was electrocuted. Probably some luck involved there, and circumstance, but it has killed everything faster than anything else I've used for letting the air out of animals.

I'd not hesitate to use one on deer or black bears again.
Old 04-23-2010, 02:13 PM

Having one built now. Great cartridge with lots of good bullets.. Hoping the Scirroco ii 90 grain shoots in mine.