Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-03-2010, 10:04 PM
Gone Hunting

Default 5mm Remington rimfire magnum

I was talking to a mate in NSW Australia the other day and he told me how he had just bought a 5mm Rem Mag. and 800 rounds of ammo came with it.

Then I noticed an ad in a NZ hunting magazine that "Aguila" was loading 5mm rem mag (30 gr Hollow Soft Point @ 2,300 fps.) The ad said they were available from (steves.wholsale@xtra.co.nz)

Anyone out there with a 5mm rem mag and do you have a source of ammo for it?

I have always wanted one but have passed up getting one a couple times as ammo was not readily available.

Archery Sept. 1 - Oct. 31 Muzzleloader and Crossbow Oct. 1 - Oct. 31 Rifle Nov. 25 - Nov. 30

...And HIS kingdom shall have no end...
Old 03-03-2010, 10:07 PM

Never even heard of a 5mm Rem,now i'm curious.sounds like a cool little gun!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:27 PM

My father has one. a Remington 591 I believe. They are a pretty nice rimfire round the case was desinged to take pressures well above what we see in 17hmr but never used to its potential. Pretty hard to find shells for in Canada. A company called Aquila makes shells for it but they are not licensed to sell them in Canada. you can find them in the states. Remington was the only ones to chamber rifles for it I believe there was a 591 model that used a clip and a 592 that used a tube feed. There has been some talk of some newer rifles also being chambered in it as well but hard to say if it will materialize.
Old 03-03-2010, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fast4uRuss View Post
My father has one. a Remington 591 I believe. They are a pretty nice rimfire round the case was desinged to take pressures well above what we see in 17hmr but never used to its potential. Pretty hard to find shells for in Canada. A company called Aquila makes shells for it but they are not licensed to sell them in Canada. you can find them in the states. Remington was the only ones to chamber rifles for it I believe there was a 591 model that used a clip and a 592 that used a tube feed. There has been some talk of some newer rifles also being chambered in it as well but hard to say if it will materialize.
Cool,sounds like a rare gun in canada,No ammo hey!! thanks for shareing your knowledge!
Old 03-03-2010, 10:49 PM

The 5 mm Remington Rimfire Magnum is an obsolete bottlenecked rimfire cartridge introduced by Remington Arms Company in 1970. Remington chambered it in a pair of bolt-action rifles, the Model 591 and Model 592, but the round never became very popular, and the rifles were discontinued in 1974. The ammo discontinued in 1982.[2] About 52,000 rifles were sold during its brief production run.[3] As of 2008, Aguila, a Mexican ammunition company, is producing 5mm Remington Magnum ammunition.[4]

Remington designed a new case that was very similar to the older .22 Mag, but stronger to handle the higher pressure of the 5 mm at 33,000 PSI.[5] It uses a 5mm (.20 caliber) bullet that measure 0.2045 inches (5.19 mm), the same as the more recent .204 Ruger cartridge.

For a brief time, Thompson Center Arms offered firearms in 5 mm Mag.[3] From 1982 until 2008, no ammunition manufacturers manufactured rounds for this cartridge, but some firearms manufacturers are creating conversion kits to allow the existing 5 mm guns to shoot other more-common cartridges.[3]

At the 2008 SHOT show, Taurus International introduced the first handgun chambered for the 5mm Remington Magnum rimfire.[6] Concurrent with the announcement from Taurus, Aguila Ammunition announced they would begin producing 5mm RMR ammunition in 2008.

As of January 2010, Taurus has not yet imported nor produced their Tracker in 5mm Remington rimfire. They have stated that it will be manufactured and imported pending production demand in the second half of 2010.

Case type Rimfire, bottleneck
Bullet diameter .205 in (5.2 mm)
Neck diameter .225 in (5.7 mm)
Shoulder diameter .259 in (6.6 mm)
Base diameter .259 in (6.6 mm)
Rim diameter .325 in (8.3 mm)
Rim thickness .050 in (1.3 mm)
Case length 1.020 in (25.9 mm)
Overall length 33.0mm
Primer type Rimfire
Maximum pressure 33,000 psi (230 MPa)

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-05-2010, 09:02 AM
Banned

I know a guy with one & he said he picks up small batches at gun shows because he can't find it
Old 03-05-2010, 09:10 AM

I had heard of a possible revival of the round a couple of years back, and yes Aguila was the possible source. But that is about it.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:24 AM

Aguilla makes it and it has been commonly availabel since early 08 in the US. It is available through Cabelas fairly easily in the States but have not tried to buy it through them in Canada. You may want to check Cabelas in Winnepeg. The new ammo is much better than the old stuff.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:38 PM

Just incase someone was looking for some, in my searches for other things tonight I did come across this source for 5mm RM.

http://www.ammobank.com/cgi-bin/csho...%2Ectx=RIMFIRE

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner