Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-21-2010, 05:07 PM

Default A rifle to last a lifetime.

There was a thread on hear recently about a search for such an animal. Well in the January issue of Safari magazine there is an article entitled "The Story of Two Rifles". It is about a US Army sniper that brought his battered Pre 64 barreled actions home from service in Cambodia and Laos. The author used them there as a sniper and to provide food for themselves while employed. Each action has had at least 5 barrels and as many stocks and accounted for 90% of the 476 species he has taken throughout the world. He says "These two rifles have served me well over the last 46 years and will continue to do so as long as I live."

No plastic on these receivers.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-21-2010, 07:48 PM

I just thought that article to be just too darn funny! Out of all the animals he shot the best he could do was have a picture of an antelope and not even a book animal! Second his name is not even in 1 record book!! I am not sure CIA type opertives advertise there past!1
Old 04-21-2010, 08:32 PM

Hmm. I didn't realize the record book was were it all begins and ends and he's hardly an unknown.

http://www.ferris.edu/htmls/news/car...ion/safari.pdf

-Billy Molls
Old 04-22-2010, 08:19 PM
Banned

now imagine he was carrying something modern like a blaser r93 professional, would probably have used half as many barrels hitting twice as much stuff along with very high wearing barrel material (high vanadium etc. i think, would have to go look that part up about the barrel make up again) and likely no extra stocks

so its going to take probably 100 yrs and a 2nd generation of use to be able to tell the full story of some of the more modern stuff available today....that being said...for something made pre-64...thats pretty darn impressive quality