Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-21-2010, 08:32 PM

Default H-S Prescision rifles

Are these rifles worth the money? If so are they worth the money to use as a hunting rifle and not just a target gun, considering the abuse it might take?
Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 PM

I have owned 1 HS rifle.

Chambered for 300 Win Mag, it shoots 1/2" groups (Average of 3 X 3 shot groups) at 100m with the right handload. HS makes really nice rifles! For me though, my money is better spent on a cusom build that 100% meets my goals and expectations than the stock off the shelf HS.

If I recall corretly an average HS runs about $3600. You can build a very nice custom and probably put glass ontop for that price.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 04-21-2010, 08:42 PM

At their price point they are hardly worth considering.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-21-2010, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoKilo View Post
I have owned 1 HS rifle.

Chambered for 300 Win Mag, it shoots 1/2" groups (Average of 3 X 3 shot groups) at 100m with the right handload. HS makes really nice rifles! For me though, my money is better spent on a cusom build that 100% meets my goals and expectations than the stock off the shelf HS.

If I recall corretly an average HS runs about $3600. You can build a very nice custom and probably put glass ontop for that price.
i love their stocks tho, and i know you can buy just the stocks from them. Is it possible to have somebody build me a gun using that stock for about 3 grand or less, including scope?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksteed17 View Post
i love their stocks tho, and i know you can buy just the stocks from them. Is it possible to have somebody build me a gun using that stock for about 3 grand or less, including scope?
I'd handle a couple of other couple of brands of synthetic stocks before I jumped into an HS with both feet. I've owned two and I personally think they play second fiddle.

And yes you could build for under 3k.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-21-2010, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I'd handle a couple of other couple of brands of synthetic stocks before I jumped into an HS with both feet. I've owned two and I personally think they play second fiddle.

And yes you could build for under 3k.
so what would you recommend chuck? I like the synthetic stocks with the spider web paint job. When it comes to guns, i know my way around one alright but im brand new to anything "custom". How would i go about getting someone to build me a gun. Do i order the action,barrel, trigger,stock, and they put it together? Is it something that you really need a professional to do? Any info would be great.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:26 PM

Quote:
so what would you recommend chuck? I like the synthetic stocks with the spider web paint job. When it comes to guns, i know my way around one alright but im brand new to anything "custom". How would i go about getting someone to build me a gun. Do i order the action,barrel, trigger,stock, and they put it together? Is it something that you really need a professional to do? Any info would be great.
Oh boy. Honestly, I don't know what I would do. I would pick up a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in .270 or 30-06. I would order a D'Arcy Echols Legend EDGE stock from D'Arcy for it and have Mitch Kendall put the two together complete with spider webbed paint and scope install in Leupold DD rings. Or pick up a 700 XCR in 270 or 30-06 and order McMillan Classic EDGE finished and painted and have Mitch web and bed it for you. Have him install the scope. Or, look for a used donor 700, pick a barrel, order a Classic EDGE McMillan and have someone put it together for you.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-21-2010, 09:31 PM

You can certainly get yourself an HS stock for your build. There are also several other designs to consider. My personal favorite is Mcmillan. They make such a broad array of rifle stocks they can literally meet any need. And yes you can get them with a spiderweb finish.

Stock finish is an important consideration, but choosing a stock based on the paint alone, is like buying a car because you like the colour. There are several other factors that are more important than the paint. Fit, weight and durability are factors that are high on my list when I look for a stock.

As far as sourcing the parts for a build. I think it is probably best to talk to a couple Gunsmiths to get a feel for what you want, and whom you want to build your rifle. From there you can be guided by their reccomendations and your needs in finding all of the pieces of the puzzle.

TK
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 04-21-2010, 09:34 PM

What chuck says is not wrong!!

The Winchester in an Echols legend stock would be outstanding.

Top it with some steel Talley rings and a leupold scope and you have an instant classic!

What cartridge are you thinking about?
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 04-21-2010, 09:35 PM

[QUOTE=chuck;569407]Oh boy. Honestly, I don't know what I would do. I would pick up a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in .270 or 30-06. I would order a D'Arcy Echols Legend EDGE stock from D'Arcy for it and have Mitch Kendall put the two together complete with spider webbed paint and scope install in Leupold DD rings. \QUOTE]

so if i were to go this route what do i do with the stock from the 700? And why a winchester over a silky sako or any other action?
Old 04-21-2010, 09:39 PM

Quote:
What chuck says is not wrong!!

The Winchester in an Echols legend stock would be outstanding.

Top it with some steel Talley rings and a leupold scope and you have an instant classic!

What cartridge are you thinking about?
im thinking.300 win mag. I really like the weatherby accumark but its so damn heavy that i wouldnt be able to pack it any where and shoot me another sheep. So im looking for something in that style but alot lighter, but able to withstand anything i put it through. Not that im tough on my rifles, i cry over every scratch, but you never know.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:40 PM

Sell the takeoff Remington stock in the exchange forums.

You could very well substitute a sako for the winchester. Only catch is then you would not be able to get an Echols Legend stock for it. They are only made for the Modle 70.
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 04-21-2010, 09:43 PM

[QUOTE=ksteed17;569417]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Oh boy. Honestly, I don't know what I would do. I would pick up a Winchester Model 70 Extreme Weather in .270 or 30-06. I would order a D'Arcy Echols Legend EDGE stock from D'Arcy for it and have Mitch Kendall put the two together complete with spider webbed paint and scope install in Leupold DD rings. \QUOTE]

so if i were to go this route what do i do with the stock from the 700? And why a winchester over a silky sako or any other action?
Because you get twice the rifle for half the price and can't get an Echols stock for it.

-Billy Molls
Old 04-21-2010, 09:44 PM

Quote:
im thinking.300 win mag. I really like the weatherby accumark but its so damn heavy that i wouldnt be able to pack it any where and shoot me another sheep. So im looking for something in that style but alot lighter, but able to withstand anything i put it through. Not that im tough on my rifles, i cry over every scratch, but you never know.
Nothing wrong with that cartridge.
What do you shoot right now?

While some love the Accumark, I'm inclined to believe that there are better sheep rifles out there. I also suspect that if rough mountain hunting is in your future, a synthetic stock might better suit your needs.
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 04-21-2010, 09:49 PM

tk, im shooting a ruger M77mkII in .270 with laminate stock and stainless barrel. I love the gun, to me its accurate and shoots very well. But its also quite heavy and after I tripped coming down the mountain it now has a nice ding in the side of it haha. So thats why im thinking i need something a little more durable.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:51 PM

Check out the new Nosler Custom 48 TGR its pretty sweet. has a few of the features you are looking for.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawfy View Post
Check out the new Nosler Custom 48 TGR its pretty sweet. has a few of the features you are looking for.
Ksteed17,

I have a Nosler 48 in 300 WSM if you want to give it a try...

However my above comments on the HS apply even more with the Nosler.
Its very hard to justify buying an off the rack rifle for $3400 when you can build a rifle equal or better for less money.
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 04-21-2010, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Ksteed17,

Its very hard to justify buying an off the rack rifle for $3400 when you can build a rifle equal or better for less money.
ya once the range opens back up well grab dan and go out and shoot some guns. And i also agree with going custom, i just had no idea it was relatively affordable until tonight. And both you and chuck said youd get a leupold scope, any reason other then personal preference? im a bushnell man myself thats why im wondering.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:09 PM

Leupold provides excellent quality and an affordable price.

Now if you want a Sworovski or Zeiss, I would support you in that decision as well.
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 04-21-2010, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Not that I am a sheep hunter, however I do own a couple of accumarks one being a 30-378 and I have packed it into sheep country chasing big bull elk, however the 257 accumark seems a bit lighter account shorter barrel and a more contoured barrel, not sure how that bullet would perform on sheep though as they are a big animals.Believe you can get the accumark in several other calibers as well. The ultra light has a similar stock and is lighter.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Not that I am a sheep hunter, however I do own a couple of accumarks one being a 30-378 and I have packed it into sheep country chasing big bull elk, however the 257 accumark seems a bit lighter account shorter barrel and a more contoured barrel, not sure how that bullet would perform on sheep though as they are a big animals.Believe you can get the accumark in several other calibers as well. The ultra light has a similar stock and is lighter.
You sayin the .257wby mag is not adequate for sheep? I know a few sheep who would disgree with you My buddy shot his ram at 418 yards with his .257 wby. DRT.Plenty of gun for any sheep that walks this earth.

As for the op...Get a custom gun built as Chuck and Tango suggest, It's the best bang for your buck for sure.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Ksteed17,

Do you not like your Nosler 48, the new 48 TGR only list out at around 1900.00 usd on their web page and it looks nice. I seen one once in wss but never did get round to looking at it. What about customer service with a custom compared to buying one off the shelf would it be better or worse if you had problems with the gun.
Old 04-22-2010, 06:56 AM

I've wandered into the world of custom and semi custom rifles myself many times through the years and right now I'm amazed at the quality that is available for such reasonable prices. Many of the off the rack rifle makers like H&S are poor choices in comparison for the dollars.
As Chuck and Tango have stated you can get exactly what you want without settling on one detail to get another. I have a soft spot for model 70 actions and have went that route, I've also went full custom actions on the last two from Corlane's. I'm very much a fan of McMillan hunter's Edge stocks but don't see the value in spending the extra bucks for the Echols. Having said that I'll probably end up with one, who knows! LOL.
The beauty is you can get what you want and for the same or less than an off the rack gun, including the cartridge you want and any additional work like a longer throat for heavier bullets for instance.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I'm very much a fan of McMillan hunter's Edge stocks but don't see the value in spending the extra bucks for the Echols.
What were your thoughts when you handled and shot a rifle stocked with an Echols stock?

-Billy Molls
Old 04-22-2010, 04:28 PM

Didn't shoot it, but it looked and handled nice.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Do you not like your Nosler 48, the new 48 TGR only list out at around 1900.00 usd on their web page and it looks nice. I seen one once in wss but never did get round to looking at it. What about customer service with a custom compared to buying one off the shelf would it be better or worse if you had problems with the gun.
Oh thats right, nosler came out with a less expensive modle this year. What is the difference between the TGR and the standard 48?

I like my 48.In my estimation, for the money that I have into it, I could very easily build quite a nice custom. In hind sight, I would probably never buy an HS or Nosler again.

Unless you need the instant gratification of buying a rifle off the rack, I would suggest going the custon rout.
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 04-22-2010, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
didn't shoot it, but it looked and handled nice.
sci?

-Billy Molls
Old 04-22-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Oh thats right, nosler came out with a less expensive modle this year. What is the difference between the TGR and the standard 48?

I like my 48.In my estimation, for the money that I have into it, I could very easily build quite a nice custom. In hind sight, I would probably never buy an HS or Nosler again.

Unless you need the instant gratification of buying a rifle off the rack, I would suggest going the custon rout.
Not sure it does not list the specificationsfor the standard 48 but if you go to nosler.com it shows you a picture of the TGR rifle and its specifications. Based on what i see i would give it a shot(no pun intended)for that price.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Precisionshooter

Your money is better spent on a custom gun! Of course the smith is important. The rifle should exceed quality of a MASS produced rifle. Quality and accuracy.