Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 04-15-2019, 11:37 AM

Default Red Deer West of Sundre????

Wife is taking me away this upcoming weekend somewhere West of Sundre is all she is telling me...said she has some activities planned but I can bring my waders and fly rods as well. I have never fished the Red Deer river and was wondering what the conditions would be like this time of year??? Sorry for the limited info, but that's all I got so I don't know if I right outside of Sundre or closer to Hwy 40.

Cheers,
D
Old 04-18-2019, 08:51 AM
Suspended User

There are good holes. Lots of wading to get to some of them, and it will be cold. I wear long johns at this time of the year, to keep the heat loss down. With the heat the water will be stained some, but they will be eating. Full moon may cause you some issues, I haven't checked the charts for its setting. Daybreak should be best.
Old 04-18-2019, 09:35 AM

Thanks Mr.Dave, did not look at moon phase at all so ya...let's see because the weather is not supposed to be to cooperative as well. I have been really looking at potential areas with google maps and I have always wanted to explore that back country anyway, so there will be a lot of driving and some fishing...never a bad day.

Cheers
Old 04-18-2019, 10:00 AM

Lots of holes, as Dave said, but in some stretches they're few and far between. Besides that, due to falls/rapids some stretches have very few fish. Last I was out, they were hugging bottom except for the hottest/brightest part of the day, and spoooooky. Even the Bulls were finicky, which is rare here.
Old 04-18-2019, 10:45 AM

Thanks for the heads up fisho_badyk, I will keep that in mind when approaching potential runs. I was primarily planning on using streamers, just not sure what would work with there being a full moon phase and an overcast/cold day in the forcast...going to be fun regarless to adventure out there.

Cheers