Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-27-2022, 08:37 PM

Default Remington Sportsman 58

Hi all,
Does anyone know how to remove the cocking lever on a Remington Sportsman 58 so I can remove the bolt carrier? Watched the 3 videos I could find on YouTube, and for them it just slid out? I believe I’m missing a trick of some sort….. and help would be appreciated.
Mike
Old 03-27-2022, 08:58 PM

mine just pulled straight out. grab with thumb and forefinger and pull. my old man had a hate on for 58; he was on a pheasant hunt one time and his fell out in the grass never to be seen again.
i had a nice little skeet barrelled one that never gave a minutes trouble.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 03-27-2022, 09:25 PM

They just pull straight out. There is a dente that maybe rusted and not moving out the way. Run some oil down the bolt handle and let it soak for a few days .
Old 03-28-2022, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
They just pull straight out. There is a dente that maybe rusted and not moving out the way. Run some oil down the bolt handle and let it soak for a few days .
^this. I have an 11-48, which appears to be the same gun...and is supposed to have the same charging handle as an 1100. (which it doesn't) There is a small detent as fps plus noted, if seized...it would be a bit stubborn. If you have some penetrating oil, give it a little spritz and let it sit overnight.

I keep a pc. of an old leather belt on my cleaning bench, for situations like this where I have to take a tool to something and not marr the finish.

If fps and I are correct, these charging handles have a reputation of being TOO easy to come out, at least the 11-48. I read a story about an 11-48 owner who drilled a hole in his charging handle, and tied a pc. of fishing line to it. Reading that story, I ordered a "tactical"/oversized charging handle for an 1100 then modified it to match the one out of my 11-48. I only have it as a back-up.
Old 03-28-2022, 06:51 PM

It’s not beyond the realm of possibility that someone may have put some type of compound on the charging handle to keep it in place .

Tags
model 58, remington