Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-23-2022, 07:47 AM

Default Federal Fusion Ammo-.338WM

Good day.

I have used Federal Premium (Vital Shock) .338WM 210 Nosler Partitions for decades, and my inventory is very low. Looking to stock up.

Did a bit of research and determined that this type of ammo is extremely hard to find. Mainly "Out of Stock" scenarios. I don't reload.

Recently discovered that my local Canadian Tire has a stash (back room) of Federal Fusion .338WM - 225 grains @ $66.00/box.

I am not familiar with this Fusion ammo.

Any thoughts from the ones that use it?

Much appreciated...
Old 03-23-2022, 08:07 AM

The fusions in other calibers work very well.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:46 AM

Everything you always wanted to know about Fusion ammo:

https://ammo.com/bullet-type/fusion

I also had questions about it, specifically for .338 Federal. I had an impression that it was 'budget' ammo (and it *IS* generally fairly priced, less expensive), but after talking to other people more familiar with it and doing a bunch of reading, I've come to understand it is actually a very capable bullet. Accuracy out of the box seems to be consistently excellent as well.

I haven't used any yet, but will be getting my rifle next week (finally! Yay!) So I will be trying it in 200 gr along with Power Shok 200 gr, 180 gr Accubond, 200 gr Trophy Bonded Tip, and 210 gr Partitions that I have managed to source.

I wouldn't be shy to use the Fusion on anything, but I am more partial to the 3 premium bullets I've sourced. Whichever shoot the best will get the nod.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-23-2022, 09:55 AM

Not in your calibre but I have purchased large quantities of Federal Fusion Ammo in 7mm08 and 25.06. I've still got some from a dozen or more years ago. I used it for hunting and reuse the brass for reloads. All of my reloading brass is Federal from Fusion ammunition and I've got lots of it

In my experience with them the bullets have always expanded nicely in game and they held together at shots taken on game from 50-400 yards.
Old 03-23-2022, 10:33 AM

Never used it but have heard good things about it’s capabilities! it’s not an entry level bullet or high end more of a mid range. When you compare it to say a Remington corelokt I’d give the edge to the fusion due to the jacket and core being fused. Having said that how many deer elk and moose have been taken over the years with corelokt just fine? Millions as that’s quite a capable bullet in its own right. (Corelokt is Actually my budget bullet of choice when I don’t have time to reload as it was fairly plentiful and half or 1/3 the cost of factory accubond or Barnes loads). I would buy what you can in this market. See if they would knock a few bucks off a box if you buy up their stash!
Old 03-23-2022, 01:58 PM

I’ve used the Fusion in 30-06 180 grain on a few whitetail with great success (after using exclusively Federal Premium with a Nosler Partition bullet for years). My brother also shoots Fusion out of his 338 WM and has taken a few moose with it. Both rifles seem to like it shooting at paper and we’ve had no issues with the bullet not performing on animals we’ve had a chance to take.
Old 03-23-2022, 05:37 PM

Isn’t the fusion ammo coated with something?
Old 03-23-2022, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B C BILL View Post
Isn’t the fusion ammo coated with something?
Fusion bullets are heavily plated with copper to form a jacket, sort of like a heavy duty version of Berry's bullets.
Old 03-30-2022, 05:56 PM

It has been decently accurate in 2 of my rifles and taken some game
No complaints here