Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-02-2022, 01:07 PM

We had a pretty decent weekend. We iced at least 30 lakers, lost a few more at the hole. Started out Saturday in 90 fow, caught a few then the bite slowed right down at that depth. Changed spots and fished in 35-40 fow and it was fire. They were smacking everything we dropped down to them. Even had a triple header! Sunday was the complete opposite, the fish were super lazy. Got a couple on rattle baits, the rest were caught bouncing a jig and a minnow on the bottom. Ugh 2 more weeks until I can go back again. I'm jealous of you guys that live there lol. We go at least 5 times during the hardwater season but it never feels like enough lol.
Old 02-03-2022, 04:29 PM

How is the laker bite on Cold Lake into February and early March? We've fished mostly mid to late January with good luck and would like to head back there later on in the season.
Old 02-03-2022, 05:34 PM

Default Cold lake french bay

How much snow is on the lake in the french bay area? no slush in that area?
Old 02-04-2022, 06:27 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAST_FREDDY View Post
How much snow is on the lake in the french bay area? no slush in that area?
No slush, drifts and more drifts, we had a good dump but many are still out and about in their trucks, I am going to use the quad until others break trails.

Wish I had ordered my sled last year

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-04-2022, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skhoser View Post
How is the laker bite on Cold Lake into February and early March? We've fished mostly mid to late January with good luck and would like to head back there later on in the season.
Well generally speaking feb is slower and they tend to pick off presentations off the bottom.
Early morning and evenings seem to be more active in 40 ish fow then they move out to deeper on the prowl but again sticking close to the bottoms.
You will see it on your electronics if you bang bottom and reel up they will chase but usually head back down mid water column then you just stick down off the bottom and use slight twitches...they can’t help themselfs

March I find I can pick them off again on the bottom but also throughout the water columns as they seem more active.

You have had success with what you use just change up a few things and you will have success.

Hopefully the weather warms up

Old 02-04-2022, 08:40 AM

I'm planning to be out there tomorrow. Not sure exactly where but probably Garnet area and to the north along the Sask shore. If you are out in the area and see an Eskimo Quickfish 6i and an Arctic Cat T570, come say hello.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-04-2022, 01:00 PM

Default Slush

I am ok with the snow as my quad has tracks just hate the slush it makes for a bad day.
Old 02-05-2022, 12:59 PM

Well what a poop show, couldn’t make it to garnet got the quad stuck multiple times as the snow in some areas is 2’ so went back to PP and then dug out a few that got stuck.
Finally after 4hrs we are set up. If you got a sled use it to go across the lake and with the temps tomorrow +1 it will be slushy.

We set up in 40’ and are not moving as we are tired so hunkering down and give it a go!

New tent is awesome and thx for the input regarding the purchase…toasty warm!

Good luck to you folks out here!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 02-05-2022, 07:40 PM

Jeepers that doesn't sound fun, hopefully mother nature can cool it with the temper tantrums for a bit and let the snow compact. Hopefully it doesn't turn into sled only. There's some pretty decent walk on spots spread around the lake but if they don't pan out gonna suck fairly hard.
Old 02-05-2022, 07:45 PM

What are people getting stuck with out at the PP?
Old 02-06-2022, 06:11 AM

My wife and I took our sled and headed up past Garnet. Drilled a hole to check depth at the first stop and marked fish. I told my wife to drop a chartreuse TC Moto down while I drilled a couple more holes shallower and deeper. She did and was hooked up
Immediately. It tuned into a pretty good first hour, landing 8 and losing 6 more. Then it shut down completely with no more fish coming through.

I found them out at 90-95 FOW and got a couple bumps but no more hookups the rest of the day.

Lots of snow and drifts everywhere on the lake. There was no flood water until you punched a hole. 19” of ice where we were.

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 02-06-2022, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
What are people getting stuck with out at the PP?
Well all those previous ice holes,tents,set up areas get drifted in real quick with all the snow we had and then the high winds.
Anywhere there was a ice ridge or ruff ice has really drifted in too.... vehicles were out and momentum was their friend but where you stop might be deep so it’s a gamble.
Some areas your in a foot of snow then bam two feet or more for a good distance and now Mother Nature is going to warm this all up making it a slushy soft mess....
We were on the quad plowing through got halfway over to garnet but after digging the quad out several times we made a run back....just to help others dig out....
If you have a snowmobile and plan on coming out this is the best choice, tracked quad or side by side would be a close second, wheeled quad,side by side third and I wouldn’t even take a vehicle out but this is just my suggestion as both of us have sore muscles this morning....digging out vehicles suck!
We had lots of chasers from the bottom up, a few light hookups but nothing stayed on then it just died off like nothing at all....we call it the February Blues...
Better than sitting in an office

Old 02-06-2022, 08:05 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
My wife and I took our sled and headed up past Garnet. Drilled a hole to check depth at the first stop and marked fish. I told my wife to drop a chartreuse TC Moto down while I drilled a couple more holes shallower and deeper. She did and was hooked up
Immediately. It tuned into a pretty good first hour, landing 8 and losing 6 more. Then it shut down completely with no more fish coming through.

I found them out at 90-95 FOW and got a couple bumps but no more hookups the rest of the day.

Lots of snow and drifts everywhere on the lake. There was no flood water until you punched a hole. 19” of ice where we were.

Well done!
We missed the morning bite

Old 02-06-2022, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Well all those previous ice holes,tents,set up areas get drifted in real quick with all the snow we had and then the high winds.
Anywhere there was a ice ridge or ruff ice has really drifted in too.... vehicles were out and momentum was their friend but where you stop might be deep so it’s a gamble.
Some areas your in a foot of snow then bam two feet or more for a good distance and now Mother Nature is going to warm this all up making it a slushy soft mess....
We were on the quad plowing through got halfway over to garnet but after digging the quad out several times we made a run back....just to help others dig out....
If you have a snowmobile and plan on coming out this is the best choice, tracked quad or side by side would be a close second, wheeled quad,side by side third and I wouldn’t even take a vehicle out but this is just my suggestion as both of us have sore muscles this morning....digging out vehicles suck!
We had lots of chasers from the bottom up, a few light hookups but nothing stayed on then it just died off like nothing at all....we call it the February Blues...
Better than sitting in an office
Thanks for the heads up Greg. If it remains poor access I guess I'll just stay at Diefenbaker for the week...first world problems. lol. Can't wait til we can take those new sleds out next season.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
Good job. I was rooting for you.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:32 AM

Default 2021/2022 Cold Lake Fishing and Ice Reports

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertanGP View Post
Thanks for the heads up Greg. If it remains poor access I guess I'll just stay at Diefenbaker for the week...first world problems. lol. Can't wait til we can take those new sleds out next season.

I’ll keep folks updated the best I can but like I mentioned before if the weather doesn’t dump no more snow and we get some warm temps plus the fact that after the tourney there will be packed travel routes march might be a little slice of heaven!!!

And yes those new sleds are going to be game changers for sure!

Last edited by 58thecat; 02-06-2022 at 09:38 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 10:33 AM

Out this morning for a quick fish and lake check. Managed a burbot and 4 lakers in about 1.5 hours. Bite window definitely seemed best between 8:15-9:00. Conditions on the west side are very brutal, huge snow drifts and flood water everywhere. Seen 2 trucks trying to drive on and that was a massive mistake. Be careful out there !

Cheers
Old 02-06-2022, 11:10 AM

Hows the condition of the PP boat launch?

We parked our 1 ton and 16 ft enclosed on the ice a few weeks back and we couldn't make it back up the hill because it was so slippery. We ended up needing 2 trucks in tandem to pull is up the hill. What a **** show.

Has this improved at all? or still extremely slippery with large grooves?

Thanks
Old 02-06-2022, 11:28 AM

Guys were pulling their trailers up no problem last night.
Old 02-06-2022, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ennyindabenny View Post
Guys were pulling their trailers up no problem last night.
How did you make out fishing wise?
Old 02-06-2022, 12:01 PM

Not a single bite off the PP yesterday. 3 so far today in a different spot with a few missed as well.
Old 02-07-2022, 07:02 PM

Hey guys. Has anyone ventured out to Murray Island yet? Curious if the ice is thick enough to drive on from north bay cabins.

Sent from my SM-G988W using Tapatalk
Old 02-08-2022, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrayedknot View Post
Hey guys. Has anyone ventured out to Murray Island yet? Curious if the ice is thick enough to drive on from north bay cabins.

With a machine, you're fine. If you try and take a truck you will be taking a massive risk. Last week I seen a massive opening in north bay easily 100' long and 6' wide. Also, flood water all the way from north bay leading to the river area.
Old 02-08-2022, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Egymcara View Post
With a machine, you're fine. If you try and take a truck you will be taking a massive risk. Last week I seen a massive opening in north bay easily 100' long and 6' wide. Also, flood water all the way from north bay leading to the river area.
I wouldn’t chance a truck on that journey at all, warm temps has made the snow covered surface slushy ish....even on a snowmobile I would stay away from any area that has water coming and going out of the lake.

Old 02-08-2022, 06:38 AM

I have seen tracked quads,side by sides venture out in that direction and lots of snowmobiles, myself prior to this last dump of snow easily made it to the hump in my truck, maybe with this warm week and then another stint of minus 10 trucks could move around easier.
The biggest thing is that the ice changes so just be very careful and verify ice thickness, quality etc

Old 02-08-2022, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
I wouldn’t chance a truck on that journey at all, warm temps has made the snow covered surface slushy ish....even on a snowmobile I would stay away from any area that has water coming and going out of the lake.
Thanks guys! I figured as much. I'm staying at the north bay cabins for the long weekend and was hoping for a miracle lol. We'll make the 30 km drive back to town instead of playing a game of risk. Appreciate the heads up!

Old 02-08-2022, 08:25 AM

I didn't think of it until someone on FB mentioned it, but how's English Bay for access and thickness right now? Sorry I'm asking the how thick's the ice question. I've been up there twice this winter already but have only stuck to garnet, provincial and the marina.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrayedknot View Post
I didn't think of it until someone on FB mentioned it, but how's English Bay for access and thickness right now? Sorry I'm asking the how thick's the ice question. I've been up there twice this winter already but have only stuck to garnet, provincial and the marina.
English has a ice heave 100 yds out and bad flood water 50 yds out. No access except by OHV if you dare.

Also
see post #264
Old 02-08-2022, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisebuck View Post
English has a ice heave 100 yds out and bad flood water 50 yds out. No access except by OHV if you dare.

Also

see post #264
Thanks! Dang I'm just better off avoiding that whole side of the lake for now. Oh well lol

Old 02-08-2022, 09:11 PM

Going to be out there this weekend. How's the fishing been at the marina? Can any one suggest a good area to fish ? Brining a bunch of kids for my sons birthday. Thanks