Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-29-2013, 04:38 AM

Default August 28 Chickakoo/Sauer in the rain

I love fishing in light rain and today I had the opportunity to do just that. I was at Chickakoo lake by 5pm and I could already see the sky darkening. Luckily I was well equipped with my Rain apparel so I had no fear of any sort of downpour. I set up camp on one of the docks and quickly cast a Mepps Agila #2 gold spinner let it sink for about 6 seconds and started a steady medium speed retrieve... Nothing.. so I relocated my cast and again waited and reeled in...I felt a very strong bite and I set the hook and brought in this little guy. He was a very active fish too putting up a great fight for his size... They really are fat for small Rainbows... oh and for anyone wondering Rainbows that I catch from these small ponds are all C&R =)

After they stopped biting on the spinner I switched to the Mepps Syclops Silver 1/8 oz spoon and got a lot of bites on it but had trouble bringing them into the net. Most of the bites occured about 4 feet away from the dock so it was cool to see how fast the trout move underwater when they are hunting down their prey. Soon families with children started occupying the shore spots beside me.

They weren't annoying or anything and I have no problem with fishing with people but today I was in more a reflective mood with all the rain and what not so I politely moved locations to the Neighboring sauer lake.
I found a great spot all to myself ontop of a beaver lodge and was able to catch a few more fish using Len Thompson 5 of diamonds.

My favorite moment today though was my last few minutes on the lake when I was trying to land that classic "last one before packing up". The sun was dying so I tried a spinner I never had any luck with. It was a size 0 mepps agila spinner colored bright neon orange. I quickly cast it out and retrieved extremely slowly.. after about 5 casts I decided it was time to go so I sped up on the final retrieve and suddenly a quick bite! surprised, I set the hook only to realize that the fish bit the lure right in front of me and was now flying towards me. It was the smallest trout i've caught all year and because of its small size it bounced off my chest, unhooked itself, dropped to the water in front of me and shot back into the darkness of the water.. I had a good laugh and decided to head home. Here are some shots of Sauer lake during the light drizzle and sunset =)
oh and on a side note, the leaves by the lake are starting to fall already! AHHH!

Old 08-29-2013, 08:03 AM

That's awesome!! Great pics! Was at that spot Monday and got nada.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:02 AM

Love your posts so much......lol
Old 08-30-2013, 12:10 AM

Great story and pics
Old 08-30-2013, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy on a Buffalo View Post
That's awesome!! Great pics! Was at that spot Monday and got nada.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotezh View Post
Love your posts so much......lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adwittoutdoors View Post
Great story and pics
Thank you all! I'm happy to be able to share these fishing stories with such a great group of people.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 AM

Awesome write up and some nice fish sir.

Rainbows love variable speed retrieves and S pattern trolls. Anything that is speeding up and slowing down and changing direction seems to turn them on.

Thanks for sharing.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-30-2013, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Awesome write up and some nice fish sir.

Rainbows love variable speed retrieves and S pattern trolls. Anything that is speeding up and slowing down and changing direction seems to turn them on.

Thanks for sharing.
That's what I find too. Whenever I am using a Spinner or a Spoon from shore I get a lot more hits if I start off with a quick retrieve then slowdown significantly about halfway. The moment the speed changes is when I get most of my strikes actually. I'm still looking around for a good trolling motor to equip onto my inflatable boat but once I get one I'll for sure try S pattern trolls as well
Old 08-30-2013, 01:38 PM

After it sinks, try a few quick reels, then a few short, then a few quick.

I used a 30lb thrust minn kota for my old 11' and the ex's 12' tinner. worked well, except if I had to head into the wind then it was a challenge.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-30-2013, 09:41 PM

Default August 30th Sauer Lake

Well, I was back at it again this afternoon hoping to sneak a few fish before the rain started. I was a bit iffy at first looking up at the sky and seeing the winds blowing but it was totally worth it. While at Sauer lake I was hit with some heavy winds and a slight drizzle but once the clouds passed overhead it was a clear sky and the wind died down.

The fishing was pretty slow at first but at around 8pm it started heating up. At around 8:20 pm as the sky was starting to turn a nice pinkish tone I got a very aggressive bite on my 5 of diamonds.

The fish went straight out of the water and made a big splash landing a few feet ahead of me. In slight surprise, and also thinking I had already lost him I just held my rod. But as soon as the ripples cleared my line went tight and started dancing around so I began to quickly reel in.

Nothing beats fighting with a fish on your line as the sun is going down... It was a perfect way for me to end my summer as in a few days it is back to a busy University schedule for me. I'll definitely try sneaking in a few trips to the pond when I have time but today was a really nice way to end my summer =)