Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-28-2013, 07:15 PM

Default Battle or Buck Lake?

Looking for a new lake to go fishing at tomorrow. Have not been to Buck Lake in probably 10 years and have never fished Battle Lake. The last time I was a Buck the boat launch was sand and was by Buck Lake Marine. Is it still sand or is there a better one on the lake? How is the launch at Battle Lake?
Old 08-28-2013, 07:20 PM

Battle lake for rustic scenery. Beautiful gem.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:41 PM

I like battle lots of pike a few perch. There are a lot of springs in the lake nice place not to many people either
Old 08-28-2013, 08:20 PM

How is the boat launch at Battle Lake? Not to worried about putting the boat in But taking the boat out is a concern? Only have a 2 wheel drive 1/2 ton so no sand boat launch for me.
Old 08-28-2013, 10:25 PM

I don't recommend the launch unless you have 4wheel drive. If you can't pull your boat off the trailer by hand you will definitely be backed in to the end of the dock. And take out is pretty much the same. Spin once in 2 wheel drive your pretty much FUBAR'd. I fish the lake lots. I get my 19' walleye boat in out and it's a challenge everytime. Is it worth it. Oh ya everytime!!!
Old 08-29-2013, 10:07 PM

Battle lake is a lot cleaner and quieter, but the boat launch there is horrendous, though shore fishing works well there
Old 08-30-2013, 10:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
Battle lake for rustic scenery. Beautiful gem.
x2
Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 PM

Default battle lk

Went to battle last sat. boat launch shallow and sandy you will need 4wd.The lake was very dirty, fishing so-so.You cant see more than 2ft.We trolled for 5hrs, caught 8 pike and 4 walleye al smaller in size.Lotsa droppoffs on this lake used to be better, i think the water cond. played a big part, but a nice quiet little lake with nice scenery.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipbobber View Post
Looking for a new lake to go fishing at tomorrow. Have not been to Buck Lake in probably 10 years and have never fished Battle Lake. The last time I was a Buck the boat launch was sand and was by Buck Lake Marine. Is it still sand or is there a better one on the lake? How is the launch at Battle Lake?
there is a good boat launch on buck lake at the north end campground where the water goes out, great drop off for any seize boat, and the fishing at that end of the lake great, good luck.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:26 PM

Battle Lake is a beautiful lake. Lots of pike and beautiful. Campground is pretty well maintained but crowded & noisy.
Boat launch is gravel and not too bad. Just have to pick the spot that is least chewed up. Still better than most IMO

Haven't been to Buck in a couple of years. This time of year, like driving in alfalfa i hear due to the algae.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:29 PM

Battle Lake is a beautiful lake. Lots of pike. Apparently there are white fish but I haven't ever caught any. It is my favorite lake for this area. Campground is pretty well maintained but crowded & noisy on weekends.
Boat launch is gravel and not too bad. Just have to pick the spot that is least chewed up. Still better than most IMO. 4WD recommended

Haven't been to Buck in a couple of years. This time of year, like driving in alfalfa i hear due to the algae. Just a couple of opinions
Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 PM

Default Battle Lake.

This lake IMO has never been the same since they give the Metis there rights back a few years back. I guess its been a while now. I love the lake. Like some one said its a real Gem! I personally know some people who used to net this lake when that all went trough and took 100's of huge walleye out of this lake. Some of them were over 10 lb's. A lake this size takes a long time to recover from something like that. This used to be a great lake to take your kids fishing cause they would catch fish almost every cast. Not so good now
Old 08-30-2013, 09:54 PM

Battle lake boat launch is a tough one for 2wd. How about pigeon,the fishing is better there. Plenty of action and good launches. Battle is pretty but the fish can be few and far between. Buck is always pretty good fishing. Algae is pretty much everywhere at this time of year.