Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-28-2008, 11:54 AM

Default grizzly spotters map again?

heard on the radio news that grizzly hunt will be postponed some more...which reminded me of that grizzly spotters map that was posted here last year do anything or what become of it?
will it be up again?
I cant remember who designed it, but is real good idea and hopefully it generated some info for the powers that be!

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 04-28-2008, 06:12 PM

Rodger, it was MapMaker's thread. I'll try 'n find the link after supper here for ya.

Tree
Old 04-28-2008, 06:23 PM

hey roger:
that was my map I put up last year.
I still have it on my webpage but stopped taking sightings.
http://www3.telus.net/albertagps/Gri...0Sightings.htm

The sightings map did follow the alberta grizzly range so it was a fairly good indicator. But as it was pointed out on here, it doesnt have much for useful content for the SRD because of multiple sightings of the same bear.

It was a fun side project to do. When you get everyone on this board pitching in on the same direction, you can do things that wouldnt be possible by yourself.

I don't feel there would be any point to doing it this year. I would assume 90% of the newer points would just overlap.
maybe its time for a new project
Dan
Old 04-28-2008, 06:29 PM

Quote:
but is real good idea and hopefully it generated some info for the powers that be!
I doubt how this would generate any info for anyone. It's my opinion many of the same bears are seen two and three times.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuc View Post
I doubt how this would generate any info for anyone. It's my opinion many of the same bears are seen two and three times.
thats true tuc, but in my opinion, its always better to do something than to do nothing. If you fail, oh well, but i know i learned a few things from doing it. How does anyone get anything from complaining?

One thing i like about alberta is that it doesnt have 100% faith in the government so albertans have to do things for theirselves.

One project I would have an interest in doing, is setting up a plan to test our deer for CWD, but test it where Albertan hunters want to test it, on the west slopes and in the north to see if it exists there.
Not sure what the interest would be though as it could be costly.
Old 04-28-2008, 08:38 PM
jrs

The grizzly map was a good idea. I know i managed a few sightings and forgot to include a few others. There may not be 1200 Grizzlies in Alberta but i think there's a few more than the 400-500 some would like us to believe. The overlap is interesting in itself, maybe some of the areas with too many sightings of the same bear indicates its habituated or there's too much access. Then again. maybe not. At least it makes a person think. I know of the grizzlies i saw last summer, only one (momma with cubs) ran off with any urgency. The others seemed indifferent and one came up to the truck window in WMU 438, i bet that one was reported more than once. I thought it was a good idea. And instead of posting the sightings on the Internet this summer, mention them to Fish and Wildlife when you're out. I always do and they appreciate the information for numerous reasons.