Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-23-2008, 09:20 AM

The reality is that once you have your machine, all those comparisons and machine stats and specs go out the window. If you are putting around on the trails with the family, any machine will do. If you challenge the bogs and the quad-eating mud holes, eventually you will get stuck just like everyone else. Performance is far more driver-dependent than the manufacturers will let on.

No, Can-Ams are not lemons, if you do the maintenance on them and take care of them you shouldn't have any problems with them. If you look at them again, note a few things:

- the chassis is constructed in such a way that you probably won't need a skid plate.

- look at where the inboard disc brakes are, and how well protected they are from trail damage

- note the improved geometry of the independent suspension: it is simpler and more rugged than any other machine on the market.

- the viscolok 4 wheel drive system is one of the best systems on the market and is a true 4 wheel drive

These are real advancements and not mere sales fluff; the newer machines probably have a few more improvements too. These machines are not lemons nor are they unreliable.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty P. Bucket View Post
- the viscolok 4 wheel drive system is one of the best systems on the market and is a true 4 wheel drive
It's good, but not great. There is a slight delay before it locks up. By then, it can be too late, I've seen it. I will say though, Can-Am has bar none, the best motor out there. The Rotax motor just has sooo much power.

I have an 2006 Kodiak 450, juiced up slightly If I knew then what I know now, I would have gone with a Can-Am, even without a true locker.

Bottom line is that a modern, properly ridden and maintained quad, will last a long time and do what is asked of it, no matter what brand you go with (excluding the Korean/Chinese).
Old 04-23-2008, 01:07 PM

I looked at the Can Ams today. Yes, they look very well built, but I'm just repeating what my own aquaintances tell me. My buddy's quad didn't get enough bush time to get run down. It was just a headache. Sure, I realize that they probably aren't all like that. It's just another thing to consider. I'm just looking for a machine that is capable for hunting, and still comfortable to ride casually.

I did find that Red Deer Powersports is the cheapest so far for an 08. Wetaskawin has some good deals too. So far Edmonton is still the worst.

I'll keep reporting on my findings, and all advice is welcomed.

thanks, guys!
Old 04-23-2008, 01:15 PM

I've usually found blackfoot motorsports in calgary to be cheaper than Red Deer Power Sports, on the 4 yamahas I have bought Blackfoot averaged around $600 cheaper per machine, although I guess they were all sport units and not utes if that makes any difference.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:40 PM

Angler, lock up time is a function of the input shaft speed. You are right, a little slippage has to occur before the system engages. I get around that by pinning the throttle in 'iffy' terrain and the system lock up is almost instantaneous. In theory I suppose it may be a problem for some but for me it hasn't been.

I think if I were to critique the machine, I would complain about the plumbing - I have noticed that when the engine is hot and suddenly goes for a dunk in water, the steam cannot escape properly and goes directly into the airbox, and of course the machine begins to gargle and gag. Mine has never stalled out, but it is disconcerting. I have seen lots of Hondas and Suzukis drown themselves out in this manner. One fella got around that by punching some 1" holes in his cowling to let that steam escape and he never had the problem again. I could do the same, but I would rather just avoid the high water to begin with.

That is another plus for the Yamaha IMO, though...if you want to snorkle your machine, it is a piece of cake and with a little thought you can get a bulletproof installation. Snorkelling the Bomb is a bear and will involve drilling holes and possibly leaving the plumbing exposed to damage on the trail which is why I haven't done it.
Old 04-23-2008, 02:43 PM

Oh - another thing to keep in mind is service. I used to deal with the bungholes at Fartin Marm Equipment where they sell the Bombs like hot cakes. Their service is the pits - but that seems to be endemic to alot of them these days.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:06 PM

Default Yamaha vs Kawasaki brute force.

Great thread because I am still making up my mind on a Quad and which one. I have seen Sugar Creeks Quad with all the accessories and wonder if i should downsize from the 700 Grizzly to get the extras he has.

I have been surfing for over the border prices which have local dealers beat.

how about the Kawasaki Brute Force,I know guys who own them and they rave about the V-twin power.

As far as my vote right now and experience through the years I will most likely go with the Grizzly 700 with all the bling Bling. Its a handfull of cash to spend so i just want reliability.
Old 04-23-2008, 03:22 PM

you want the yamaha with the independent rear ,the swing arm causes so much trouble,i have one with the swing arm and i get stuck so much easier than anyone else i would never buy a quad agIain without it
Old 04-24-2008, 08:53 AM

Can-am .
Old 04-28-2008, 07:18 AM

OK, I found myself a used one and bought it on the weekend. It's an 06 Yamaha Grizzly 660. It's got some scratches and the front bumper is dinged up, but it only has 600km on it, came with a winch and a quad box and runs great. I paid $6000 for it.

There was a new one at Blackfoot Motorsports for a damn good price that really had me tempted. for $8900 and change (all in) I could have bought a 2008 Grizzly 660 with a winch (not installed). That's cheaper than what some places in Edmonton want for a 450!

The best deals on the 08 450 were in Red Deer, Wetaskawin and Ft.Sask.
Old 04-28-2008, 07:23 AM

I think you will be very happy with that quad. Lots of them out there. Have fun.