Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-28-2013, 01:43 PM

Default Disposing of fish waste?

I'm curious what others do with their waste after filleting fish. Presently I am bagging them up and freezing them until garbage day, and putting them out the morning of or night before. Problem is I'm running into constant issues with garbage collection. Any given week, for whatever reason, my pickup is either imcomplete or non-existant. Weeks with stat holidays the schedule is never consistent. Leaving waste out in 30 degree weather for even an extra day gets pretty rank, and I hate having to constantly babysit my garbage to make sure it is gone. How do you guys deal with your fish waste?
Old 08-28-2013, 02:00 PM

bury them in your garden for fertilizer, or throw them back in the lake as they provide nutrients from what i've heard......
we usually just do the same thing, freeze them then throw them in the garbage the night before garbage day, but if they don't come it really stinks....
Old 08-28-2013, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
I'm curious what others do with their waste after filleting fish. Presently I am bagging them up and freezing them until garbage day, and putting them out the morning of or night before. Problem is I'm running into constant issues with garbage collection. Any given week, for whatever reason, my pickup is either imcomplete or non-existant. Weeks with stat holidays the schedule is never consistent. Leaving waste out in 30 degree weather for even an extra day gets pretty rank, and I hate having to constantly babysit my garbage to make sure it is gone. How do you guys deal with your fish waste?
YAh I sympathize with your dillema. Ive had similar issues with that, and I usually do what you do, freeze until garbage day, than that morning its out..and mostly just pray no birds or etc get to it when it dethaws and makes a huge stench.
Old 08-28-2013, 02:09 PM

I clean them right at the lake. If there isn't a cleaning shack the remains get thrown back into the lake. I used to bring them home but then you have the mess and smell etc back at the house and it isn't worth it.

A note if throwing them in the lake, don't just toss them in right at the boat launch or close to where people regularly fish. Throw them in deeper water away from main areas.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:09 PM

Isn't it against the law to fillet them when transporting?i thought you could only gut them before transoprting. I know my ole man was fined a couple years ago leaving calling lake. He filleted the fish and left the skin on so you could determine species but was still fined as the CO's weren't able to determine length.

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 08-28-2013, 03:16 PM

you can clean fish and leave the head on tail on easy enough for transport and just filet when you get home no muss no fuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CK Angler View Post
Isn't it against the law to fillet them when transporting?i thought you could only gut them before transoprting. I know my ole man was fined a couple years ago leaving calling lake. He filleted the fish and left the skin on so you could determine species but was still fined as the CO's weren't able to determine length.
Old 08-28-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
If the fish is subject to a size limit then yes you are supposed to be able to prove length.

I wonder if a picture taken before cleaning would suffice. You would think it should as long as amount of fish is same as in pictures.

Calling lake would be a bad one for that due to the strict slot size. Other lakes you would think the CO would be a little forgiving(especially depending on species).
Old 08-28-2013, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I once heard of someone getting fined for the same reason. Length requirement was 43cm, Filet was 40cm in length...

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-28-2013, 03:52 PM

Here's a question. What about a shore lunch? If they catch you frying up walleye and you can't prove the length could they fine you? It would be a dick move but technically the could? No?

We take these risks in life, not to escape life, but to prevent life from escaping us. Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams. - No Fear

http://youtu.be/3JbTBYk7xII

http://youtu.be/Ujl2kz1M8y8
Old 08-28-2013, 04:00 PM

Please don't through them into the lake, nothing is more disgusting than looking at someone's fish waste. With lakes being used by more and more non-fishermen it sends a poor image. Found some thrown in at the dock of a local pond and the couple launching their kayaks had some disparaging things to say about the litter in the lake.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-28-2013, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Please don't through them into the lake, nothing is more disgusting than looking at someone's fish waste. With lakes being used by more and more non-fishermen it sends a poor image. Found some thrown in at the dock of a local pond and the couple launching their kayaks had some disparaging things to say about the litter in the lake.
That's why you clean them on your boat, bring a board to do this on, and dump the waste in 10-15+ feet of water and at least a few hundred feet out from beaches, launches, and docks. Burbot food.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 08-28-2013, 05:11 PM

for myself if i am at home i usually discard the bones after making some fish stock for stuff like chowder or something. then all the cooked bones and the entrails are double bagged after wrapping them in some news paper(learned that from someones post here) and put out into the trash that night so it doesn't stink up the house. but the problem we have is these idiots who keep thinking we put bottles and cans in there and they keep ripping open the garbage bags looking for bottles to make money even though there is a separate bin for those mind you and we take the bottles in ourselves. but the tip i got from here is if the remains are wrapped in multiple layers of news paper and then double bagged its not as bad.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:37 PM

Quote:
That is why I said don't throw them in right at boat launch etc...

If you are cleaning them on shore(I clean on my boat or kayak) then walk to a spot a ways from any commonly used areas and throw the guts out as far as possible.

The guts/bones sink so if you are in deep enough water no one will ever know they are there but the aquatic life will enjoy the little feast you have left them.
Old 08-28-2013, 08:47 PM

freeze them bear bait in the spring
Old 08-28-2013, 10:17 PM

Default cant get enough

I save it and add it to my meatsickles for coyotes in winter. Experiment 2 years ago showed fish waste hit 1 week earlier than regular with only meat. maybe it is the oily scent??
Old 08-28-2013, 10:26 PM

1.Talk to a Trapper that you know he will use for trapping leaves in a bucket then uses the oil on a stick as bait

2.ask a Filipino( Philippines) person if they would like the filleted fish as they make fish head soup from the body parts

3.Talk to your local Garden Club they will use in their composting pile

I have had both(1 & 2) take my used parts of fish every once in a while I will give them a fish or few

ps I freeze till I have a bag full

Food for Thought
David
Old 08-30-2013, 03:05 PM

Thanks for the input. I guess I'm kind of in a tricky situation. No use as bait for me. There is a filleting shack at the lake I usually fish at so maybe I will start spending a few extra minutes there and dealing with them when I can. I may think about taking whatever remains I have from the freezer next time I go out and dumping them in the middle of the lake.

At some point I may have to get to the bottom of this whole garbage pickup mess. I can't really figure it out. I used to have regular garbage cans and had an issue with the garbage men leaving the lids off (which is against city bylaw), and they would fill with rain and turn rank. So I built a new garbage containment with 3 of the large containers with flip lids (the kind they use in bigger citys where the truck just latches on and dumps them automatically). Only reason I can think for incomplete pickup is they don't want to make any effort reaching in, but I am just shy of 5'7" and have no trouble grabbing anything I put in there (always big bags on bottom, small bags on top), nothing over 25 pounds (limit is 50). Right now putting the frozen remains out and hoping they take them is a real PITA, I work shift work and coming home after a 12 hour night shift and 2 hour commute the last thing on my mind is checking my garbage.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:11 PM

Don't take previously frozen remains to a lake and throw them in. If you already have them at home just put them in garbage or take them to a different public garbage if you have such an issue with leaving garbage out.
Old 08-30-2013, 03:35 PM

Quote:
x 2 its nasty stuff . I think its a practice people see from on the west coast , but we don't have the wildlife that clean up like they do there . Pretty simple to gut your fish toss the stuff away in the garbage or into the bush the crows and ravens will clean that up , but when you see head tail and all that use a little respect , take it home deal with the smell its really not that bad in the jist of things . And if it bothers you let them swim away .
Old 08-30-2013, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBJTKLE&FISHINGADVENTURES View Post
x 2 its nasty stuff . I think its a practice people see from on the west coast , but we don't have the wildlife that clean up like they do there . Pretty simple to gut your fish toss the stuff away in the garbage or into the bush the crows and ravens will clean that up , but when you see head tail and all that use a little respect , take it home deal with the smell its really not that bad in the jist of things . And if it bothers you let them swim away .
I have much more of an issue with people throwing it in the bush because most people are too lazy to actually put it somewhere it isn't going to be smelled or found by people. Far worse running across a carcass on shore then seeing one on the bottom of a lake.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:15 PM

Quote:
please don't feed the bears.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-30-2013, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavCanoe View Post
I have much more of an issue with people throwing it in the bush because most people are too lazy to actually put it somewhere it isn't going to be smelled or found by people. Far worse running across a carcass on shore then seeing one on the bottom of a lake.
Fare enough but im not meaning along the edge of the trees I mean walk in 50 or 100 yards your not going to smell anything before its gone anyway . Best bet is a garbage can or whatever .
Old 08-30-2013, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
please don't feed the bears.
why not better then feeding trolls of the internet . And at least there decent to watch and look at . But Ill continue to do what I do until Im told its illegal and if that Pos you off even better .
Old 08-31-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
That's why you clean them on your boat, bring a board to do this on, and dump the waste in 10-15+ feet of water and at least a few hundred feet out from beaches, launches, and docks. Burbot food.
x2
Old 08-31-2013, 08:45 PM

Quote:
why not better then feeding trolls of the internet . And at least there decent to watch and look at . But Ill continue to do what I do until Im told its illegal and if that Pos you off even better .
Not illegal! Bet you it is.
Besides it is just common sense. Just that common sense is not that common anymore.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
take away the bones the rest bury makes great fertiziler for vegetables, flowers, etc
Old 08-31-2013, 11:07 PM

Didn't read through all replies but....first thing I'd do is call the powers that be and make sure your garbage is picked up. U pay taxes, it's your right.

I am constantly leaving messages with Med Hat parks n recs to have our beloved city crew open the city park gates on time. Some of my favorite fishn holes are best accessed through parks. Sooo, .signs says gates open at 7, sometimes 8 a.m. rolls around and there is a bunch of dog walkers, fisherfolk, bird watchers, handicapped, all waiting for the magical hungover 19 yr old to unlock the gates. Well....some of us don't have time to wait, some of us are hindered, some of us have a slim time margin to fish.

I know this doesn't really answer your Q, but my advice is make some calls, be persistent. Somebody is dropping the ball.

Not sure if my calls have made a dif, but they can't hurt. I gave up n just walk further but I have noticed gates unlocked well before 7 a.m. the past couple months. So maybe calls did help. Have to leave messages though...not open till 8 lol n closed on weekends. Ugh, underfunding.....only so much coin to go around.

Anyway, make some calls. Get your Gbags picked up on time, like they are supposed to be.

Cheers.