Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM

Default roast beef for supper

After getting a moose last year and an Elk this year we hadn
't had a roast beef in the over for quite a while. The 14yr old comes down stairs and says " Hey what is that funny smell". FS
Old 02-25-2014, 07:42 PM

Isn't that the truth. Was at a buddy's place for supper a while back and he didn't have enough moose thawed out so cooked up a beef steak and I volunteered to take the beef. That was a mistake.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:51 PM

Default good one

Sounds like our place a number of years ago as we ate mostly game. We put out a beef roast one day with company and my youngest insisted on knowing who "shot it".
Old 02-25-2014, 08:13 PM

Couldn't agree more with your 14 year old! Last summer my old man tried to pull a fast on me at a family function with the burgers by leaving some game wrap on the bbq, however the beak doesn't lie and I knew we had run out of our ground moose. Nothing beats wild game, haven't purchased beef in god knows how long!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:49 AM

Make sure you spread the word, make sure when your knocking on the doors of the beef producers looking for access to tell them how bad their product is! Maybe when they decline you access you could just go out and cut their fences and go in anyhow. Maybe you could even shoot one or two of their cows just to make sure they don't make it to a kitchen table anywhere and spoil any bodies appetite. Then you would have some coyote bait to shoot coyotes off of, the rancher won't mind because it's just poor tasting beef anyway and you will be saving wildlife. Or maybe think twice about what you post on a public forum.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thredneck View Post
Make sure you spread the word, make sure when your knocking on the doors of the beef producers looking for access to tell them how bad their product is! Maybe when they decline you access you could just go out and cut their fences and go in anyhow. Maybe you could even shoot one or two of their cows just to make sure they don't make it to a kitchen table anywhere and spoil any bodies appetite. Then you would have some coyote bait to shoot coyotes off of, the rancher won't mind because it's just poor tasting beef anyway and you will be saving wildlife. Or maybe think twice about what you post on a public forum.
That's it, you tell'em!! You straighten them out but good.

Oh, boy. Have you been sanding your emotions on an emery board?

Bobby B.

Old 02-26-2014, 08:10 AM

All meat smells differently when cooked....someone who eats beef every night is going to think deer "smells funny" and vice versa.

I don't think the comment was meant to harm/bash the beef industry,he was just pointing out it was funny for a kid to think beef smelled different because they weren't used to it.

LC
Old 02-26-2014, 08:28 AM

my 7 year old wont eat beef any more or chicken only wild game

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 02-26-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
This right here is whats wrong with this forum. Funny thing is that he probably thinks his post is somehow making things better...
Old 02-26-2014, 10:01 AM

I doubt a few guys posting on a hunting forum espousing their love of wild game is going to shift mass market grocery purchasing tendencies. Your ranch and livelihood is safe 4thredneck, I'm a poor enough hunter to keep you in business . I hope you raise pork too.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:09 AM
Banned

I myself am not a huge fan of wild game. Ill eat it but it doesn't do anything special... Moose being my favourite. This being said I still love getting into the outdoors with my buddies and being a hunter. You cant beat being in the outdoors. I could care less if I shot anything at all, for me its about being out there.
Old 02-26-2014, 10:34 AM

Default Wheres the beef

Grass fed or feed-lot beef are 2 every different animals
Old 02-26-2014, 12:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
my 7 year old wont eat beef any more or chicken only wild game
I`m with him.When I BBQ the wife gets the nice beef rib eye,I eat the elk T-bone.I do like chicken and love pork though.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:26 PM

I remember one time the wife used beef burger to make her spaghetti sauce, both of our kids curled up their noses on the first bite. like she was trying to feed them dogfood or something.....I think once your used to wild meat you really notice the fat taste in beef.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:42 PM

Im having me some Elk roast tonight. Cant wait. As for beef, I used to buy half a cow every year or so, but now its strickly elk, deer, grouse and pig unless I am at a restaurant.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:49 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
You should try the yotes that are taken off a beef kill pile...sweatest meat you'll ever eat...stinks a bit though! Ahhh poop should have thought twice before I shared that with this forum, my bad!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-26-2014, 02:41 PM

I love love love wild meat...wait...I should have said - I love love love meat. I am not racist one way or the other. WIld or domesticated, grass fed or feed lot, if it took a ride in the back of my truck from the field or the grocery store, it don't matter much to me. If I had to pick a preference, I would have to say barbecue...or pan-fried. Roasted in a pinch. Dang it, I just love meat!
Old 02-26-2014, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faststeel View Post
After getting a moose last year and an Elk this year we hadn
't had a roast beef in the over for quite a while. The 14yr old comes down stairs and says " Hey what is that funny smell". FS
No pics means that it didn't happen. Sure beats Royal Pizza. lol
Old 02-26-2014, 05:28 PM

Beef , venison, pork, elk, bear, I love it all and don't care WHAT it is as long as the main course is not vegetables or some crazy tofu
Cat
Old 02-26-2014, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Maybe you could try not pumping hormones into your cattle? Or maybe go strictly grass fed? You know, match wild game?

Or you could just not be a flake and see the op's post for what it is, an appreciation for wild meat that was in no way offensive.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Banned

From when I was ten years old:

Mom: Why caribou again?

Any moose left in the freezer?

Been there.
Old 02-26-2014, 07:03 PM

I love wild meat, birds, fish, whatever I can catch/shoot. But I still love a good rib eye or Atlantic Salmon filet!
Old 02-26-2014, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRsMav View Post
Maybe you could try not pumping hormones into your cattle? Or maybe go strictly grass fed? You know, match wild game?
I don't think this is correct?
Old 02-26-2014, 08:03 PM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
Beef , venison, pork, elk, bear, I love it all and don't care WHAT it is as long as the main course is not vegetables or some crazy tofu:thinking-006:
Cat
Cat's gunna git a warning. We don't use the T word around here...
Old 02-26-2014, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burglecut83 View Post
I myself am not a huge fan of wild game. Ill eat it but it doesn't do anything special... Moose being my favourite. This being said I still love getting into the outdoors with my buddies and being a hunter. You cant beat being in the outdoors. I could care less if I shot anything at all, for me its about being out there.
Now that's my kind of hunter. The best part is the going and camaraderie. Bagging something is a bonus.
Old 02-26-2014, 08:11 PM

Right on burglecut!
I prefer a good prime riib of bef or a cross rib steak. A november shot whitetail isnt shot for meat.
If deer didnt have horns i wouldnt killm at all.
Im thinking there is a certain amount of ' i did it' myself pride in eating a moose you hunted.
If we actually factored the cost of how much a moose actually cost it would be probably more than a side of farm growed cow.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 02-26-2014, 08:15 PM

I think I am just about the red meat....prime rib with Yorkshire pudding and horseradish is unbeatable....

LC
Old 02-26-2014, 08:24 PM

The missus and I are all about the hunt, the harvest and the processing of our wild game ourselves. We live the gym lifestyle and in doing so we fuel ourselves with lean protein packed meat. Their isn't a leaner, more protein packed or more organic source of meat than what we kill outdoors. It's awesome being with a like minded woman to help live out this lifestyle.
Old 02-26-2014, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcutter View Post
I love love love wild meat...wait...I should have said - I love love love meat. I am not racist one way or the other. WIld or domesticated, grass fed or feed lot, if it took a ride in the back of my truck from the field or the grocery store, it don't matter much to me. If I had to pick a preference, I would have to say barbecue...or pan-fried. Roasted in a pinch. Dang it, I just love meat!
I am with you on this. When I finally finish the last bit of really good game meat in my freezer I do not feel hard done by when I have to eat Alberta beef I have heard that after a steady diet of game, beef does not taste as good. I decided to give it a test. After not eating any beef since early November I bought a AAA strip loin 1 3/4 inches thick and put a nice sear on it and finished it to medium rare. Seasoned with only salt and pepper. I was told that the marbled fat might gag me. Not a chance!!!! The strip loin was DELICIOUS
Old 02-26-2014, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
This right here is whats wrong with this forum. Funny thing is that he probably thinks his post is somehow making things better...
Leave the guy alone. If you mistook your flashlight for a suppository you might be a tad grumpy too.

Pity his family and coworkers.

Lots of people imitating rectums lately.

Wow.