Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 08-19-2018, 07:45 PM
DewaldS DewaldS is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17
Default How much to rebarrel a Winchester featherweight?

I currently own a new Winchester featherweight in 270win with a 22 inch barrel. Iím wanting to get a longer barrel (24 inch) with a slightly heavier barrel contour. What are some options and how much would such a project cost? I live in southern Alberta and would need good gun smithís Name to start the process.

If anyone has experience with swapping out barrels on featherweights I would be interested in learning from you what worked and what didnít.

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-19-2018, 07:52 PM
spinningchain1 spinningchain1 is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Central Alberta West Side
Posts: 341
Default ....

Pends on the barrel brand and who is doing the work
__________________
nothing like taking 5 months off just to do some fishing, shooting and hunting
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-19-2018, 08:46 PM
Nova316 Nova316 is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Calgary
Posts: 173
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewaldS View Post
I currently own a new Winchester featherweight in 270win with a 22 inch barrel. Iím wanting to get a longer barrel (24 inch) with a slightly heavier barrel contour. What are some options and how much would such a project cost? I live in southern Alberta and would need good gun smithís Name to start the process.

If anyone has experience with swapping out barrels on featherweights I would be interested in learning from you what worked and what didnít.

Thanks
It depends on your barrel but it's around $450-500 (KS arms, Benchmark, Krieger, Hawkhill etc)
The chamber job depends on your gun Smith, Henry Remple is close to Calgary. KS arms and EM precision do awesome work. Insite arms builds tac drivers but a little more expensive than the above three.
Chambering is usually around $350-400 I wouldn't cheap out on a good gun smith tho.

So budget around $800-900 is what I usually do when I need to rechamber my match rifle.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-20-2018, 12:57 AM
Nyksta Nyksta is online now
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 956
Default

You would possibly be better off selling the barely used gun and buying the setup you want. Sounds like you wish you had the model 70 sporter which comes with a heavier than featherweight 24 inch barrel.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-20-2018, 06:13 AM
Beeman3 Beeman3 is offline
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 379
Default

How much heavier barrel? #3 or #4 contour? Be prepared to also do some stock work. Most custom barrels have a heavier shank plus you are getting a heavier contour.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-20-2018, 07:26 AM
fps plus fps plus is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 840
Default

Count on $1000
The stock is the limiting factor on how heavy the barrel
Can be
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-20-2018, 08:32 AM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 6,865
Default

When you are getting custom gunsmithing work done, you should not be worried what part of the province the gunsmith is in. That gun is going to cost no more than $30 for shipping each way regardless of where you live in the province. I know what I would be doing if I were in your shoes. I'd be picking up the phone and talking with KS Arms in Edmonton, telling them what I want, and then listening attentively as they give me their suggestion. There are others that are also good, and some have been mentioned. David Henry out of Bentley is another I would recommend equally. I've been on this board for a while. I have read basically every word on gunsmiths since I have joined. I have had stellar work done by some, and others not so much. I have listened to many, many reviews from friends who have used these two people also. No offence, but re-barreling a model 70 is child's play for a real gunsmith. However, there are lots who call themselves such, but should not be doing so. The two I have mentioned will do flawless work, and will have your gun back to you when they say they will. And, in the event something was not quite kosher, they will not jerk you around, but will make it right. That is worth a helluva lot more than the price of shipping. Consider yourself warned. Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-20-2018, 09:38 AM
WeatherbyFan65 WeatherbyFan65 is offline
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Maple Ridge,BC
Posts: 65
Default

I highly recommend a Stainless Steel Benchmark Barrel, a #2 contour is probably what your looking for or a #3 contour but no heavier than a 3, barrel will cost $600 shipped to your door from Gary&Ebony Eakin of Bighorn sales, add $125 for fluting,

labour costs will be about $500, give or take a little, I would recommend having your action/bolt face trued and squared while you have it apart.

I just built a 6mm Creedmoor on a Winchester 70 action and a #1 contour 24" SS Benchmark barrel,



Being from BC I've had rifles built by Mitch Kendal(Kamloops,BC) and Gary Flach (Langley,BC), both gunsmiths are excellent, only difference in the two is Garys turn around time may be a little quicker.
__________________
Because I just love rifles........
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-20-2018, 12:57 PM
sns2's Avatar
sns2 sns2 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: My House
Posts: 6,865
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeatherbyFan65 View Post
I highly recommend a Stainless Steel Benchmark Barrel, a #2 contour is probably what your looking for or a #3 contour but no heavier than a 3, barrel will cost $600 shipped to your door from Gary&Ebony Eakin of Bighorn sales, add $125 for fluting,

labour costs will be about $500, give or take a little, I would recommend having your action/bolt face trued and squared while you have it apart.

I just built a 6mm Creedmoor on a Winchester 70 action and a #1 contour 24" SS Benchmark barrel,



Being from BC I've had rifles built by Mitch Kendal(Kamloops,BC) and Gary Flach (Langley,BC), both gunsmiths are excellent, only difference in the two is Garys turn around time may be a little quicker.
Both Mitch and Gary have earned themselves excellent reputations.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-20-2018, 03:40 PM
shorty shorty is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 279
Default

Go with a Bob Jury Barrel and Henry Remple for the chambering and install. Henry is alot cheaper than $400 to install and chamber a barrel. I've done a couple rifles using these two and have great results. PM if you want more info,
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-20-2018, 04:30 PM
Salavee Salavee is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Parkland County, AB
Posts: 2,852
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorty View Post
Go with a Bob Jury Barrel and Henry Remple for the chambering and install. Henry is alot cheaper than $400 to install and chamber a barrel. I've done a couple rifles using these two and have great results. PM if you want more info,
Sounds like a good plan to me. We have some of the best barrel makers on the planet right here in Alberta.. and also some great gunsmiths.
__________________
When applied by competent people with the right intent, common sense goes a long way.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-20-2018, 10:03 PM
DewaldS DewaldS is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17
Default

I have thought of that but I like the fit and look of the gun enough to rather keep it and invest some work. But you are 100% right I kinda wish I had just bought a sporter.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-20-2018, 10:05 PM
DewaldS DewaldS is offline
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 17
Default

Thanks guys for all the comments and names. I’m gonna make some calls and get the ball rolling.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-21-2018, 07:58 AM
7 REM MAG 7 REM MAG is offline
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 1,109
Default

The guys at ks do awesome work, and make their own barrels, think theyíre $800 supply and install but I may be mistakenly.

Iíve got a 270 wby they did for me on a 700 action that shoots lights out and a 264 win in getting done up right now with them
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-21-2018, 01:07 PM
Double Dropper's Avatar
Double Dropper Double Dropper is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Beaver County, Alberta
Posts: 193
Default

Spoke with Mike @ KS Arms yesterday on a barrel, $800.00 and 4 weeks turnaround is pretty decent!!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-22-2018, 01:36 PM
shorty shorty is offline
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 279
Default

$800 for a barrel?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 08-22-2018, 02:11 PM
Double Dropper's Avatar
Double Dropper Double Dropper is offline
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Beaver County, Alberta
Posts: 193
Default

Chambered and installed, new barrel $800.00
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 08-22-2018, 04:38 PM
tazzy tazzy is offline
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Miramichi NB
Posts: 58
Default

JC Barrels from NB does excellent work and is also an F Class shooter himself. He makes his own barrels, rifles them and hand lap them. Prices are great too.

https://www.jccustombarrels.com/
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.