Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-19-2018, 07:09 PM

Default Aftermarket Choke Tubes for Waterfowl

What have you guys seen that works the best? Briley, Patternmaster, Kicks, Muller and others. I have been researching and it’s all over the map what people like. My friend shoots a patternmaster and it seems to work good for him. If I’m spending over a $100 I want to get something that will save me at least 6 boxes of shells over my lifetime.
Old 08-19-2018, 07:24 PM

I think this depends on the shotgun that you are putting them on. I am not sure that you see noticeable improvements on the higher end guns from their chokes to say a Briley.

I have Browning Citori's (plus others) and got a set of Briley's out of interest and for the cool factor for my GTS. Checked the patterns between the chokes that came with the gun and the Briley's --- there was no noticeable difference with the loads I use in the field. I have kept the Briley's in and for this gun when I change up for clays I go to the Briley's --- mental more than anything else.

My other shotguns I have stayed with the factory chokes.

I did experiment with a few chokes for turkey out of my 870. Very noticeable differences at 40 yards between some of these chokes.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:13 PM

I run the Pattern Master Code Black for geese with Winchester Super-X-3"-BBs in my Beretta. Would rather pay $100 for a good choke that lets me use cheaper ammo, than drop $45/ box for the high-end ammo. 4-5 boxes a week of these add up quick.

Cuts right down on the cripples, no chasing when you should be shooting.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:28 PM

I use a standard Briley extended LM choke in my waterfowl gun, and I generally shoot Kent Fasteel loads. I get good patterns with this combination, so I don't need specialty chokes or ammunition. If you place the pattern properly, neither the choke brand/type or the ammunition is a huge factor.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:42 PM

This fall, I will also use a Briley Extended Light Mod in my waterfowl gun.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:10 PM

Tried allot of tubes. My personal favourite is trulock chokes in a skeet II tube for waterfowl
Old 08-20-2018, 07:07 AM

If you are looking for a huge improvement over factory chokes, you may be disappointed, while some chokes do better with some loads, in many cases you won't notice a huge difference in patterns with most loads. What I did learn from patterning steel, is that trying to use too tight of a choke resulted in the patterns not being as even. Also be aware that there are multiple ratings systems that can be confusing. The standard system is for lead shot, some manufacturers use ratings based on steel shot, and others like Muller use numbers instead of IC,Mod, Full, etc. As well, the load you choose can change the pattern, as the wads and velocities can have a huge effect on the pattern. It comes down to testing chokes in your gun, with your chosen load, to determine which choke will work best for you. And regardless of which choke you choose, the most important factor by far, is placing the pattern properly, and that is where most hunters are lacking. We always have several hunters come out to shoot skeet with us at this time of year, to tune up before the season, and many of them are surprised at how often they miss. Spending money on higher priced chokes and ammunition won't help, if you are shooting feet behind the birds. The good thing, is that seeing where you are shooting, usually results in the shooter being able to improve his shooting significantly in a short time.
Old 08-20-2018, 07:59 AM

I have a patternmaster code black goose. Research tells me it does not use constriction and may not produce a tighter pattern. What it will do is tighten up your shot string, from 15’ to 4’ possibly. With the use of studs pausing the wad travel. An overlooked thought is length of of your shot string. You may not see a better pattern but hopefully you have more shot hitting the bird at once, rather then shot hitting 10’ late.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:37 AM

I bought a Benelli that came with a Patternmaster Optima Extended Range choke and well as the factory ones. The patternmaster will put 80% of the shot in a thirty inch circle at 40 yards. None of the factory chokes will do that. When you shoot a bird they look like they ran into a brick wall. I see a distinct improvement in shot on target with it. Pay attention when buying their chokes. Classic are designed for regular wads, Black Cloud etc are designed for ammo with controlled release wads. The Classic and Optima series make cheap ammo shoot great.

https://www.patternmaster.com/produc...a_Plus_Classic
12ga Benelli Crio/Beretta Optima Plus Classic Extended Range
Patternmaster's EXTENDED RANGE tubes extend out the end of your barrel 1 1/2 inches and has an effective range out to 70 yards. The difference between the Patternmaster EXTENDED RANGE and Patternmaster LONG RANGE is the length the tube sticks out the barrel. (Long=1 inch vs. Extended =1 ½ inches) The added length is to accommodate a 3 ½ inch shell and still achieve a Full pattern. You will see a patterns similar to a Full constriction choke on paper with a 2 ¾ or 3 or 3 ½ inch shell, but because of the patented "stud ring" inside the tube, there is a much shorter shot string. This shorter shot string will allow more shot on target all at once so your down range energy is sure to kill instead of cripple. Pick your favorite shot size to use which can range from 8 to BB Non-Toxic/Steel and Lead 8 to 000 Buck. EXTENDED RANGE tubes are available in Black Ported or Unported, and Silver Ported. Patternmaster tubes are made of Carpenter Custom 630 (aircraft quality) 17-4ph stainless steel and are heat treated to the optimum level for best performance.

Note: Testing done by Ballistics Performance has determined that ammunition with velocity of 1550fps and below will achieve the best results with the Patternmaster Classic and the Code Black Tubes.

Not for use with ammunition containing flight control wad or slug ammunition.

Patternmaster’s 12ga Benelli Crio/Beretta Optima Plus will interchange with Benelli Super Black Eagle II, M2, Ultra Light, and Current Benelli Production Sport II, Super Sport, Cordoba, and Montefeltro; Beretta A391 Extrema II, Vinci, and Super Vinci; and Tri Star 3 ½ (current production); just to name a few. For more information about your shotgun interchange please see the firearm owner’s manual or contact the firearm manufacturer.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
Tried allot of tubes. My personal favourite is trulock chokes in a skeet II tube for waterfowl
X2
Old 08-20-2018, 02:00 PM

I ordered a Trulock. Hopefully it gets here before the seasons over. Probably will grab a patternmaster yet too.