Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 12-15-2012, 06:41 PM

I am a huge fan of the TFO setups if you are buying your first outfit. The 5/6 wt with reel and line are fantastic.

They also come with the unconditional lifetime warranty, in case no one mentioned that...

No matter how you break it, they will give you a new section (identical to the part you broke) for about 35$ (processing fee). You can cash in on the warranty in Calgary as they have a small warehouse here in town- No need to send the broken rod out!

my two cents.

-J
Old 12-15-2012, 06:42 PM

-Oh, and I looked at the setups in Fish Tales fly shop today for 230$.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justbyfaith View Post
I am a huge fan of the TFO setups if you are buying your first outfit. The 5/6 wt with reel and line are fantastic.

They also come with the unconditional lifetime warranty, in case no one mentioned that...

No matter how you break it, they will give you a new section (identical to the part you broke) for about 35$ (processing fee). You can cash in on the warranty in Calgary as they have a small warehouse here in town- No need to send the broken rod out!

my two cents.

-J
I am a big fan of TFO as a starter package as well. Please realize that there is no warranty and that they sell you a part for $35 if you break it or just simply walk in and purchase.

A rod portion made off shore with the cheapest components available probably cost the company $10 or less.

But still the Signature Series is a nice rod and a very nice price. It gets you out on the water and allows you to discover what you do and don't want in a fly rod. The rod can then be sold with very little lost especially if you buy the set up used.

I would warn against purchasing any higher end rods until you find out the type of fishing you like to do and the action that best suits your casting style.

Winston, Redington and even Sage have some starter models that should be considered before making a purchase. I have a couple of Redington rods and the components are superior to the other offerings in their price range. One of my favorite rods is an RS4 4wt that I would put up against rods costing 3 times as much.
Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 AM

Check that...

The entire rod blank (made off shore) is about $10 - $12!! No matter what the brand!!
Old 12-19-2012, 10:23 AM

I've replaced sections of my rod twice at the TFO warehouse off Blackfoot Trail.........
Old 12-19-2012, 12:02 PM

Quote:
I've replaced sections of my rod twice at the TFO warehouse off Blackfoot Trail.........
They replaced your sections for no charge at the warehouse off Blackfoot Trail?
Old 12-19-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
They replaced your sections for no charge at the warehouse off Blackfoot Trail?
It costed 35$ the second time, the first time it was 28$ before they raised the cost.
Old 12-19-2012, 08:35 PM

Quote:
It costed 35$ the second time, the first time it was 28$ before they raised the cost.
Then you received no warranty. Sportsman's Den in Red Deer had a few rod sections (tips for the 2 piece Signature Series) for the same price.

They simply allowed you to buy a part that probably cost the company less than $10 with the components used. No favors or warranty involved.

Don't get me wrong, I am not bashing TFO and do not want to argue with you. I am simply telling you that they are selling components (this is a good thing) not warranting faulty components. You paid full price and got only what you paid for.

I have three TFOs in the basement and strongly recommend them for beginners. They have a nice forgiving action and won't break your heart if you hit them with bead heads and streamers.

If you take your time and try several of the same rods you will find some are better than others by how the eyes are put on the blank. Every blank has a sweet spot where it flexes and if the eyes are wrapped properly it makes a world of difference.

I believe there are other options that should be investigated in this price range. Like I mentioned earlier, the components on the Redingtons are better quality and the rods are faster if you prefer that action. I also believe the Redingtons are put together with more care given to the flex of the blank.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:28 AM

3809-9st SE for the warehouse.
http://www.springbrook.ca

Please do your research before you give advice on the forum.

Thanks.