Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-14-2013, 10:14 AM

Default New to fly fishing, love it but need pointers!

Well i bought my first fly rod yesterday, went to the Canyon ski hill in red deer and hiked down to the river, caught one goldeye.

I love fishing, but ive only done it for a few years with a spin rod and spoons ect.
I really dont know much at all about what the fish eat and when there on there runs or anything. I was hoping someone could shed a little light on it for me

Where are good spots for begginers?
What kind of fish is there and what should i use for flys?
I would love to snag brown trout from the red deer but i heard they are picky.

Anywhere within 30 mins of red deer

Thanks guys
Old 08-14-2013, 11:57 AM
Banned

Go to the river and locate the sign that says beginner flyfishing area only.

Your question is a lil vague.
So not sure what you really want.

You'll need to start doing some online or book reading.
Old 08-14-2013, 12:47 PM

Really the best way for a beginner to learn the tricks of the trade is to use google and youtube. I never had anyone to teach me and I spent my entire first year without bringing in a fish so you're already doin not bad. Once I started targeting specific fish and using the internet to teach me about them in the area I was fishing I started to get success. If you can fish with someone who knows what they are doin then that helps but you can find all the answers you need online. Alberta fishing guide is great. Anything by Berry Mitchell. Is a good read. Good luck. On a fly a wonderfully fun way to catch fish
Old 08-14-2013, 01:42 PM

Well i was just hoping a few guys would say hey go to this pond use this fly or a nice spot on the river where theres not a tonne of trees and what not, im asking where to fish, and what kind of flies for a few different kinds of fish thats all.
Old 08-14-2013, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmonks91 View Post
Well i was just hoping a few guys would say hey go to this pond use this fly or a nice spot on the river where theres not a tonne of trees and what not, im asking where to fish, and what kind of flies for a few different kinds of fish thats all.
Most guys won't tell you the good spots because the good ones are hard to find an they rightfully discovered them. Get out ad hike. You will be surprised how much fun it actually is discovering new waters and being outside by the water. Who knows maybe you will find your own honey hole. As for what flies to use, match the hatch. Hit up a fly shop around where you live and get them to show you a hatch chart and buy some flies off them. Goldeye will take dries and nymphs but you can also hook them on minnow and leeches like clousers or wolly buggers. If you use the leech and minnow patterns I belive there are walleye and pike in the red deer that you will hook into as well
Old 08-14-2013, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmonks91 View Post
bower pond boat launch area. it is a slow stretch of water that holds lots of different kinds of fish. great place for a starter to practice. should be chalked full of goldeye now,the water is still a bit murky tho.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:23 AM

Hey guys i really appreciate the feedback, I have fished every evening since I got my fly rod, I've only caught goldeye so far, and I've tried all different places on the river.

I'm using 9ft 5lb tapered leaders and trying dry flies, I'd like to drop a nymph off my dry but even using my dry flies they are sinking, I'm using elk hair caddis, parachute Adams. The only ones to stay floating are my foamy grass hoppers.
I tried dropping a nymph off an indicator but then the fish were rising like crazy for my indicator and ignoring the nymph!

Am I using too thick of a leader?

I don't have waders either just rubber boots so its hard to get to thE good spots I see.
Old 08-18-2013, 10:58 AM

Hope you are enjoying the rod. The water is not that cold right now, grab an old pair of runners and do a little wet wading.

I know you would like specifics on what to use and where to go but it really would be counter productive to your enjoyment of fly fishing.

Google Earth is an excellent tool for finding fish. Just study rivers you know produce and when you see a spot with a nice bend/right cover, go and explore it. Look for spots that will be a real pain in the butt to access and you will find fish. Walk a little farther than the other guy is all you need to do. A hungry Brown with no pressure will snap up anything that drifts over his head.

You will have some strike outs for sure but you will get to see some nice country. I hiked several miles in the heat to get to a spot that looked promising two days ago and got skunked. I did however find a dozen Ruffed Grouse and a new area that may hold a buck in the fall.

Yesterday I had a long conversation with God after battling through 2 miles of the dirtiest swamp I have ever encountered. When I reached the bank of the river I just sat there and sweat for several minutes. On the way out I missed the truck by nearly a mile and had to hike a little extra up hill just to add some insult to the injury.

It was worth it.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-18-2013, 11:02 AM

Your leader is probably fine. I would buy some tippet to add to your leaders to make your leaders last longer, it will safe you a bunch of money in the long run.

The fish may have been feeding just below the surface and not taking anything from the top.Pick up some emerging patterns and you may have more luck. Griffiths Gnats are also a decent dry fly to try as well.

I never fished the RDR ,but from what I hear there just are not too many Browns there to be caught in the Red Deer area.You may need to find another stream/river.

On another note I have never caught a goldeye before (never really targeted them either) ,so you are one up on me there.

Good luck!
Old 08-18-2013, 11:28 AM

I was out on the red deer yesterday.

The ticket was a hopper dropper rig with a San Juan worm about 2ft under the hopper. Caught about a dozen goldeye in two hours and one small brown. It was probably fifty-fifty on hook ups on either fly. Lots of fish rising for the hopper.

I did have a nice size brown rise on the hopper but I didn't set the hook properly. Buck fever I guess.

A great spot for goldeye to hide is behind the bridge pilings. Cast upstream and drift as close to them as possible. Good luck.