Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-09-2013, 12:33 PM

Default highwood/sheep river confluence

hello everybody, i am trying to check out the sheep/highwood confluence and i have never there before. now the only decent access i see is throughthe saskatoon farm! now i am not asking for anybody secret spots but can a guy go through this way or there is a better acces to the area? thanks
Old 08-09-2013, 01:00 PM

I've never been there, but I'm guessing, with my previous experience, trying to find access is not fun. I've met a lot of rude people just trying to find access to the highwood. Best of luck to you tho. Let us know how you do.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_manix View Post
hello everybody, i am trying to check out the sheep/highwood confluence and i have never there before. now the only decent access i see is throughthe saskatoon farm! now i am not asking for anybody secret spots but can a guy go through this way or there is a better acces to the area? thanks
The access is actually not on the Saskatoon farm side. You will need to enter close to Lynnwod Ranch east of Aldersyde and then swing back. The gravel road ends and turns into a haphazard dirt trail. Once there, you need to scale down a bluff to get to the river. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:37 PM

Thank you very much for this info, I can't wait to go explore down that area. I will let you know how I do.
Old 08-15-2013, 03:01 PM

Access is thru private land, dont bother
Old 08-16-2013, 12:17 AM

wow, i was planning a trip there this weekend. how close can you get there without crossing somebody's land? guess I got to go to plan B! thanks
Old 08-16-2013, 08:27 AM

You don't need to cross private land for the highwood/sheep confluence as mentioned earlier. It is the highwood/bow confluence on the west side where you have private land problems.

Also, I should mention the rivers are still dirty and the fishing probably wouldn't be worthwhile.
Old 08-16-2013, 05:29 PM

I just got back to the house and an update on the Sheep was no good. Dirty water and no action.
The lunar cycle also said this was a poor day. Next time I`ll reference the lunar calendar before I leave.

With fuel jumping to $118.9 over night made for even a worse day.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 08-16-2013, 08:12 PM

Doesn't matter what the lunar cycle is. One quick look at those rivers will tell you they are not going to fish well.

Lots of clean water, albeit still high if you know where to look.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggyJ View Post
Doesn't matter what the lunar cycle is. One quick look at those rivers will tell you they are not going to fish well.

Lots of clean water, albeit still high if you know where to look.
I am close to Balzac so I rely on the AO for regular advice and notices on the south rivers and streams; as well other useful topics.
Believe me I would love to be able to simply walk out my back door or look out my truck window to check out the water.

All said, and to reflect on the positives, it was a beautiful day and still better than sitting in my office. I had my lunch on the river bank and all was still good.

To fish another day......

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.