Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-12-2013, 03:21 PM

Default Pike/Walleye Help

So i'm fairly new to Pike and Walleye fly-fishing. Caught one pike on my first try last year, figured it'd be much easier this year but I'm wrong.

I guess i hope on catching a walleye basically by accident when trying for pike, not sure how to approach that species.

Most of the time I'm slowly stripping the fly 4-6 inches while dead drifting in the boat. And I'm always at Gull Lake.

8wt with a floating line (sink or sink tip might help, i'm sure) and mutliple fly patterns.

Any help/guidelines would be AWESOME. I've seen a few "new fly-fisher" shows but i didn't take too much away from it.
Old 08-12-2013, 06:22 PM

step 1: go to PCR

step 2: launch boat

step 3: tie on a dark clouser minnow

step 4: slow troll or cast and retrieve near the bottom in 10-20 fow

step 5: set hook and reel in small-medium walleye.

step 6: repeat step 5 until arm is tired, tie on large bright streamer for pike

step 7: catch more walleye on the pike streamer

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-12-2013, 10:48 PM

idk if this helps but i tied a little extra tippet to my 9 ft tapered leader so i had about 15ft past my floating line and tied on a backswimmer(i was tryin for perch) and low and behold i musta caught at least 20 walleye on that hook in that spot i let it sink for a good couple min and if i didnt get a bite id steadily retrieve very slow rarely did i get it back to the boat without a fish on it also leaches wooly buggers and the famous san jaun worm got my gf some nice eyes we also got some dandy perch on them same flys
Old 08-13-2013, 08:43 AM

This time of he year the fish are deeper than spring. Like the guy said go deeper and try a chartreuse colored fly, not to big. Max size #6 3x long. Down deep a flourescent chartreuse body and chartreuse marabou wing. They seam to like the movement produced by the marabou. You may have to go to a type 4 or 6 sink fly line. The Airflo fly line will probably last longer than an Rio Fly line.
Columbia old guy
Old 08-13-2013, 08:52 AM

Vary your retrieve speeds, sometimes thats all it takes
Old 08-13-2013, 09:21 AM

type 3 sinking line, yellow&red streamers.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:33 AM

Thanks guys, i'll be trying all these.

PCR (assuming Pine Coulee Res.) might be a little far to bring the boat, it's parked at Gull year round.

I know I have much to learn in all aspects of catching these fish(weather, fly, presentation, etc.) I use to think trout were hard to catch in a river, now i have to guess where these fish are hanging out in a huge lake.
Old 08-13-2013, 09:53 AM

head over to Sylvan and fish the far NW corner (15-20 FOW). More walleye, but maybe a little smaller average than Gull. I have had very good luck with big black woolybuggers/leach imitations (bead or cone heads) and a sinking line. Let it sink, drift a bit and then slowly strip (the line of course.....keep your clothes on).
Old 08-13-2013, 04:07 PM

Some good advice here.

I've had good success for walleye with sink tip (3 or 4) a fairly short leader say 5' or 6 ', large crystal buggers, #2 minnow patterns and clousers. Chartreuse and olive have been go to colors for me but some days white or yellow work as well.

For pike similar set up with white, orange, chartreuse, yellow or orange bunny leech or large minnow patterns.

Let your fly sink once you've chucked it out there and try different stripping patterns and varying speeds until you find what's working best.

Usually ( but not always) a little less action to the fly will work better for walleye than for pike depending on how fussy they happen to be where you're fishing.

If you see terns diving for minnows there is a good chance that big fishes are hanging around to eat them too.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipco View Post
If you see terns diving for minnows there is a good chance that big fishes are hanging around to eat them too.
That was my thinking last time out, they were bombing all around the boat but no strikes. Next time will be different