Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-12-2012, 10:15 PM

Default Fly tying Kits?

Looking at getting a Fly tying kit. Never have done this. Any suggestions or help would be great.
Old 06-13-2012, 12:24 AM

i would get your starter vice and tool set from wss or fishing hole, for a kit without tools shop around on ebay, theres a couple that offer materials and instructional dvds, don't go cheap, theres some real cheap junky kits on there. but there some that put the kits you see in the big box stores to shame.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:21 AM

Here's a great place to start.

Cabela's Standard Fly Tying Tool Kit

Nice thing about this compact kit is even after you refine your skills and decide you now need that $400 vise, you'll still use this compact kit for at the stream/lake tying.

If you're tying mostly for stillwaters, Phil & Brian have come up with a fantastic kit which includes step by step instructions for 30 quality patterns.

http://www.cabelas.com/fly-tying-kit...ying-kit.shtml
Old 06-13-2012, 08:27 AM

There is a starter kit on Kijiji right now (Calgary I think), for now it will be all that you need and then gather more materials as you go and upgrade when you become a more efficeint tier...

A dedicated fly shop should also sell starter (beginner) kits, some are better then others and/or at least put you into some basic gear to get you started...

I realize you are in Camrose so a trip to Edmonton or calgary would be your best bet (though places like WSP, etc. will sell them, good advise might be harder to come by, however...

There are some tying clubs as well (one in Edmonton, Northern Fly Tiers - I think and Hook and Hackle Club in Calgary) all offer great advise and can also point you in the right direction...

P
Old 06-13-2012, 11:27 AM

The Thompson or Wapsi or Stillwater kits are good to start with. You get enough variety of material to get you started gaining experience in their uses and the tools are all you really need to get you going. You are probably lucky to live a bit away from the flyshops, there is always a new material or component to try out. That is the moneypit side of it.
Old 06-13-2012, 01:49 PM

Thanks for all your advice.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:53 AM

Walmart has one for 30-40 bucks but i can only imagine its garbage although there may be a few useful things in there. I think you can get a decent one at bass pro for around 80-100 bucks as far as i recollect. At least thats where I got mine. You will also learn alot of household items work well for random things.....eg thread your bobber with dental floss.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:04 PM

Default fly tying

I have been teaching fly tying and casting for over 40 years. I recommend you do not buy a "KIT" Most have either to much junk in them of a lot of stuff you may never use. Period.. Find a small fly shop somewhere, go in and tell the fellows what you are going to fish for. Do not buy to cheap a vice as you will only be frustrated by it and that is enough to make you quit tying and you don't want that as fly tying is a life long hobby. Buy the vice and all the tools right away if you can, and you will need quite a bunch of stuff. They will tell you what fur, feathers, thread,and dubbings, etc.you will need. Stay away from the big box stores like The Fishing hole, Cabellas etc. They are basically there to sell poduct. Buy some books on fly tying.
Good Luck
Columbia Old Guy
Old 07-26-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
I have been teaching fly tying and casting for over 40 years. I recommend you do not buy a "KIT" Most have either to much junk in them of a lot of stuff you may never use. Period.. Find a small fly shop somewhere, go in and tell the fellows what you are going to fish for. Do not buy to cheap a vice as you will only be frustrated by it and that is enough to make you quit tying and you don't want that as fly tying is a life long hobby. Buy the vice and all the tools right away if you can, and you will need quite a bunch of stuff. They will tell you what fur, feathers, thread,and dubbings, etc.you will need. Stay away from the big box stores like The Fishing hole, Cabellas etc. They are basically there to sell poduct. Buy some books on fly tying.
Good Luck
Columbia Old Guy
X2
A box of things you never use is not much value. Starting out you don't need a lot of tools, A vice, Bobbin, Whip finish tool and a darning needle will do quite well to get you going. I like to set up a mirror behind the vice to let me see the back side at a glance as I go.
A lot of materials are cheaper at craft stores, like Floss , chenille etc. Hit up your hunting pals for feathers and hair. Road kill is also a good source for materials.
Old 07-27-2013, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
Good Luck
Columbia Old Guy
If you don't mind, could you recommend a couple different vices, scissors, Bobbin that you feel are good quality? Just getting started myself, thankyou.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:09 PM

buy a decent vice. even if you don't stick with it you can always sell it forthw same price. I would recommend the peak vice my self
Old 08-06-2013, 12:06 AM

I tie a lot of flies and sell most of them on ebay, which is where I would look first. I also order most of my stuff from wwdoak.com and tacklekitz.com. I tie mostly atlantic salmon flies and steel head flies but they carry all kinds of great stuff.
Old 08-08-2013, 06:48 PM

For a vise I like the Nor-Vise it is a spinning type vice very nice well worth the money.
Old 08-14-2013, 09:48 AM

Honestly bud I got a start up case for 50 bucks at fishing hole came with a Vise needle whip finish and 3 spools and lots of fly tying matieral might not be best quality but works well