Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-09-2013, 01:10 PM

Default Streamer presentation

Just wondering what you guys find works best. Do you cast upstream and strip back? Downstream and strip back? Dead drift?
I don't really fish streamers but I am looking to learn.
Old 08-09-2013, 02:05 PM

depends on the water. I'll try everything. Usually start off with an up and across cast and then let the line drag and swing it through the current (if I'm fishing a fast portion) then strip it back in when it's downstream from me. watch the end of your fly line.

instagram: @schrodo_of_the_shire
Old 08-09-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flieguy View Post
depends on the water. I'll try everything. Usually start off with an up and across cast and then let the line drag and swing it through the current (if I'm fishing a fast portion) then strip it back in when it's downstream from me. .
Yes, that's usually what I do.... so it must be wrong.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:25 PM

I quite often cast up stream and across then strip back 90 degrees to the current. I catch over 50 percent of my fish doing this. Hang onto your rod as the strike will be hard and fast. You must keep tension on the line or you will miss a lot of strikes and you won't even know it.
Columbia old guy

Last edited by Bjay; 08-10-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:36 PM

Try marabou wooly buggers, Black and olive green will work all year. I use a wooly bugger with a florescent pink or orange head in the spring. Deadly. Brass or silver bead for the rest of the year. Any small minnoe pattern. Size 4 to 10 hook 3x long. Go onto SpeyPages.com, go into the gallery and type in Barbs sculpin for a good pattern. Some of the patterns I also used were a Royal Coachman polar bear hair wing. # 6 and 8-- 3x long and Muddler Minnoes #6,8,and 10 3x long. Most of my Muddlers had gold bodies. Good luck
Columbia old guy

Last edited by Bjay; 08-10-2013 at 06:42 PM.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:41 PM
Banned

Cool

No set fast rules .I cast above lightly holding water give the presentation time to sink and start ripping . Remember streamers are for big aggressive fish fish accordingly. U tube two handed strip if there on it works like a charm .
Old 08-10-2013, 07:27 PM

Good thread

I don't think I've ever really cast downstream, maybe if there was a strong back Eddie. I cast across and up usually on a 45 but often to target a specific run or edge of a hole. Keep tension so you I can feel what's going on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
Try marabou wooly buggers, Black and olive green will work all year. I use a wooly bugger with a florescent pink or orange head in the spring. Deadly. Brass or silver bead for the rest of the year. Any small minnoe pattern. Size 4 to 10 hook 3x long. Go onto SpeyPages.com, go into the gallery and type in Barbs sculpin for a good pattern. Some of the patterns I also used were a Royal Coachman polar bear hair wing. # 6 and 8-- 3x long and Muddler Minnoes #6,8,and 10 3x long. Most of my Muddlers had gold bodies. Good luck
Columbia old guy
I pondered what a royal coachman polar bear wing was so I Tryed google but had no luck. None of my coachmen are streamers though, does it basically look like a long royal coachmen with wings made from polar bear hair?

Also what does 3X long mean? Does that just mean three times the hook length?

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:40 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
Good thread

I don't think I've ever really cast downstream, maybe if there was a strong back Eddie. I cast across and up usually on a 45 but often to target a specific run or edge of a hole. Keep tension so you I can feel what's going on.

I pondered what a royal coachman polar bear wing was so I Tryed google but had no luck. None of my coachmen are streamers though, does it basically look like a long royal coachmen with wings made from polar bear hair?

Also what does 3X long mean? Does that just mean three times the hook length?
Yes a coach man streamer is a royal coach man body with a hair wing. 3x is three times gap as a shank length.
Old 08-10-2013, 07:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish gunner View Post
Yes a coach man streamer is a royal coach man body with a hair wing. 3x is three times gap as a shank length.
Thank you sir.

Old 08-10-2013, 07:58 PM
Banned

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FisherPotch View Post
Thank you sir.
Glad to help .a coach man is a killer on creekmouths in lakes.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:39 PM

here is a good read on streamers

enjoy

David
http://midcurrent.com/techniques/str...ide-the-swing/
Old 08-10-2013, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Glad to help .a coach man is a killer on creekmouths in lakes.
Thanks, I actually caught my first Brookie on the fly on a royal coachman dry. Or at least I fished it as a dry lol

Old 08-10-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
3x is three times gap as a shank length.
Uhhh,,,, not exactly,,,, the X factor originates from mustad hook designations from "back in the day". The standard dry fly hook 94840 was 1X long,,,, the 2x long 9671 had a shank that was one hook eye longer than the 94840,,,, the 3X long 9672 hook shank was another hook eye longer than the 9671,,,, and the 4X long 79580 was a hook eye longer than the 9672.

Confusing,,, yes,,, add to this the fact there really is no standardization in hook sizes and designations between the different manufacturers.

Suffice it to say,,, when an a manufacturer designates a hook as 3X or 4X long, it will be a longer shank (typically for streamer use) than your 2X nymph hook and your 1X dry fly hook.
Old 08-11-2013, 12:40 PM

Right on with the hook sizes.
The polar bear hair has a sheen to it. I use it on lots of streamers and on some of my drys also. I fished the oldman river system for 15-20 years and found out that the rainbows and cut throat loved a long royal coachman, 2 to 3 x long, tied with polar bear wing and treated with dry fly floatent. Cast like any dry fly then at the bottom of the cast pull it back like a steamer. it was amazing how many fish would pick it up on the float. Sometimes you could watch the trout follow the floating coachman down then grab it a soon as it went under.
The same will work for a Muddler Minnoe tied with a gold body. I used a gold braid for the bodies on my Muddlers. Very seldom used silver. I believe it was called a French Braid. It made for a slightly fatter body. In grass hopper season I would tie my Muddlers with a bright yellow body. Talk about a versatile fly. I tied Dan Bailey or Don Gappen muddlers but I would add a little polar bear hair under the wing to the original pattern.
PS I always trimmed the bottom of my Muddlers flat to the hook on the bottom of the head. It helps them to sit upright in the water.I made Muddlers from small 3x # 10 to 3x #6
Hope all this info is helpful to someone
Columbia old guy
Old 08-11-2013, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjay View Post
Right on with the hook sizes.
The polar bear hair has a sheen to it. I use it on lots of streamers and on some of my drys also. I fished the oldman river system for 15-20 years and found out that the rainbows and cut throat loved a long royal coachman, 2 to 3 x long, tied with polar bear wing and treated with dry fly floatent. Cast like any dry fly then at the bottom of the cast pull it back like a steamer. it was amazing how many fish would pick it up on the float. Sometimes you could watch the trout follow the floating coachman down then grab it a soon as it went under.
The same will work for a Muddler Minnoe tied with a gold body. I used a gold braid for the bodies on my Muddlers. Very seldom used silver. I believe it was called a French Braid. It made for a slightly fatter body. In grass hopper season I would tie my Muddlers with a bright yellow body. Talk about a versatile fly. I tied Dan Bailey or Don Gappen muddlers but I would add a little polar bear hair under the wing to the original pattern.
PS I always trimmed the bottom of my Muddlers flat to the hook on the bottom of the head. It helps them to sit upright in the water.I made Muddlers from small 3x # 10 to 3x #6
Hope all this info is helpful to someone
Columbia old guy
It certainly is. Thank you sir

Old 08-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Banned

For me....streamers leave the largest area for experimentation within the boundaries of the water fished.

Up, down, across, all angles and strip at each angle.

Varied stripping speeds.

Shallow, mid, deep presentations

The possibilities are endless and all will work at some time.