Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 08-03-2013, 09:01 AM

Default Police OutPost Lake Fly Fishing

Made the trip out yesterday, hard rain all day but fishing was good with the fly rod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P8010816.JPG (37.3 KB, 292 views)
File Type: jpg P8010824.JPG (34.6 KB, 270 views)
File Type: jpg P8010826.JPG (36.8 KB, 267 views)
File Type: jpg P8020832.JPG (20.9 KB, 256 views)
File Type: jpg P8020845.JPG (13.3 KB, 241 views)
File Type: jpg P8020846.JPG (20.9 KB, 221 views)
Old 08-03-2013, 09:34 AM

Congrats on your fish.. nice bows in there, but too bad the elite made it a trophy lake, used to be a nice family campground, kids could catch lots of fish, and everyone could enjoy the day.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
Congrats on your fish.. nice bows in there, but too bad the elite made it a trophy lake, used to be a nice family campground, kids could catch lots of fish, and everyone could enjoy the day.
x2...

Not only that, but the quality of the fishery has deteriorated since it has become a trophy lake IMO. Those of you who used to fish it 10-15 years ago will know what I'm talking about.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
It's not like there aren't any other put and take lakes in south west Alberta. I'm happy that there is a "trophy lake" in the area. BTW, Police lake still has a nice family campground where kids can catch lots of fish and everyone can enjoy the day. You just can't keep a stringer full of 10" fish for the pan any more.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
It's not like there aren't any other put and take lakes in south west Alberta. I'm happy that there is a "trophy lake" in the area. BTW, Police lake still has a nice family campground where kids can catch lots of fish and everyone can enjoy the day. You just can't keep a stringer full of 10" fish for the pan any more.
10" Fish? The fish were much bigger before it was a trophy lake. Don't get me wrong, its a fun place to fish but something needs to change.. ESRD sample netted it last year and did not get 1 single fish over 50cm. Pathetic? I think so.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:21 AM

Its been almost a year and a half since it was designated as a trophy lake. Are you guys sniffing fumes? How can one single year mean 50cm+ fish all day long and 5lb+ fish?
Old 08-03-2013, 11:24 AM

Default police

Maybe the 50 cm fish are smarter than we are?
Old 08-03-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kinwahkly View Post
Maybe the 50 cm fish are smarter than we are?
They are definitely smarter than some of us..
Old 08-03-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Yes nice camp ground to enjoy, but only in the summer closed all winter and no ice fishing, closed the ranger station in winter too, . What a waste of resources. kids used to catch and keep fish.. not anymore so fewer people camping in the campground each summer.. if they wanted a trophy lake, why not set up on some prairie pot hole lake and leave the more picturesque lakes for all to enjoy.
This trophy lake decision was rushed thru by an elite group of fly fishermen without a whole bunch of public input.. kinda sneeked it in. I know as I was one to oppose this at the time.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:05 PM

Gheez just down the road is Mami lk.Open year rnd.keep your catch ,good/better campgrnd.Police used to be stocked with 100,000 fish now it get's none!.Those that would have gone into[police] have been redistrubuted to all the other put& take fisheries in that area.so what else are you going to whine about now.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Yes nice camp ground to enjoy, but only in the summer closed all winter and no ice fishing, closed the ranger station in winter too, . What a waste of resources. kids used to catch and keep fish.. not anymore so fewer people camping in the campground each summer.. if they wanted a trophy lake, why not set up on some prairie pot hole lake and leave the more picturesque lakes for all to enjoy.
This trophy lake decision was rushed thru by an elite group of fly fishermen without a whole bunch of public input.. kinda sneeked it in. I know as I was one to oppose this at the time.
There would have been opposition to any lake selected.

Room for all. Nothing stopping you, you can still go there and fish and camp.

Used to ice fish that lake when legal. Frequently had the lake to my self. On occasion had someone else there. Wasn't heavily used. More locals.

Average size is way better now.

First started fishing there almost 40 years ago.

Its changed,

for the good.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 08-03-2013, 04:53 PM

each to your own opinion... I respect yours.... pls respect mine.
Old 08-03-2013, 05:05 PM

Quote:
each to your own opinion... I respect yours.... pls respect mine.
Agree.

Old 08-03-2013, 09:06 PM

I have heard of more than a few 50cm fish, you guys that are catching them need to let your local bio. know.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-03-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I have heard of more than a few 50cm fish, you guys that are catching them need to let your local bio. know.
Agree!

Old 08-03-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhflyfisher View Post
Its been almost a year and a half since it was designated as a trophy lake. Are you guys sniffing fumes? How can one single year mean 50cm+ fish all day long and 5lb+ fish?
It has been quite a few more years then that.

I remember them changing the regs on that lake back when I first started working in the glass industry and that was 6-7 years ago.

I agree with it going down hill since being a "trophy" fishery.

Before the regs were changed there were consistent days of 18+" fish with a few small ones mixed in.
Old 08-03-2013, 09:43 PM

can anyone weigh in one what the average size is now?

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-03-2013, 09:59 PM

Quote:
can anyone weigh in one what the average size is now?
Average size is under 50cm...

In my experience around 14". Many more small ones than big ones it seems.

Can catch lots of fish, can be a lot of fun, but consider yourself lucky if you a get one or two 50+ cm.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
It has been quite a few more years then that.

I remember them changing the regs on that lake back when I first started working in the glass industry and that was 6-7 years ago.

I agree with it going down hill since being a "trophy" fishery.

Before the regs were changed there were consistent days of 18+" fish with a few small ones mixed in.
My memory must be skewed then. Perhaps i was thinking of another lake recently designated a quality fishery, and people were outraged at lack of progress. Could have sworn it was police.

Regardless, what SRD continues to do, is create quality fisheries and then do **** all about stocking rates. There is a science to growing big fish, and its pretty obvious they dont have that formula figured out when it comes to these lakes.

Last edited by Bhflyfisher; 08-03-2013 at 10:54 PM.
Old 08-03-2013, 11:21 PM

Im hearing big fish are showing up. Its bin fishing good this year from what I hear.

Old 08-03-2013, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Im hearing big fish are showing up. Its bin fishing good this year from what I hear.
I'm picking up the same thing on other boards, just wanted someone from this board to confirm. From what I heard average size is above 14"?

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-04-2013, 07:32 AM

Quote:
I'm picking up the same thing on other boards, just wanted someone from this board to confirm. From what I heard average size is above 14"?
Yes more like 17" in my case anyway. The current feeling is the area bio overestimated the stocking rates for that lake a bit and that may account for some of the slower growth rate.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
Yes more like 17" in my case anyway. The current feeling is the area bio overestimated the stocking rates for that lake a bit and that may account for some of the slower growth rate.
Not stocking for a year should help.

Bullshead has had it's scud population decimated, not sure from fish or another reason. They have cut down the stocking here as well, and the pelicans are very active. Fish seem to be doing well this year, last years stockers have really put on the weight and there are lots of fish in that 18 to 20in. mark, and a few over.

I would expect Police to be able to achieve the same with some adjustments from the bio. It did produce those fish before and there is no reason it can't now, if it doesn't I would feel it's a failure of the dept. in understanding the lake. I hope they put a little more thought and effort into it rather than throwing their hands up and saying it's not working. If need be they should go out of province for help.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-04-2013, 03:29 PM

nice pics
Old 08-05-2013, 08:24 AM

Quote:
X 2 on this!
I was there 3 times this year and all were around the 18 to 20 inch mark. I wouldnt say there were many over 20 inch but very close to 20 inch.
I may have caught 1-2 around the 14-16 inch range.

Oh and nice pics!
Old 08-08-2013, 11:28 PM

100% agree AB needs more trophy lakes. Put and take has its place but we shouldn't have to go out of province for the opportunity to catch big fish.
Old 08-09-2013, 07:36 AM

when the regional rnd tbl.mtg;s come to your area's .please make an effort to attend these,let the srd staff no your opinions on qual.lks.if you can't make a mtg. send them a quick note,expressing your concerns.there were only 5-6 trout guys at the prov.rnd tbl.mtg last spring,i am getting lonely... a note of to your mla won;t hurt...
Old 08-10-2013, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
when the regional rnd tbl.mtg;s come to your area's .please make an effort to attend these,let the srd staff no your opinions on qual.lks.if you can't make a mtg. send them a quick note,expressing your concerns.there were only 5-6 trout guys at the prov.rnd tbl.mtg last spring,i am getting lonely... a note of to your mla won;t hurt...

But that would mean the arm chair crowd on here would have to get out of there chair and get involved... instead of just whining and complaining after the fact, when they don't like it that something has changed!

Police still has a nice family campground and kids can still catch fish, many fish! I don't understand why you guys think that you have lost something? You can still keep fish it just has to be big enough, and they are in there! Fish in there now are just as big as they always were, granted I have only been fishing it for 20 years now and not 40 like some of you guys. But in the time I have, I would say that average size has gotten bigger. I guess if you don't like it then go somewhere else that you can keep a whole bunch of 12" fish and leave the nice ones at Police and Bullshead for the rest of us.
Old 08-10-2013, 06:24 PM

x100
Old 08-10-2013, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes_G View Post
But that would mean the arm chair crowd on here would have to get out of there chair and get involved... instead of just whining and complaining after the fact, when they don't like it that something has changed!

Police still has a nice family campground and kids can still catch fish, many fish! I don't understand why you guys think that you have lost something? You can still keep fish it just has to be big enough, and they are in there! Fish in there now are just as big as they always were, granted I have only been fishing it for 20 years now and not 40 like some of you guys. But in the time I have, I would say that average size has gotten bigger. I guess if you don't like it then go somewhere else that you can keep a whole bunch of 12" fish and leave the nice ones at Police and Bullshead for the rest of us.
Agree and well said Wes.