Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-22-2018, 08:56 PM

Default Finally got on bearspaw

Been meaning to get out on the reservoir for 2 years and I finally did. Just a short 1.5hr trip but caught 2 nice rainbows. Tried trolling for a little while but the depth changes drastically all the time. I was at the opposite end as the dam so maybe it’s more consistent closer to the dam. I know there aren’t a lot of people that are able to get out there with a boat but maybe someone on here has experience with lake trout in the reservoir. What do you do to get them. Or is there not enough of them in there to bother.
Old 07-23-2018, 09:24 AM

Have not been able to put a boat on Bearspaw for years now cause the community has blocked access for the general public. But if your able somehow it is worth going for the lake trout. They are big in there. Last time we got out and this was years and years ago before the community was fully developed we were catching the lakers over 4 lbs easy. and the rainbows were like little footballs 2-5 lb plus. Wish I could get access again. Maybe we should push for no motors allowed!!!!!!!ya right too much money out there. us inner city dwellers have no say lol
Old 07-23-2018, 09:32 AM

It should not remain a private lake for the "fat cats" ... the GoA should have public access for all bodies of water ... I moved away, but i thought there would be access from the new provincial park that was going in .... you can access it by jet boat from Cochrane

...Eat the Rich ...
Old 07-23-2018, 01:36 PM

There should be access as some point, the City has 2 plots of land that will eventually be parks. One should have been finished last year, but there is a bunch of legal stuff got in the way. But best case the access will be like it is for Glenmore, no power boats, no ice fishing.

One of the big issue the last I heard form a buddy on the project is that someone wants to make a power boat marina with a gas pump on the water. Needless to say the city does not want that since once gas gets in to the drinking water they can’t easily get it out, if at all.

As I understand it the fish surveys are off the charts.
Old 07-23-2018, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
I know there aren’t a lot of people that are able to get out there with a boat but maybe someone on here has experience with lake trout in the reservoir. What do you do to get them. Or is there not enough of them in there to bother.
Couldn’t tell you. Don’t own a jetboat or a multi-million dollar property in the area..
Old 07-23-2018, 10:34 PM
Banned

I have access.. And access to a friends boat who lives on the lake.. Is it worth it to go fishing? What can a guy expect?
Old 07-24-2018, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
There should be access as some point, the City has 2 plots of land that will eventually be parks. One should have been finished last year, but there is a bunch of legal stuff got in the way. But best case the access will be like it is for Glenmore, no power boats, no ice fishing.

One of the big issue the last I heard form a buddy on the project is that someone wants to make a power boat marina with a gas pump on the water. Needless to say the city does not want that since once gas gets in to the drinking water they can’t easily get it out, if at all.

As I understand it the fish surveys are off the charts.
lol.

Have you looked at the surveys?

Last ones were from the 1960's, and they were pretty poor.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
I have access.. And access to a friends boat who lives on the lake.. Is it worth it to go fishing? What can a guy expect?
You can expect to catch a couple rainbows in a day of fishing. Too big to keep as they musty be under 35cm, and too small to brag about.

It's a deeply unhealthy fishery due to the constant fluctuations in water levels in the river upstream making it almost impossible for fish to spawn successfully.

I take the canoe there for the bird watching.
Old 07-24-2018, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbless View Post
Have not been able to put a boat on Bearspaw for years now cause the community has blocked access for the general public. But if your able somehow it is worth going for the lake trout. They are big in there. Last time we got out and this was years and years ago before the community was fully developed we were catching the lakers over 4 lbs easy. and the rainbows were like little footballs 2-5 lb plus. Wish I could get access again. Maybe we should push for no motors allowed!!!!!!!ya right too much money out there. us inner city dwellers have no say lol
Oh yeah hahahahah

Got any pics?
Old 08-02-2018, 08:45 PM

The past couple of years i fished it, ive caught quite a few browns and rainbows. even a few lake trout on a big lenthompson spoon. that was all from the dam, and north shore. i talked to one of the locals boating and they were using a downrigger with a small spoon and caught lots of lakers, nothing too big though. mainly around the 12-18 inch size.
Old 08-03-2018, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooner View Post
lol.

Have you looked at the surveys?

Last ones were from the 1960's, and they were pretty poor.
A buddy who fishes saw the current ones
Old 08-04-2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aulrich View Post
A buddy who fishes saw the current ones
There aren't any modern ones.

Would love to talk to your buddy.