Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 03:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I can put 5 inside a loonie at 100yds with my 17 HMR, so being basically a sniper with this gun, I think I should be allowed to use it for CP2 and CP3 game animals.

I'll only take headshots at 100 yds and under....I promise....because... I'm a 17 machine. 150 fpe at 50 yds be damned. More than enough to put the smack down.

It's all about ME and I would like to use my 17 HMR for everything. That way I can sell all my other rifles, buy cheap ammo, and I'm betting I can get down to 5 inside a dime if I practise with it enough. TYVM.

P.S. I think I should be able to use it for waterfowl as well.
All good points. Don't forget the super short action so you don't have to expend as much energy working it.

Since we're tailor making hunting rules and regulations to suit ourselves. I think that because I'm a poor shot with my 410 that when I'm goose hunting I should have 30 rnd clip for it.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
I applaud your passion for the sport as well as trying to give info on capabilities of your enjoyment with your 223. In the right hands in the right circumstances it will kill. But the regulations are designed to control the general population's activities. I disagree that 223 would be effective on a regular basis by the more general population of people who want to get out for their 1 or 2 days of being involved in the sport and go be "hunters" so they can go back to their other lifestyle and brag about their amazingness to their non-hunter friends. A skilled trained person who loves the hobby and spends a large number of days every year would be better at deciding the right situation where 223 capabilities are appropriate, but average guy would not. That is why the regulations require more powerful cartridges for big game hunting.
I think if the 223 were allowed you'd find the opposite. Most hunters with limited experience would opt for the biggest baddest gun they could find, while those with more experience would opt for the smaller cartridges. I'd be willing to bet in areas where the native populations still hunt for most of their meat that the 223 is one of the most popular cartridges used today.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
I can put 5 inside a loonie at 100yds with my 17 HMR, so being basically a sniper with this gun, I think I should be allowed to use it for CP2 and CP3 game animals.

I'll only take headshots at 100 yds and under....I promise....because... I'm a 17 machine. 150 fpe at 50 yds be damned. More than enough to put the smack down.

It's all about ME and I would like to use my 17 HMR for everything. That way I can sell all my other rifles, buy cheap ammo, and I'm betting I can get down to 5 inside a dime if I practise with it enough. TYVM.

P.S. I think I should be able to use it for waterfowl as well.
It is sarcastic like this that I get disgusted with these threads .
What an immature attempt at humour in the middle of a serious thread
Cat
Old 07-21-2018, 03:58 PM

As hunters and sportsmen we owe it to the animals we kill to make sure we do so in a humane and sportsman like way as possible . Light calibers that inherently "explode" or disintegrate on impact. Do not typically achieve solid one shot kills. If you are hunting please use your sense of fair play and make sure you apply it to the animal you are intending to dispatch. Some one once told me that good hunters don,t shooter farther, THEY GET CLOSER.
Use enough rifle to get the job done!!
Old 07-21-2018, 04:00 PM

hear,hear!!!
Old 07-21-2018, 04:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
What an immature attempt at humour .
Cat
I must confess that I'm guilty of being a sarcastic ass too Cat. It just makes me wonder what exactly chucks agenda is? Is it to show that a 223 is a capable big game round or is it to show case his daughter and how capable she is with a 223. My speculation is the later. Only my speculation and I will not speak for other members.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponokajoe View Post
As hunters and sportsmen we owe it to the animals we kill to make sure we do so in a humane and sportsman like way as possible . Light calibers that inherently "explode" or disintegrate on impact. Do not typically achieve solid one shot kills. If you are hunting please use your sense of fair play and make sure you apply it to the animal you are intending to dispatch. Some one once told me that good hunters don,t shooter farther, THEY GET CLOSER.
Use enough rifle to get the job done!!
It's the bullet that explode or disintegrate on impact, caliber has nothing to do with that.

I agree with the rest of your post.
Old 07-21-2018, 04:02 PM

sorry, hear hear cat!!
Old 07-21-2018, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I must confess that I'm guilty of being a sarcastic ass too Cat. It just makes me wonder what exactly chucks agenda is? Is it to show that a 223 is a capable big game round or is it to show case his daughter and how capable she is with a 223. My speculation is the later. Only my speculation and I will not speak for other members.
Do you see my daughter anywhere in this thread?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-21-2018, 04:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Do you see my daughter anywhere in this thread?
I looked. She's not here. I was referring to volume 1 of the life according to Chuck saga
Old 07-21-2018, 05:06 PM

Quote:
I looked. She's not here. I was referring to volume 1 of the life according to Chuck saga
Page two and the personal insults have started again from you.

-Billy Molls
Old 07-21-2018, 05:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
Page two and the personal insults have started again from you.
Take a breath chuck. Grow a thicker hide. If I had any intention of insulting you I certainly would.

223=no
Old 07-21-2018, 05:20 PM

Is there a rule or a regulation about use of .223 for hunting big game in AB?
Old 07-21-2018, 05:23 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daka View Post
Lol yes not allowed hence the pages of talking about why it's not allowed also in the regulations
Old 07-21-2018, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Yes, you must use 23cal or larger for big game. 223 is only 22cal.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:30 PM

Chuck I have no doubt in my mind that your a decent person,seems you care a lot for your children and want them to learn as much as possible about hunting and shooting ,plus wanting them be good adult's so this goes a long way in my book as the type of person you are,so all the power to you as father.

I also think that your passion for hunting is much greater than 95 percent on this forum because you never back off on anything that comes your way right or wrong.

Back to thread about the 223,yes it can kill very well in the right hands and for certain game at the right range it will do the job and I hunt where it is legal and very few guys use them.If you read many threads on what should be my first rifle ,most would not say the 223.If they would let it be legal I think deer wouldn't be a bad choice.So where does one draw the line on what it's used on and is it in capable hands.Very few put in trigger time like you do and can stay calm when they see there trophy of any size.

As for food hunters up north even less,there are few roads ,so shooting from a boat they use much larger cartridges on larger rivers or lakes.Boats are there main means of transports or snow machines in the winter and many just love the 303 british,but they have access to cabelas on the internet and many use larger calibers and stick with popular cartridges for buying ammo or getting extra from there neighbor.

Most night hunters in our area use a 223 for it isn't as loud as most larger cartridges and this is for every hunter white or FN'S,so if they fit in the poacher category ,this is there weapon of choice hands down.

I you feel the urge to go kill with the 223 there are non res Canadian tags,so this may be an option.

As for guys that need a bigger cartridge because of there limited knowledge on there shooting capabilities is nonsense.I thing hunting skills and shooting skills along with the love for the outdoors is what makes a hunter and which ever tool you choose to accomplish your goal is totally up to that one person,not because joe blow says it's the right one.Eveyone in life wears there own kind of hat,plain and simple.If we were all like sheep the world would be very boring.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:37 PM

Quote:

Since we're tailor making hunting rules and regulations to suit ourselves. I think that because I'm a poor shot with my 410 that when I'm goose hunting I should have 30 rnd clip for it.

You use a .410 on geese? Geez man. Serious overkill.

Get some of those #12 peppershot .22's and whale away with your semi auto. Recoil's miniscule so you'll be a far better hunter.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:39 PM
Banned

Is the rumour true about the military using the 223 because it is better to wound the enemy soldier then kill him outright?

If this is the rule of thumb for shooting a 200lb enemy soldier then wouldn't the same hold true for a 200lb whitetail or a bigger animal like moose or elk?
Old 07-21-2018, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
What an immature attempt at humour in the middle of a serious thread
Cat

How many serious posts are required on the merits of the .223 so Chucks kid can go hunting? Wasn't it pretty much beat to death in the previous 5 pages?
Old 07-21-2018, 05:42 PM

Quote:

Haha. Excellent.
Old 07-21-2018, 05:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Is the rumour true about the military using the 223 because it is better to wound the enemy soldier then kill him outright?

If this is the rule of thumb for shooting a 200lb enemy soldier then wouldn't the same hold true for a 200lb whitetail or a bigger animal like moose or elk?
Cup and core or hollow point mono?
Old 07-21-2018, 05:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
You choose.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:10 PM

Keep going everyone make it to three pages and a new thread will start again What has anyone gained ! oh yeah everyone knows betterlol
Old 07-21-2018, 06:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you think it'll make a difference to the hunters that'll buy the norinco t97 multi purpose hunting/target/noise maker rifle with a tasco red dot? Who am I kidding. They'll be using the 55gr American eagle fmj that's on sale at a cabelas and shootėng them at the booner flat head they see at 500 yds.

223 is a poor choice for a big game hunting round imo
Old 07-21-2018, 06:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Do you think it'll make a difference to the hunters that'll buy the norinco t97 multi purpose hunting/target/noise maker rifle with a tasco red dot? Who am I kidding. They'll be using the 55gr American eagle fmj that's on sale at a cabelas and shootėng them at the booner flat head they see at 500 yds.

223 is a poor choice for a big game hunting round imo
I agree to a point that the 223 isn't the best choice for a big game cartridge, and it wouldn't be my first choice, but when used within its limits and with proper bullet selection, I also know it'll kill quite easily. Bullet selection, shot placement and used within practical ranges and I see no problem with it being used as a big game cartridge, all things I'm sure Chuck is teaching his kids.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree to a point that the 223 isn't the best choice for a big game cartridge, and it wouldn't be my first choice, but when used within its limits and with proper bullet selection, I also know it'll kill quite easily. Bullet selection, shot placement and used within practical ranges and I see no problem with it being used as a big game cartridge, all things I'm sure Chuck is teaching his kids.
I agree but chuck isn't teaching all the kids young and old. A line has to be drawn some where. In bc anything center fire is legal for big game hunting with the only restriction being when hunting bison. So technically you could hunt with a 17 hornet or even better yet build a rifle that'll shoot 7.62x39. Just because it is legal doesn't make it a good idea. I do believe that chucks daughter is capable with a 223 and do believe chuck knows the limitations of the 223 but chuck and his daughter are one very small fraction in the hunting community.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:42 PM

I think it is noble that Chuck would like his kids to join in on the shooting sports.

Lots of Moms and Dads might enjoy this. Scroll to the top.

Best low recoil load for 243 for my son? https://utahwildlife.net/forum/showthread.php?t=37532

Options getting there even with a 243 pet load.

https://www.remington.com/ammunition...managed-recoil

When the young Gal is ready to hunt big game, she will be ready to go and well equipped.

https://youtu.be/PAsDPzCSqT8

A proper built rifle to fit the kids, lite gr bullet with pet load of powder, and some shooting time with the hero in her life.

Yes, options, much like my friend Lee the Father of 3 boys and 1 girl.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 07-21-2018 at 06:49 PM.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:46 PM
Banned

Quote:
I agree but chuck isn't teaching all the kids young and old. A line has to be drawn some where. In bc anything center fire is legal for big game hunting with the only restriction being when hunting bison. So technically you could hunt with a 17 hornet or even better yet build a rifle that'll shoot 7.62x39. Just because it is legal doesn't make it a good idea. I do believe that chucks daughter is capable with a 223 and do believe chuck knows the limitations of the 223 but chuck and his daughter are one very small fraction in the hunting community.
I haven't looked into the stats, but is there an abundance or wounded animals in bc that have been shot with a 223? Is there even an abundance of hunters using a 223 in bc just because its legal? Honest questions that someone with experience in an area where the 223 is legal could hopefully answer. Even Fordtruckin could probably answer that seeing show they are legal in his neck of the woods.
Old 07-21-2018, 06:55 PM
Banned

Quote:
I haven't looked into the stats, but is there an abundance or wounded animals in bc that have been shot with a 223? Is there even an abundance of hunters using a 223 in bc just because its legal? Honest questions that someone with experience in an area where the 223 is legal could hopefully answer. Even Fordtruckin could probably answer that seeing show they are legal in his neck of the woods.
Out of the dozen or so bc resident hunters I know, none use a 223.
I don't know if one could ever find a stat for how animals are shot with a 223 and never recovered. It is one of those things that many aren't forthcoming with I would think.
Old 07-21-2018, 07:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Out of the dozen or so bc resident hunters I know, none use a 223.
I don't know if one could ever find a stat for how animals are shot with a 223 and never recovered. It is one of those things that many aren't forthcoming with I would think.
I don't think there would be a copious amount of hunters using a 223 in Alberta if it was allowed either. I think those that used them would be using them for a good reason.
Closed Thread