Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-18-2016, 09:17 PM

Default Could this work in Alberta?

So I'm vacationing in Southern California and I bring my rods with me, just in case.
I heard there was a lake 15 minutes away from where I am that holds a disputed world record for large mouth bass. It's called Dixon lake.
The wife and I decide to go down and check it out..it's a Sunday and the place is packed.
It costs 5 bucks per carload to enter the park and 7 bucks for a daily fishing permit. And not only is it loaded with bucket mouths, it's stocked every 3 months with huge rainbows, trucked in from Wyoming or Montana. I'm talking 10 pounders here folks.
Now here's the kicker. The lake is about the size of hasse and is run on a profit basis by the city of Escondido.. It's open 365 days a year daily from 7am to 5pm, depending on the time of year. Everyone who fishes must pay the 7 bucks, even seniors...you can rent rods and boats with electric motors for something like 35 dollars/day.
When I talked to one of the local rangers employed by the city, he told me the lake makes a huge profit for the city, even after paying for upkeep, salaries of a dozen or so "rangers", fish stocking and all the rest. When it closes at night there are guards on duty to make sure everyone stays out. he told me they have virtually no vandalism because for the most part the people who visit the park (and the lake) police themselves. Something about pride of ownership.
All the fish caught can be kept and in fact the anglers are encouraged to bring their catch to the park office for weighing, measuring and pics.
So here's my question.
What if, let's say, Parkland County took ownership of Hasse and turned it into a for profit park...not just for fishing, but for day use picnics complete with water slides, swings, ball parks, etc.
Let's say they hire workers to act as ambassadors and "rangers", and charged "X" dollars for people to enter the park and "X" dollars for anglers to fish, either from, strategically placed piers around the out side perimeter of the lake, accessible by vehicle, including one with a boat house where you could rent a 12 footer with or without an electric motor, or from shore.
Would Albertans(edmontonians in this case) be willing to shell out this kind of money for a legitimate shot at a 10 pound rainbow, or maybe a 40 inch pike or a pailfull of jumbo perch?
This lake I am talking about, Dixon lake, is a perfect example of how a community can give it's residents something they really want and make a profit from it at the same time... a perfect win-win.
To learn more, google "Dixon lake, California and you can check it out yourselves.
I just don't know if such a model would work for us, what do you think?
Old 01-18-2016, 09:19 PM

Alberta already has something similar.

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$departm...sf/all/div8716

Called U-fish operations.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 01-18-2016, 11:09 PM

The difference being that all those are private enterprise, Dixon lake is municipally owned and publicly funded
Old 01-18-2016, 11:44 PM

great subject. firstly after looking at fish pics from the lake, I would say the bass are eating the trout and the trout are eating the bass.

it would be great for lakes close to big cities like chain lakes south,, all trout species added (flame suit on) including the tiger trout.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:15 AM

I lived in Southern California for 10 years, never fished a pay to fish lake once. The idea was repulsive to me. They stock the trout from catch able size all the way up to 20 pounds or more (THE TROUT DO NOT GROW TO THIS SIZE IN THE LAKE, LUCKY TO LAST A FEW DAYS AFTER STOCKING). Catching tank raised fish the second after they are dumped into a lake does not seem like sport to me. Fishing these overcrowded urban fisheries is also not appealing to me. When I first moved there I was shocked by the monster trout pictures... then I realized they were just fishing in a barrel. If you want to catch a 10 pound trout in a barrel with deformed fins and ate fish food its whole life go for it. But this is not angling in my opinion.

It is well known that bass in California grow to huge proportions in part due to the heavy stocking of tank raised trout. They're as dumb as ever and swim right into the bass mouth, haha.

No self respecting Alberta Angler would ever step foot in one of those cesspools.

Leave what few bodies of water in Alberta as public and accessible fisheries. Take a trip to California if you need to catch tank raised fish, haha. We don't need that type of fishing here.

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-19-2016, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonkop View Post
I lived in Southern California for 10 years, never fished a pay to fish lake once. The idea was repulsive to me. They stock the trout from catch able size all the way up to 20 pounds or more (THE TROUT DO NOT GROW TO THIS SIZE IN THE LAKE, LUCKY TO LAST A FEW DAYS AFTER STOCKING). Catching tank raised fish the second after they are dumped into a lake does not seem like sport to me. Fishing these overcrowded urban fisheries is also not appealing to me. When I first moved there I was shocked by the monster trout pictures... then I realized they were just fishing in a barrel. If you want to catch a 10 pound trout in a barrel with deformed fins and ate fish food its whole life go for it. But this is not angling in my opinion.

It is well known that bass in California grow to huge proportions in part due to the heavy stocking of tank raised trout. They're as dumb as ever and swim right into the bass mouth, haha.

No self respecting Alberta Angler would ever step foot in one of those cesspools.

Leave what few bodies of water in Alberta as public and accessible fisheries. Take a trip to California if you need to catch tank raised fish, haha. We don't need that type of fishing here.
X2. Fake fishing. No thanks. I don't fish stocked trout pothole lakes either. Haven't for 20 years. The idea of fish coming from a hatchery, brought by a water truck, and dumped into a waterbody and hooking one doesn't do a thing for me. Natural or nothing. I don't mind fishing lakes that have been stocked that already have a natural/historical record for having the specie, but that's as far as it goes.
Old 01-19-2016, 08:25 AM
Banned

What would work in alberta is to have the same fish laws as Saskabush
And let thoses big fish go. And keep one or two, 20 inch size for the pan
Fishing game does not care about our fish or fisherys it seems. Only if it's a walleye ...??? For example I fish a creek by spedden all there is jack init
Of 20 inches there so hungry they swallow the hook everytime. So your cutting line hoping to save a fish(s) life's. Going fishing there every couples of weeks
All summer and I finaly cought a keeper and yes I did keep it. So no more lil frys from her next year but owell its fish and games fault do to me putting hours
And not being able to just have one lil taste of a nice lil taste jack that the creek is full of. In closing nothing will work here we are doomed in the province
Here's a pic of the avrg size jack and the keeper

Old 01-19-2016, 08:42 AM
Banned

Default We already have that .

Calgary has 5 or 6 of those lakes . You pay 200 to 500
A year. You can fish stocked trout ,swim. Boat , very nice
They stock between 1000 and 5000 trout a year , I have seen them up
To 12 lbs. The kicker is you have to buy a house in that neighbour hood .
I thought the Alberta govt was wasting a pile of money stocking
Small ponds and lakes . Cormorant food.
Chain Lakes south is what you described .
Old 01-19-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:

Not sure I see the difference between the Dixon lake model and something like Muir, other than the cost-to-fish factor. Those fish are also tank-raised, so to speak. The ranger I spoke to indicated it has been tough fishing this year, for whatever reason. From what I saw, you had to work hard to get your fish.
I think the whole SoCal model is more of a family thing with fishing being only a part of the whole concept.
I guess I'll just have to lower my high Alberta moral standards when I go back next week.
Old 01-19-2016, 09:31 AM

Quote:

Agree and well said!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-19-2016, 10:03 AM

[QUOTE=italk2u;3111740]Not sure I see the difference between the Dixon lake model and something like Muir, other than the cost-to-fish factor. Those fish are also tank-raised, so to speak. The ranger I spoke to indicated it has been tough fishing this year, for whatever reason. From what I saw, you had to work hard to get your fish.
I think the whole SoCal model is more of a family thing with fishing being only a part of the whole concept.
I guess I'll just have to lower my high Alberta moral standards when I go back next week.[/QUOTE

Big difference between Muir and that. I love fishing stocked trout lakes and used to fish Big Bear lake in Socal all the time. There are also many beautiful lakes around Mammoth or Bishop that get stocked like we do it here. These are lakes you should check out if you want a more natural feel. Most trout in alberta are stocked at the fingerling or yearling size, they can double their size in one year once released. Once spending a year in the wild they don't act like tank fish. Down in California everyone hits the water the week following the stocking. Truck chasers. We don't do that here. Those big fish have spent several years in a tank just to be dumped and hooked and bagged.

Have fun

The Fishing Doctors Adventures - You May Watch More Than You Bargained For, haha!
https://www.youtube.com/TheFishingDoctorsAdventures
Old 01-19-2016, 03:05 PM

If I was in SoCal I'd be at the beach fishing the surf. I am not sure if it would work because why pay when I can go to lake X for free. There was a place in Winnipeg years ago that ran similarly it lasted a few years.

https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/1285...8SjjiVOueYhMF0
Old 01-19-2016, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by italk2u View Post
The difference being that all those are private enterprise, Dixon lake is municipally owned and publicly funded
Sooooo tax money is better than free enterprise? I think not.

Leave it in the hands of the people, do not make everyone pay for some crappy fishing spot.

For profit put and take lakes exist in Alberta, just don't need them run by the government that is for sure.
Sit back
Pour yourself a tea

Watch us "sportsmen" attack each other and destroy ourselves from within.

From road hunters vs "real hunters" to bowhunters vs rifle hunters, long bows and recurves vs compound user to bow vs crossbow to white hunters vs Native hunters etc etc etc

Enjoy the easy ride, anti hunters. Strange to me why we seem to be doing your job for you.

Excuse me while I go puke.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:22 PM

I don't really have an issue with such a concept. We are halfway there with some little lakes in the city that are stocked. I think High River has such a pond in town as well. I personally wouldn't go there much if at all, but it would be a nice place to take kids with a decent chance to catch fish to whet their appetite for fishing.

I wouldn't be in favour of a private company getting control of a pre-existing natural lake or pond and then cutting off access to the public unless they pay a fee, but if they want to construct a lake and then do that, that's fine with me.