Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2016, 08:52 PM

Default Heating a 6 man ice tent

Just wondering what you guys use to heat a 6 man ice tent when fishing? How hard is it to keep warm in -20 etc. Any info appreciated. I am looking to buy a tent soon and wondering what my best option is
Old 01-04-2016, 09:00 PM

big buddy heater
Old 01-04-2016, 09:02 PM

Big Buddy or a single sunflower will do the trick...that's what I have and never have an issue keeping warm. But also, the tent matters...are you going insullated or non-insulated?

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 01-04-2016, 09:05 PM

Default Heater

I use a sunflower heater on a 20lb propane bottle. Heats the tent up nicely but creates a little condensation on the inside so you have to dry the tent out when you get home.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:26 PM

Looking at the eskimo 6it which has insulated top. I have a mr buddy heater single burner that goes on top of tank 8000-14000 btus.
Old 01-04-2016, 09:48 PM

I think you might be fine with what you have.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 01-05-2016, 12:50 AM
Banned

Default fishing

If you pitched a 20'x20' insulated tarp like this you could heat it with a tin can stove that heats with wood or a propane torch.

If you do not use a chimney on a fire burning any kind of fuel there are the products of combustion to deal with like CO, CO2, water vapor and who knows what other kinds of unhealthy stuff.

Last edited by chimpac; 01-05-2016 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
If you pitched a 20'x20' insulated tarp like this you could heat it with a tin can stove that heats with wood or a propane torch.

If you do not use a chimney on a fire burning any kind of fuel there are the products of combustion to deal with like CO, CO2, water vapor and who knows what other kinds of unhealthy stuff.

In short, YES. CO2 and water vapor with propane, if it's working correctly. If not CO can be released.
NEVER operate a heater of any kind without some ventilation. Even in a perfect scenario, heaters consume O2.

Here is some technical info;
When common fuels are burned in a properly designed, installed, vented, and adjusted furnace or other appliance, there shouldn’t be a CO problem. In your propane furnace, when propane is burned, harmless carbon dioxide (CO2) and water vapour are formed, and useful heat is released.
Small traces of carbon monoxide may also be formed, but these will be harmlessly vented to the outdoors.
But - if the furnace or appliance isn’t functioning properly, excessive amounts of carbon monoxide can be formed. If an appliance that is designed to be vented is not vented, or the venting system isn’t working properly, this carbon monoxide can spill into the living space, creating a hazardous condition.
GET FRESH AIR IMMEDIATELY IF YOU SUSPECT YOU ARE BREATHING CARBON MONOXIDE!
Carbon Monoxide - a Hidden Hazard.
People can become sick -and die- from carbon monoxide.
CO may be produced from smoking a cigarette, vehicle exhaust or burning common heating fuels like wood, coal, fuel oil, kerosene, natural gas and propane.
Where does Carbon Monoxide come from?
Carbon Monoxide - or CO - is a colourless, odourless gas that may be formed when various fuels are not completely burned.
High levels of CO can be generated by appliances that are defective, improperly installed, improperly used or improperly maintained.
CO can enter a building if an appliance venting system or chimney becomes blocked (for example, by a bird’s nest or snow).
Why is it Harmful?
When inhaled in even small quantities, CO is absorbed into the bloodstream where it interferes with the blood’s ability to transport oxygen.
Even very small amounts of CO in the air can be highly dangerous.
CO Formation - What conditions often lead to CO formation and infiltration?
Anything that plugs the vent system: a bird nest, an internal collapse of a masonry chimney, or damage to the vent piping, for example.
Vent pipes rusting through inside a building.
A leaking heat exchanger in a furnace or space heater.
Plugged fresh air vents in crawl spaces, basements, utility rooms, or closets housing a fuel-burning appliance.
Excessive caulking, sealing, or insulation, or the use of taped plastic storm windows can reduce the natural influx of fresh air and “starve” an appliance of oxygen, causing excessive levels of carbon monoxide to form.
Improper air adjustment, wrong orifice size, or misalignment within burner systems, which can create excessive amounts of carbon monoxide that may infiltrate indoors if the vent system isn’t working properly.
Follow these Safety Measures.
Read and follow manufacturer’s operating and maintenance instructions on all appliances and equipment. Have a qualified technician check the system periodically and make any necessary adjustments to ensure proper combustion.
Remodeling or repair work around the house may affect how a furnace or appliance performs. Before you do any insulating, caulking or sealing - or before adding an exhaust fan, wood-stove, or fireplace - call a qualified technician to correct conditions that could create carbon monoxide problems.

CO Contamination & Symptoms of Poisoning - What are some common indicators of CO Contamination?
Chronic headaches, nausea, eye irritation when indoors.
An unidentified chronic odour inside the building.
Dying house plants.
Condensation on cool, indoor surfaces.
Discolouration, or soot build up, at warm air outlets of the heating system.

Remember: Exposure to CO can be Hazardous - even Deadly.
CO may produce flu like symptoms:
headaches
nausea
dizziness
fatigue
irregular breathing
eye irritation
Over time, CO poisoning may result in confusion, disorientation, physical collapse and death. The very young, the elderly, people with heart disease, and those under the influence of alcohol, drugs or medication are particularly susceptible.
Be sure to take corrective action whenever you suspect a problem with your heating system or experience any of the symptoms or conditions described.
WARNING!
If you suspect the presence of carbon monoxide (CO)
Get everyone to fresh air immediately.
Open windows and doors to air out the room or building.
Turn off the suspected appliance - and keep it off until any problem is corrected.
Seek medical assistance if symptoms persist

CO Detectors may Help.
Carbon Monoxide detectors are commercially available, and they may provide additional warning about the presence of this "hidden hazard". Not all detectors have the same sensitivity.
Always read and follow manufacturer's instructions.
Old 01-06-2016, 08:37 AM

Thanks for the info guys. Im aware of the issues of co poisoning was more looking for what size of heater would be needed to heat a 6 man ice tent in -20 weather. Thanks again!
Old 01-06-2016, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2fish View Post
Looking at the eskimo 6it which has insulated top. I have a mr buddy heater single burner that goes on top of tank 8000-14000 btus.
Try yours out in the back yard after you buy the tent. Then you can judge if it's good enough for your likeing.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 01-06-2016, 01:23 PM

I use an Eskimo quickfish 6i and heat it with a little buddy heater. it's a single element with no fan. i run it off a 20lb propane tank and it works just fine. i had it in -30 last year, still had my jacket on but i was nice and warm all day
Old 01-07-2016, 08:05 AM

Awesome! Thats exactly the info i was hoping for. I picked up the eskimo 6it last night on sale. See how it works with my mr buddy. I assume it should be fine. Cant wait to get out to try it now. Thanks guys
Old 01-21-2016, 11:00 AM

Default Diesel Heat

You could use a Trekker heater, an option. It uses a 3" chimney and works off diesel, gravity fed. Doesn't sweat like propane and easy to use. It doesn't have the smoke or smell associated with diesel burners and would work just fine for your application.