Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2016, 08:37 AM

I've got the 949i insulated and the other day it was -14 and I had a single sunflower on low and we had to open the top few inches of the doors to let some of the heat out as it was too warm inside. The nice thing about the insulated tent is the almost complete absence of condensation and frost on the walls and ceiling. Love my tent, but it is big and heavy.
Old 01-04-2016, 12:06 PM

Default Use this

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydangerous View Post
Curtz,

What do you use to refill the 1 lb bottles?

HD
This is what I use $15-$20. I recommend watch a tube video as there are some techniques required when filling.
Hope this helps.
image.jpg

Vegetarian-"native for lousy hunter"
Old 01-04-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydangerous View Post
Curtz,

What do you use to refill the 1 lb bottles?

Not to hijack the original post
I have a few Refill Adapters kicking around in Calgary I can sell to who ever is interested in doing this .

PM Me so we don't trash the OP Thread
Attached Images
File Type: jpg propane adapter.jpg (18.7 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-04-2016, 01:00 PM

to the original post - methyl hydrate and toilet paper. To me it can't be beat and no playing around with propane, no bulky heater to carry and $5 worth of fuel should get you a few days of heat.
Old 01-04-2016, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikka300 View Post
to the original post - methyl hydrate and toilet paper. To me it can't be beat and no playing around with propane, no bulky heater to carry and $5 worth of fuel should get you a few days of heat.
I had to look that up! Great idea!

Do you find it provides decent heat?
Old 01-05-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWB View Post
I had to look that up! Great idea!

Do you find it provides decent heat?
Yes it provides good heat. -20 / -25 with 2 guys fishing in a 3-4 man style hub shelter is no problem - just keep doors closed. Works well in the small 1 man shelters too. This is all I have ever used since I was a kid.
Old 01-05-2016, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Yes it provides good heat. -20 / -25 with 2 guys fishing in a 3-4 man style hub shelter is no problem - just keep doors closed. Works well in the small 1 man shelters too. This is all I have ever used since I was a kid.
Based on your advice I went out today and bought the needed supplies.
Shoppers has 99% Isopropyl Alcohol for $4.99 for a 500 ml so I bought two. (if you ask for it as they keep it in the back). A local paint store supplied me a gallon can and a quart can with lids for 8$.

So for 18$ I have all I need after raiding the bathroom for a roll and a half of paper. The one roll was too fluffly I felt, so I squeezed in more.

I'm glad I bought 2 bottles of 500 ml IA because the quart can took all of one bottle and a little of the second.

Ready to go fishing!
Old 01-05-2016, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
Based on your advice I went out today and bought the needed supplies.
Shoppers has 99% Isopropyl Alcohol for $4.99 for a 500 ml so I bought two. (if you ask for it as they keep it in the back). A local paint store supplied me a gallon can and a quart can with lids for 8$.

So for 18$ I have all I need after raiding the bathroom for a roll and a half of paper. The one roll was too fluffly I felt, so I squeezed in more.

I'm glad I bought 2 bottles of 500 ml IA because the quart can took all of one bottle and a little of the second.

Ready to go fishing!
Hahah well almost. The old pipe tobacco cans work best but a small Timmy's coffee can will work too. Jam the toilet paper in so its tight. I wouldn't pour the methyl hydrate or alcohol into the can until you are out fishing. Pour it in so the paper saturates and a little is kind of floating then light and add fuel as necessary. Buy methyl hydrate at peavey mart or similar store for $5-$8 for 4 litres!!! (Yep it goes on sale). Give it a new roll of toilet paper next season and good to go.
Old 01-06-2016, 02:18 PM

Buddy heater in frabril 2 person. Good to -30.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Hahah well almost. The old pipe tobacco cans work best but a small Timmy's coffee can will work too. Jam the toilet paper in so its tight. I wouldn't pour the methyl hydrate or alcohol into the can until you are out fishing. Pour it in so the paper saturates and a little is kind of floating then light and add fuel as necessary. Buy methyl hydrate at peavey mart or similar store for $5-$8 for 4 litres!!! (Yep it goes on sale). Give it a new roll of toilet paper next season and good to go.
X2 Peavey for 4 litre jug. The stuff is a emergency heat lifesaver on sled or atv. I omit the tp roll anymore and just use gas straight into can or multiple cans with lids for a dampner. it burns long and clean but of coarse open vents same as any heat or flame source.
Old 01-06-2016, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Give it a new roll of toilet paper next season and good to go.
Have I missed something? Why the new role?
Why wont a role last several trips?
Old 01-06-2016, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foot Stomper View Post
Have I missed something? Why the new role?
Why wont a role last several trips?
After one ice fishing season I put a fresh roll in next winter.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:32 AM

Default Diesel Heater

Trekker heaters are diesel heaters that require no electricity to operate, they are gravity fed and based off units used in the US military. It has variable heat from 4K-10K and would be more than enough to heat a tent thats 8' x 8'. Low fuel consumption and maintenance, it offers an alternative to propane. Manufactured in BC and used around the world, its worth considering.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:06 PM
Banned

I wouldn't use any heater that puts out carbon monoxide.If you have to open the tent to let out fumes you're letting in cold.As members of an outdoor forum I think we all have or could use a generator.With an electric heater you will not be breathing in toxic garbage.Also you can run lights,radio etc. I have the perfect gen for this,a carpenter I know had a honda 2000 fall off his truck and couldn't get it to run again.The plastic is busted up a bit,I pulled the plug and shot a lil gas in it and it started first pull.I bought it for a $100.I bought a 1500 radiant heater at Princess for $48 and i think this would do the trick.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:22 PM

I personally like the Kerosene area heaters. They have very adjustable heat, fuel is cheap, they have know over nad low 02 protection and they last a very long time on a gallon of Kerosene.

Last edited by Dean2; 01-21-2016 at 12:31 PM.