Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-28-2015, 01:28 PM

Default Heating YOUR ice fishing tent?

Hi all,

Just wondering what you use to heat your ice fishing tent? I've been using an old Coleman propane heater, but it's useful days are about up. The Mr. Heater units, Little Buddy, Big Buddy, etc., all seem to be fairly popular, but I've read quite a few negative reviews on their models, the most common seems to be that the heaters don't last very long. I was under the impression that people are referring to the ignition system, but I could be mistaken.

What are you personally using to heat your ice fishing tent, if you use a heater? I'm talking about a 3-4 man tent in my case.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:43 PM

I have an Eskimo 949i tent. I use a single burner sunflower style heater on a 20 lb propane tank. Propane lasts a long time and it gets right toasty inside. In fact, most times jimmy rig the system so I can turn it down lower than it is supposed to go.
Old 12-28-2015, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohninAB View Post
I have an Eskimo 949i tent. I use a single burner sunflower style heater on a 20 lb propane tank. Propane lasts a long time and it gets right toasty inside. In fact, most times jimmy rig the system so I can turn it down lower than it is supposed to go.
I just bought the same tent and tried it out for the first time yesterday, so your info is most appreciated. How do you find yours in the wind? Mine didn't seem quite as sturdy as I had hoped it would be yesterday, and it wasn't what I would call super windy.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:02 PM

I use a sunflower (5/10/15K BTUs) as well, on a 10lb tank, lasts me quite a while. Going to get a 5 lb tank next time as this one is a bit heavy (tippy too) to pack/lug around and I usually run it on low anyways.

I only fish in the tent if it's really cold/windy out, hard to catch fish confined to one spot unless it's really good one.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:08 PM

If it is windy out I tie off the hubs(Black loops on outside of tent) to ice anchors on the windy side and also put ice anchors in the corners as well. Works fine then. Also will try and park the truck, if possible, to help break the wind a bit. Know it will pop in if not tied down in winds, that is for sure.

Do know it takes a while for the fabric to stretch so the rods are not curved so much as well.
Old 12-28-2015, 02:15 PM

I use a Big Buddy heater. It's go a fan and heats my 4 man on low-med in -30
Old 12-28-2015, 02:19 PM

Quote:
If it is windy out I tie off the hubs(Black loops on outside of tent) to ice anchors on the windy side and also put ice anchors in the corners as well. Works fine then. Also will try and park the truck, if possible, to help break the wind a bit. Know it will pop in if not tied down in winds, that is for sure.

Do know it takes a while for the fabric to stretch so the rods are not curved so much as well.
Would you recommend the buying the tent? I'm thinking of picking one up here soon
Old 12-28-2015, 03:05 PM

Single sunflower for non-insulated small tent (~12 000 btu) and double sunflower for larger double hub tents works pretty good to -25 C with a light wind.

I have no experience with insulated tents but likely some advantage.

I have LIL buddy and some days when it's real chilly just won't keep up
in a medium size thin wall stand up 10x10X9 tent. Single sunflower fixes that fast when I run both.

1 lb bottles are OK on warm days but go fast if on FULL blast at -20. BEST to put onto hose c/w 5, 10 or 20 lb bottle and never runs out until U need to refill!
Old 12-28-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lromanchuk View Post
Would you recommend the buying the tent? I'm thinking of picking one up here soon
I would buy one again no problem. Insulated is the way to go. If I was fishing 3 or more consistently I would look at the 6120i as it is bigger.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:23 PM

just upgraded (imo)from double sunflower to Big Buddy. Sunflower on top of 20lb tank was always in the way, no safety shut off for low oxygen, no auto ignition, rarely ever used both burners. Big Buddy on sale at Wholesale for 125.00 so was time to switch.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:42 PM

Quote:
I would buy one again no problem. Insulated is the way to go. If I was fishing 3 or more consistently I would look at the 6120i as it is bigger.
Awesome. Thanks.
Old 12-28-2015, 03:51 PM

I've used a Mr Heater Buddy for three years now and I wouldn't be without it. It fires up every time I need it, no problem. I have a SubZero tent and use the heater on low down to -10, then turn it up to high if it's colder. I use a 5lb cylinder and leave it outside the tent with the hose run under the wall to save on space. It's nice and compact, with the tip safety shutoff.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:05 PM

I have the Big Buddy, lots of heat and a fan. I just use the 1lb bottles and refill them from a 20lb.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:18 PM

Buddy heater for me with a 20lb'er. Heats my 4 man (non-insulated) in no time and keeps it perfect in any weather. Just got back from fishing up north in -25 temps. All was good except the fish wouldn't cooperate.

L.S.
Old 12-28-2015, 04:49 PM

Curtz,

What do you use to refill the 1 lb bottles?

HD
Old 12-28-2015, 04:53 PM

When i use the Eskimo Fatfish 9416, i pull out the air tight stove, pipe out the window and its nice dry heat. Propane leaves alot of condensation on the walls.
The tent 8'x14' so it takes alot of btu's when it's -20 or colder.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:08 PM

For what it's worth, I received a buddy heater for Christmas, and in an Uninsulated 2-man, low will provide more than enough heat in -17. (Been out 3 times since getting it, and won't ever go without it.)

Enjoy. (I was sceptical of them, but two buddies of mine have had them for about 5 years, and theirs are still going strong)
Old 12-28-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harleydangerous View Post
Curtz,

What do you use to refill the 1 lb bottles?

HD
My wife ordered me a adapter from e-bay, not sure if some stores carry them.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:52 PM

Insulated tents will hold the heat much better compared to uninsulated models and definitely reduce condensation better.

The trick to using any tent in the wind is pretty simple;

1) erect the tent and anchor it down
2) use the center hub guy lines to anchor the side hubs
3) Put snow on the apron
4) And - as John mentions - park you truck upwind to break the wind a little

As far as a heater goes - I have the big buddy - it can run on one burner or two and has a number of settings for heat. It also has the added benefit of a fan (battery powered) on the unit.

I am currently using my 6 man uninsulated tent (Clam 1660) and have NEVER been cold in there. Pack the apron with snow when its cold and windy and the heat will stay in there pretty good.

I also have a 11lb propane tank, hose and inline filter (which is prevents the unit from burning out prematurely). The 11 lber lasts 6-7 day trips and is pretty reasonably light compared to a full sized tank.

When using "bulk" propane (or refilling bulk propane into small 1lb bottles) you should ALWAYS run a filter as bulk propane contains more contaminants reducing the life of your heater.

Here's the filter ....

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...er/A-p8124315e

Hose ..... (comes in various lengths)

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detai...ly/A-p8008633e

Bottle .....

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/outdoo...ontent=Default
Old 12-28-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
My wife ordered me a adapter from e-bay, not sure if some stores carry them.
http://www.amazon.ca/Heater-F276172-.../dp/B000AMC5WO

Works awesome and it's easy to get many discarded bottles from others. I have almost a dozen now.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:52 PM

Default Works great

He got me on to refilling them a few years back and one of my work trips to the U.S. I grabbed one and have used it ever since. I have somewhere in the are of 15-20 one pounders and refill them in the fall then have enough to last until the ice is thick enough to drive. Then I switch to 20 lb bottle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slingshotz View Post
http://www.amazon.ca/Heater-F276172-.../dp/B000AMC5WO

Works awesome and it's easy to get many discarded bottles from others. I have almost a dozen now.
Old 12-28-2015, 10:39 PM

I just picked up a big buddy a couple months ago. Dumb question but want to get the filter and adapter and refill my 1 lb bottles for the camping lantern and ice fishing. How do you know when an empty 1 pounder is full? Weight?

Thanks
Old 12-28-2015, 10:54 PM

Quote:
I also use the single burner sunflower with a 20lb tank in my Eskimo 9416. Has provided enough heat, usually low/medium is enough to keep it comfortable...
Old 12-28-2015, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
I just picked up a big buddy a couple months ago. Dumb question but want to get the filter and adapter and refill my 1 lb bottles for the camping lantern and ice fishing. How do you know when an empty 1 pounder is full? Weight?

Thanks
Yes - it's a good idea to weigh it ...... 1 lb heavier and she is full.

Even a brand new 1 lber you can slosh it around a little - it's not quite full to allow for proper gas expansion.

I am surprised that nobody has had an issue overfilling a bottle so far - I'm pretty sure overfilling could be really dangerous.
Old 12-29-2015, 06:17 AM

Default Good video

Here is a good Youtube video on how to fill and weight of units.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fD1CmorB_qM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post

Thanks
Old 12-29-2015, 06:25 AM

I use this. Can cook on it too. 20 lb tank.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-29-2015, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
Hi all,

Just wondering what you use to heat your ice fishing tent? I've been using an old Coleman propane heater, but it's useful days are about up. The Mr. Heater units, Little Buddy, Big Buddy, etc., all seem to be fairly popular, but I've read quite a few negative reviews on their models, the most common seems to be that the heaters don't last very long. I was under the impression that people are referring to the ignition system, but I could be mistaken.

What are you personally using to heat your ice fishing tent, if you use a heater? I'm talking about a 3-4 man tent in my case.
I run a buddy heater in my tent.

In my 2 man Frabil tent the Buddy Heater is perfect in -25 and blowing wind.

When I am in my eskimo quick fish 6, I find the buddy heater severly lacking in heat when it is -20 and colder. This is mostly due to the size of the tent.

If I were to put plywood down on the ice and or install a sunflower heater on a 20lb tank then it is very comfortable.

The main issue I found wth the buddy heaters is if you use the 1lb propane bottles, the bottle starts to freeze when it is 1/4 full thus reducing the propane flow. To address this issue you have two options.

1) Carry a few full propane bottles. When one freezes, swap it out and let it thaw for another go.

2) Pick up a buddy propane hose from cabela's, Princess Auto, Fishin Hole (maybe) and attach it to a 20 lb propane tank.

I went for option 2 as I do not like swapping out tanks in the middle of the night if I am camping on the ice... It gets cold very fast!

Hope this helps,
Old 12-29-2015, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
Yes - it's a good idea to weigh it ...... 1 lb heavier and she is full.

Even a brand new 1 lber you can slosh it around a little - it's not quite full to allow for proper gas expansion.

I am surprised that nobody has had an issue overfilling a bottle so far - I'm pretty sure overfilling could be really dangerous.
I have the maccoupler. Never had an issue with overfilling on the refills. I freeze my 1lb tanks for 30 minutes minimum prior to refilling. It is a very inexpensive way to refill the 1 lb ones.

Then I became smarter and picked up a propane hose for my buddy heater and started carting around the 20 lb propane tank.
Old 12-29-2015, 05:12 PM

Default Heater

I have a Frabil 3 Man 7080 Predator . Fully insulated on all sides
With 3M thinsulate . Might be the warmest fishing Outfit anyone
Makes . I use a Mr Heater Buddy 9000 BTU and it's almost to warm on low .
I'm looking for something that runs on propane but smaller and adjustable .
No complaints about my Buddy . Had it for about 8 years . Why re invent the wheel . Go with the Mr.Heater line .
Most guys are pretty pleased with them .
If anyone knows of a smaller propane unit ..... Please share

See you on the Ice !!!!
Old 12-29-2015, 05:27 PM

One thing to add .... there are 3 sizes of the Buddy heaters ....

Lil' buddy - 3800 BTU - $100

Buddy - 4000 BTU or 9000 BTU setting - $ 150

Big Buddy - 3 settings - 4000/9000/18000 BTU with built in Fan - $ 180

I own the big buddy version and would suggest to anyone who looking for a heater to get the big buddy - it's really only a few inches wider and taller compared to the smaller version ..... and you will never be cold in a tent again. On the high setting you are a donair inside the tent - even on the coldest (-40) and windiest days in my large, uninsulated, 6 man tent.

mmmmm ......... donairs on the ice ......... now there's an idea