Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-29-2015, 10:58 PM

Default Bull Trout+first week of June. Options?

Hey guys~I'll be in SW Alberta in the first week of June for some gopher action, but I may plan on bringing some fishing gear if the weather turns...or...if I need a break from laying in fields. Will be staying E of Longview (approximately) and I'm wondering what...if any bull trout opportunities exist? I know I'll need to be prepared to drive, but what are the odds that time of year? I have some experience fly fishing for them in late summer when water levels are low (AB and BC) but I've never pursued them with spinning gear...really don't know where to begin. Any tips on lures (crank baits I assume?)...input on regs, etc.~all greatly appreciated. Although I have lots of hours chasing them, it was never this time of year....so assume I'm starting from scratch.

On a side note, I've been told in the past that pike would (could) be good that time of year...but I'm in Ontario, and pike are very common here. I won't likely take-up valuable suitcase space to bring fishing gear with me to AB to fish for those things. Bull trout on the other hand? Love catching those and of course, releasing every one. Those regs I remember.

Thanks for taking a moment to respond,
GH

PS~other trout species welcome too!
Old 12-30-2015, 04:15 AM

I don't have the regulations in front of me for exact dates, but most of the mountain streams / rivers that have bull trout don't open up for fishing until the middle of June. The other problem at that time of year is runoff - that time of year can also be peak runoff for many flowing waters - the Bow River for example. The most common fish to catch in the Bow are rainbow and brown trout, rocky mountain whitefish, and the odd bull / brook trout. Pike can sometimes be caught too in the Calgary area.

One option for bull trout in early June is Lower Kananaskis Lake. Another option for a different species in that area you could try is Bear Pond for arctic grayling.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:49 AM

Thanks for chiming-in Scott. Greatly appreciated. I'll do a little digging, and probably have a few more questions.

Thanks again.
Old 12-30-2015, 08:57 AM
Banned

I know the red deer river has them and I have a real good honey hole but can't fish that till July 16.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:03 AM

i'm not up to date on the regs in the area anymore for stream closure dates, but the clearwater has nice Bulls and browns in it. Park at the general store on hwy 22 and 54 and do some walking either upstream or sown stream. I always had good luck with brass panther martens.
Old 12-30-2015, 09:33 AM

the Oldman River downstream of highway 22 (south from Longview) holds Bull Trout and opens April 1st. Runoff might be an issue in early June making for high and dirty water but its always worth a try. hope this helps and good luck!

M
Old 12-30-2015, 02:41 PM

Thanks guys~greatly appreciated.
Old 12-30-2015, 03:13 PM

I have done a lot of fly fishing in Alberta specially south. I've caught many bull trout, when fishing for Bulls just remember that they love pink, also any lure that imitates a fish. The broke backs work well, I also seen many Bulls caught with spoons, and spinners. If you find yourself fishing in a spot that allows bait( very rare), you can't beat bacon for Bulls!!
Old 12-30-2015, 03:52 PM

Highwood river like a minute south of Longview. Or you can go west right out of Longview as well. Lots of cutties and bulls
Old 01-21-2016, 10:23 AM

Hey guys...just "bumping" this thread so to speak. The trip is booked. If anyone would care to post photos of their favorite flies/lures/spoons...ideally, beside a ruler or measuring tape~it would be greatly appreciated. Still thinking spinning gear would be the easiest if I can only bring 1 rod, but all my time fishing them has been with fly gear.

Thanks again guys.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhogger View Post
Hey guys...just "bumping" this thread so to speak. The trip is booked. If anyone would care to post photos of their favorite flies/lures/spoons...ideally, beside a ruler or measuring tape~it would be greatly appreciated. Still thinking spinning gear would be the easiest if I can only bring 1 rod, but all my time fishing them has been with fly gear.

Thanks again guys.

Bulls like to swallow your spinner too so I would recommend single J hook spinners!